• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I hope recession for 20 years at least

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
having large % of old folks will reduce our tax base. but maybe that's why they moving towards the GST model of a direct tax on consumption.

the best solution is to move to JB like khaw said. i chope mersing first.

Its okay to lower the tax base and the amount collected. Afterall, there is
surplus year after year and the money collected doesn't really improve anything for the man on the street.

The whole idea is towards more sustainable growth and less overcrowding in the 600 sq km island. I cannot imagine having 6.5 million people here, that 10K people per sq km.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NO I haven't gone mad. Let me explain.

I really hope this recession will be prolonged, so that one, people will become less obsessed with consumerism and two, the population will slowly decline to make Singapore a more livable place.

I realise that this may sound counter-intuitive or even cruel to some, but in my worldview, money does not determine the quality of life beyond the basics of living.

Rising GDP does not equal rising quality of life if you have to squeeze like sardines on transport and if there is hardly any space on the beach at weekends; if people have no time for each other and are in a constant rush, not knowing how to enjoy a sunset or sunrise or a simple conversation.

I do not buy material things to show off because I am comfortable with own identity.

I only buy what I need for basic survival and simple food too, nothing fancy, except on a few special occasions.

My hobbies - playing guitar, cycling, reading books in the library - are all almost free and are very healthy for both body and mind.

Do I make sense now?

While you yearn for the worst, Citi and BAC have within 2 weeks rocketed from 97c to 3.01 and 3.00 to 7.22 respectively.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear downgrader,

Your hope will come true.

Watch what Jim Rogers says in this video. He says an even greater depression is coming!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dGCvEJTG0Qg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dGCvEJTG0Qg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Welcome to The 2nd Great Depression! We ain't seen nothing yet thus far.

Jim Rogers who claims to be a billionaire, but is not listed in Forbes's list of world's wealthy people, and he lives in a rented
property claiming that real-estate price will drop further.

If I were a billionaire, I wouldn't hesitate to drop $10m-$20m to buy a property for my own use regardless of market condition.

miosux

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its okay to lower the tax base and the amount collected. Afterall, there is
surplus year after year and the money collected doesn't really improve anything for the man on the street.

to put it crudely, by and large, old folks are a "cost centre" - they consume resources w/o putting any back into the economy. so the younger generations will end up footing the bill, ie our grandkids. eg more $ needed for health care, so less $ available for education etc etc