• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Idealistic Yvonne gets real-life lesson about angmohs

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously, she expects American companies to maintain high moral standards after how they screwed people over Lehman bonds, CDOs

Yvonne, get real, the future is here and it is China

I hope this experience will mend your Pinkerton ways

Home > ST Forum > Online Story
Cancelled trip to flu-hit areas, but unable to claim from travel insurance

IN THE light of the increase in Influenza A (H1N1) cases globally and in Singapore, I decided to cancel my family's trip to the United States and Canada during the school holidays this month.

We had planned this trip a few months ago and were very disappointed that our travel plans had been derailed. However, we heeded the public travel advisory issued by the Ministry of Health (MOH) to avoid non-essential travel to affected areas, which included Canada and the US.

I would like to commend Singapore Airlines, which allowed us to cancel our trip from Singapore to New York without penalising us.

I had also booked domestic air tickets from New York to Toronto on Delta Air Lines and American Airlines, but they refused to let us cancel the bookings and give us refunds, on the grounds that the tickets were non-refundable and that they have not classified New York and Canada as flu-affected areas.

I then called MSIG Insurance, which provided travel insurance for my family, to inquire about claims for non-recoverable expenses due to trip cancellations.

To my surprise, I was told that our medical expenses would be covered if we were infected with H1N1, but trip cancellations due to the flu outbreak were not covered.

I have bought travel insurance for years to give myself peace of mind, but I felt unprotected in this case.

Airlines, travel agencies and insurance companies should play an important role in supporting the public travel advisory issued by MOH, by allowing more flexibility for their passengers or customers who have decided not to travel to affected areas.

I would like to ask the General Insurance Association for advice and assistance to forward this message to its members, and I hope that insurers can exercise empathy and provide their customers with better and wider coverage when dealing with unexpected disease outbreaks such as Sars and H1N1.

Yvonne Kong (Ms)