• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I want to be a CEO

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Nov 9, 2008
YOUR PERSONAL ADVISER: CAREER
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>I want to be a CEO
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->
Q I am currently in an information technology (IT) role looking after a regional centre covering 15 countries in the Asia-Pacific region. I have close to 15 years of IT, accounting and management consulting experience.
I would like to do more. I aim to move into a general manager and eventually a chief executive officer (CEO) position. How would you advise me to go about achieving this goal?

A Assuming you do not have any prior experience in profit and loss (P&L) roles, I would suggest that you consider the possibility of moving into such a role first.
Read up and speak to more people on business and leadership issues. Familiarise yourself with the industry you are in. For instance, who are the key competitors and players, the prospects, and current and future challenges. An MBA programme could also be useful and so would a Finance 101 programme.
Enhance your understanding of managing a business by learning more about the challenges of typical functions within most businesses such as human resources, finance, business development, marketing, sales and logistics.
Second, network with the 'right' people, both within and outside your current office. These could include members of your leadership team, including the CEO, managing director and general manager, and other functional heads.
Third, consider undertaking a 360-degree feedback project. This involves getting confidential feedback from your bosses, peers and subordinates on your leadership behaviour. The key objective should be to identify your strengths - so you can further develop the relevant ones - closing potential gaps and learning new skills.
Lastly, consider hiring an executive/career coach who may be able to play a useful role in your pursuit of your career aspirations.
Paul Heng
NeXT Career Consulting Group, Asia

Advice provided in this column is not meant as a substitute for comprehensive professional advice. E-mail questions to [email protected]

Sangrawi

Alfrescian
Loyal
If after 15 years of working, the writer is still stuck in an IT role and need advice how to be a CEO, he probabaly is not CEO materials in the first place.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
If after 15 years of working, the writer is still stuck in an IT role and need advice how to be a CEO, he probabaly is not CEO materials in the first place.

Am I the Best CEO Material??

Ho_ching.jpg

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He can actually set up a $2 company and call himself CEO or president or any fanciful names he likes.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Q I am currently in an information technology (IT) role looking after a regional centre covering 15 countries in the Asia-Pacific region. I have close to 15 years of IT, accounting and management consulting experience.
I would like to do more. I aim to move into a general manager and eventually a chief executive officer (CEO) position. How would you advise me to go about achieving this goal?
a. suggest dat u resign fr ur job n set up a stall 2 sell fish soup ... 1 chiobu did dat n tink she's making a lot of money ...

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
a. suggest dat u resign fr ur job n set up a stall 2 sell fish soup ... 1 chiobu did dat n tink she's making a lot of money ...

that chiobu is not selling fish soup... she is selling something smelling like dead fish...

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that chiobu is not selling fish soup... she is selling something smelling like dead fish...

ok ... change answer ...

a. suggest dat u resign fr ur job n set up a stall 2 sell smelling dead fish soup ... 1 chiobu did dat n tink she's making a lot of money ...

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am the CEO, CFO, COO, CIO, CTO and CMO of the company. Director and excutive as well. My value added per employee is unbeatable.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
He can actually set up a $2 company and call himself CEO or president or any fanciful names he likes.

Very true. If he can build a $2 company to a $1m or more company, he's as good as any CEO in an established company.

..and if he's high calibre, I wouldn't expect him to write in to ask for advice anyway... looks more like working bull type.