• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Human rights and your job

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sunday, 16 November 2008
Singapore Democrats

Will your job be there next year, next month, or even the next day? Judging by the reports of job cuts occurring across all sectors, this question must loom large in the minds of workers here.

The ailing manufacturing industry which accounts for close to 26 per cent of Singapore's GDP doesn't seem to be able to shake off its languor. The electronics sector alone is expected to shed some 55,000 jobs in the coming weeks.

The oil sector is also undergoing a major paring down. Oil trading almost halved in September due to the financial crisis and slowing regional demand. The credit crisis has also hit the over-the-counter oil derivatives market that is the cornerstone of Asia's oil and commodities trading.

Shipping is also not spared. Neptune Orient Lines is reducing capacity to rapidly slowing demand. NOL is cutting its available space on Asia-Pacific by close to 25 percent and transpacific capacity by 20 percent.

Of course, with the current financial crisis gripping global markets, hardest hit is the banking and finance sector. DBS Bank announced the shocker that it was cutting 900 jobs in its Singapore and Hong Kong operations.

It is clear that Singapore's economy is nose-diving and the economic rout has just begun. In its wake will be tens of thousands of workers left without a job in this country.

So what can workers do to better fend for themselves and make sure that they are protected in this time of uncertainty? The truth is very little. With a Government whose main motivation is to maximise profit and who has no compunction in sacrificing the well-being of worker-citizens, the picture is gloomy.

National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) chief Mr Lim Swee Say recently expressed disappointment at the retrenchment of DBS staff and that the Staff Union had not been consulted. But other than the obligatory expression, no one expects anything else to happen.

So what if DBS Staff Union had been consulted? The PAP Government did not obliterate trade unionism in the 1960s for nothing. Appointing a cabinet minister to head the NTUC sums up the sorry state in which workers find themselves.

Sure, the Ministry of Manpower did step in to issue guidelines about "responsible retrenchment". Workers should not just be given the pink slip. They should first be told that they would be retrenched - and then given the pink slip.

After all the disappointment have been expressed and the hand-wringing ritual conducted, it is the workers who will be told to tighten their belts and make sacrifices for the nation yet again. They will have to retrain themselves - code for doing anything that will make one a few dollars regardless of one's qualifications and skills.

No workers' rights means no ability to ensure that retrenchment is done only as a last resort, no ability to collectively bargain for retrenchment entitlement, and no ability to affect worker-protection schemes.

But to be able to organise the working sector we need to get the people together, we need for people to speak up, and we need to form independent labour unions. To do these we need the freedoms of speech, association and assembly. In short we need political rights.

Like fire exits, civil and political rights may not be much missed during normal times. But like fire exits, they are life-saving in times of emergency.

Himerus

Alfrescian
Loyal
if there is no job and income to fill your stomach,how do you fight for your human rights and other things.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ironically, human rights were borned out of the ashes of World War Two. It is not in times of prosperity that the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was made.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The writer's point is the civil and political rights are not mere abstract concepts. In a nutshell, the writer means these rights give the people bargaining power to negotiate for better terms in S'pore economy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sunday, 16 November 2008
Singapore Democrats

Will your job be there next year, next month, or even the next day? Judging by the reports of job cuts occurring across all sectors, this question must loom large in the minds of workers here.

Its a poorly written article. Written for the sake of writing in broad abstract terms. Its should have crucified DBS and the colossal failure of NTUC despite its secretary general having a cabinet position. Its the perfect time to work on the hearts and mind of singaporeans as a hungry man is an angry man. Instead, it talks about motherhood statements'

Like fire exits, civil and political rights may not be much missed during normal times. But like fire exits, they are life-saving in times of emergency.

When inflation was going up and commodity prices shooting uparound the world, the SDP held a protest.

When the economy is faltering around the world with retrenchments making a few rounds starting with the US and now here, you come out with a broad article.

Come on!, Wake up, get your teeth in and start making demands be specific. What the hell are we paying a cabinet minister world class salary and his only function is to act for union members. DBS comes under PM' wife's charge and its is state linked and did not have the courtesy to show faith for people that gave so many years.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal.

Another case of ideological dogma ? What should have been said.....though to be fair the SDP said it in a roundabout manner

a. DBS is an idiot and useless
b. NTUC is useless
c. Lim Boon Heng is the NTUC
d. The NTUC Lim Boon Heng and the PAP are idiots and useless
e. Your jobs are at risk. vote oppo to protect your jobs.

What I believed the SDP said

1. Your jobs are at risk.
2. DBS is an idiot
3. Lim Boon Heng and the NTUC are Idiots
4. PAP is an idiot
5. PAP are idiots because they destroyed the unions
6. In destroying the unions the PAP destroyed human rights
7. Human rights are important
8. Rights such as freedom of speech and assembly are important
9. Rights such as freedom of speech and assembly protect your union rights
10. Protecting human rights , protects your union rights protects your jobs.
11. Vote for an opposition that believes and fights for human rights.

I kinda lost them by the fourth point, heartlander that I sometimes am. Fundamentally I agree with the points, just wondering whether these are the points that should be made to win votes versus being right.

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal.

Another case of ideological dogma ? What should have been said.....though to be fair the SDP said it in a roundabout manner

2. DBS is an idiot
4. PAP is an idiot

I kinda lost them by the fourth point, heartlander that I sometimes am. Fundamentally I agree with the points, just wondering whether these are the points that should be made to win votes versus being right.

when jbj around, you call him to retired, do you know that jbj can move the crowds with his human rights, can SDP under the clown?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you got the wrong Lim, Bro. May I also add that this Lim is suppose to be adviser to the DBS union itself, which makes it all the more shocking:eek::rolleyes:

Dear Scroobal.

b. NTUC is useless

2. DBS is an idiot

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal.

b. NTUC is useless

2. DBS is an idiot
4. PAP is an idiot

No politician or political party speaks or writes in this manner. We know where they are coming from but most people can't or don't have the patience to knit the word puzzle to see the picture. This one is particualry bad and must be a new chap.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many in DBS that was retrenched are of "deadwood", high paid but doing little executives.

I find it ironic to link human rights to "deadwood" when most of these "deadwood" actually been abusing their position and giving hell to their stuff, denying many dignity and rights

looking at the rule of economics and keeping the company trim, i see no reason why these "useless" ones should not be let go.

DBS is top-heavy enough. time to lighten the load.