• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How Useless Is Your Degree?

Aaron carter

Alfrescian
Loyal
By Jules of Singapore

When I graduated a decade ago with a degree in Life Sciences and the government promise of a good job in a future industry, I never expected to take a month to land a job.

My first full-time job at a private education company paid a basic salary of $1,800 a month. So much for the value of a degree.

The perks of my job were being able to ghost write assessment books under other authors’ names, teaching 10 two-hour classes a week and not being able to see the sunset on a regular basis. But I also gained the humble experience of washing toilets, taking class attendance and selling stationery at the front counter, which are essential tasks to running a small business and it is hard to find enough people to do.

This is the reality of many graduates who pay tens of thousands to obtain a paper qualification because we are needed to run the future economy and fulfill the dreams of our parents.

I wonder how graduates nowadays feel when they read the news of fresh graduates earning a median monthly gross salary of $3,300 (or a monthly basic salary of $2,820) and realise they aren’t even there yet!

How accurate is the survey? I can’t say for sure, knowing that once I was informed by a university representative that we should refrain from the hassle of filling in the survey if our pay didn’t hit our expectations.​

To my friends in the Financial sector, thank you for propping up the economy with higher productivity levels than the rest of us. Your pay scale and perks are enviable (7 month bonuses for a diploma holder who only joined for 2 months???), but many of you are getting retrenched and left in the cold.

Life is unfair and no one with a degree, Masters or Ph.D. is immune from being let go (I should know).

It’s not a joke that you are being retrenched now. I sincerely hope you do have enough savings because your financial background makes it easier for you to understand the importance of emergency funds and hedging your bets.​

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2016/03/how-useless-is-your-degree.html

oliverlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
everything is an end game created and controlled by the cabal. a degree measures nothing apart from your willingness to spend money, and go through the rigours of an academic system. Are you smarter by the time you leave the process? Did your value as a human being go up? Or did some school get paid because of your patronage?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are far too many graduates. The country needs just a few. The rest up to o level more than enough. Going to university for msny is a waste of time as jobs will differ from what was learned. Better to start at a younger age by apprenticeship. Learn the job at work. And earn a crrtificate if it involves skill such as culinary, carpentry, machining, metal working, brick laying, piping etc.

Sikodolaukazzz

Alfrescian
Loyal
A degree from an unknown university will still pay a handsum sum if you know the people at to top of the business circle or some poleetician.
If you cum from a poor familee background then you need to work extra hard and longer hours.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
U need 6G connectivity for Good GuanXi....leemember a famous Ah Gong once said before

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know someone with just an ITE cert who's making about $10K every month being a self-employed locksmith. No overheads and he gets around on a motorbike. How many graduates with degrees getting $10K a month?

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know someone with just an ITE cert who's making about $10K every month being a self-employed locksmith. No overheads and he gets around on a motorbike. How many graduates with degrees getting $10K a month?
Must show incum tax return lah

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pursing a degree was like setting up a chicken rice stall next to other 10 chicken rice stalls in the same building and expect to make profit. The ITE cert guy, decided not to follow the trend and set up, the one and only, barber shop next door.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pursing a degree was like setting up a chicken rice stall next to other 10 chicken rice stalls in the same building and expect to make profit. The ITE cert guy, decided not to follow the trend and set up, the one and only, barber shop next door.
There are many way to make $$$
Degree is just one of the way
6th G 无敌天地网is another
Many also cheong Housing Agents

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
lol locksmith earn $10k? Maybe on a good month. And even then it’s shit pay. No cpf, no annual leave , no bonus. And these days everyone use electronic door lock, who uses that shit old lock and key?

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
lol locksmith earn $10k? Maybe on a good month. And even then it’s shit pay. No cpf, no annual leave , no bonus. And these days everyone use electronic door lock, who uses that shit old lock and key?

At least he can afford to send his kid to Australia to study.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is this a good degree?

JCU-Degree-Certificate-1-320.jpg

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a difference between technical skills, marketable skills, life skills and education....singkies disdain technical skills because it's hands on physical job...must do office work as it's more high class