• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I saw a severe problem for opposition.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Currently every party has only a small token of forces..

They are mostly unknown to the community.

May it be qualifications or "looks". okay, i know we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. But both factors are really important. If Obama is ugly I dun think many people would want to vote for him.

If you put people who doesn't make people like them at first sight, or if that person looks like a crook or what, people will not be convinced. Epescially when you are new and running for coming elections.

Unless you have the gift to make people like you. The chances of oppositions making an impression will be very hard.

So oppositions needs to take this into consideration and gather more strength, may it be education qualifications or just a simple pleasant look. Not Manhunt of the year. Just a down to earth Two Goody Shoes Look...LOL..Because some times you could easily sum up a persons character by looking at him/her, and refering to your own mental database of the people you met before. People need someone who will serve them instead of their own interests.

Always remember, your eyes is the window to your soul.

Also very important not too many young people in your team, Otherwise people may think you guys have no experience at all.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Currently every party has only a small token of forces..

They are mostly unknown to the community.

May it be qualifications or "looks". okay, i know we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. But both factors are really important. If Obama is ugly I dun think many people would want to vote for him.

If you put people who doesn't make people like them at first sight, or if that person looks like a crook or what, people will not be convinced. Epescially when you are new and running for coming elections.

Unless you have the gift to make people like you. The chances of oppositions making an impression will be very hard.

So oppositions needs to take this into consideration and gather more strength, may it be education qualifications or just a simple pleasant look. Not Manhunt of the year. Just a down to earth Two Goody Shoes Look...LOL..Because some times you could easily sum up a persons character by looking at him/her, and refering to your own mental database of the people you met before. People need someone who will serve them instead of their own interests.

Always remember, your eyes is the window to your soul.

Also very important not too many young people in your team, Otherwise people may think you guys have no experience at all.

The funny thing is, PAP is guilty of nearly everything you said above, yet it can dominate an entire country.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
pap already established mah...already got brand...

opposition still new, small and weak, brandless...:biggrin:

How come is it that the PAP won the election in 1959 with strategies that no other opposition can win even a GRC, whether the opp used the same strategies or do exactly opposite from all those strategies?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since 1959, we had opposition from the youngest to oldest, dumbest to smartest, the most uneducated to the PHD, the most mainstream to most confrontational, 10 parties meaning 10 or more different strategies.

None won.

The 5 who did win showed no similarities in character, strategy or approach with one another. That's the trickiest part for the opposition to crack.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come is it that the PAP won the election in 1959 with strategies that no other opposition can win even a GRC, whether the opp used the same strategies or do exactly opposite from all those strategies?

because of this handsome and charismatic guy? :biggrin:

limchinsiong2.JPG

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm no gay and do not know how to judge guy's looks, but I feel there were more handsome opposition candidates since his days became over.

I've heard people say Lim Chin Siong hyped the crowds at rallies but how good it was, I believe none of us here knew personally or saw him speak personally. It could be overhyped.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm no gay and do not know how to judge guy's looks, but I feel there were more handsome opposition candidates since his days became over.

I've heard people say Lim Chin Siong hyped the crowds at rallies but how good it was, I believe none of us here knew personally or saw him speak personally. It could be overhyped.

If you listen to his speech, which are available on SDP website, he can really touch the crowds with the words he used....

You need someone like him to topple the LeeRegime...so far there's none yet.....

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually Teekee kinda has a point. These days, there are a lot of "idol" type world leaders. Latest example is Obama, in other countries, Japan's former Premier Koizumi, Russia's Putin and Taiwan's Ma Ying Jeou. U don't have to be handsome like some movie star but they have to be fairly decent looking and very chrismatic

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you listen to his speech, which are available on SDP website, he can really touch the crowds with the words he used....

You need someone like him to topple the LeeRegime...so far there's none yet.....

I haven't come across videos of Lim Chin Siong's speech. If you have any links, please help. Thanks.

What do I mean by an overhype. Francis Seow was a good speaker. No CSJ accent despite being a master of English. People in forums started to put Tang Liang Hong with Seow. They would say good speakers are Seow and Tang. To me, Tang was not one of the worst speakers I have seen but not a good speaker, as much as he could speak many languages. Maybe it was because he could speak many languages that his pronouceation was a little off except Mandarin. Even then his Mandarin was not as good as Seow's English.

jim007jimmyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
because of this handsome and charismatic guy? :biggrin:

limchinsiong2.JPG

This is the real HERO of Singapore. Lim Chin Siong of BS

Dirty Old man in the guise of communism arrested him and group in Operation ColdStore...pls google and do some homework and u will find out the hidden truth which PAP sweep away!

Also old man afraid of the real truth he banned books written by the group eg. 17 Years by Said Z

If go JB please read and teach your children the real history not LKY version!

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually Teekee kinda has a point. These days, there are a lot of "idol" type world leaders. Latest example is Obama, in other countries, Japan's former Premier Koizumi, Russia's Putin and Taiwan's Ma Ying Jeou. U don't have to be handsome like some movie star but they have to be fairly decent looking and very chrismatic

From what I have seen, 3 of the more charismatic opposition I see - Chiam, LTK and CSJ (there are others) are also the most lambasted on the net. No one lambasts Sebastian Teo, Tan Soo Phuan or Seow Khee Leng. Why?

On the contrary, Koizumi's heydays was the days where freedom of speech on the net was most self-stifled in Japan history. Japanese forummers who criticized him would be castigated and cyberbullied to no end and criticism of Koizumi was unheard on the net. Despite his supporters' claim that he is charismatic and is Singapore's Obama or Koizumi, CSJ's critics still outnumber his supporters. Why? Self-centredness typical of Singaporeans? Or that no one really measures up to Obama and Koizumi.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

Because the PAP were willing to do whatever it took, say whatever had to be said, go to bed with whoever it took to win the chinese working class and entrench itself politically.

They were the consummate machivellian politicians and deserved their victory. Can we say the same for the opposition in whatever form today ?

Will they be willing to say whatever has to be said ? Do whatever has to be done, go to bed with whoever it takes in order to achieve political victory ?

Cheers

Locke

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will they be willing to say whatever has to be said ? Do whatever has to be done, go to bed with whoever it takes in order to achieve political victory ?

Cheers

Locke

I'm not sure about the entire process in the history of opposition but after more than 50 years I believe some opposition leaders tried and did that.

To me every avenue has been exhausted. Perhaps it is the timing and the time.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

To me the history of opposition in Singapore, is a litany of failures in leadership, imagination and a navel gazing tendency to look at the past and past practices instead of the future.

The leadership has failed because they have failed to built parties based on the first amongst equals principles. Against the domineering personality of LKY, they have sough to built personalities against LKY all the whilst forgetting that LKY had a team of equally bright and capable leaders.

Have they tried everything ? Going to bed with each other ? God look at the unholy alliance in Malaysia and the Unholy alliance between LKY and the communist pre 1959. How hard has each opposition tried to sleep with rivals within the opposition camp ?

Perhaps they have tried everything, but only in small steps so that they can tell themselves they have tried and all that matters really is that they exists and they stood ? Perhaps at the end of the day, they expect that without a struggle , without leadership, without unity, without imangination, the SG electorate will suddenly decide to wake up and vote a sizeable opposition in ?

Locke