• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How many are using VISTA?

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
PC hardware nowdays are not very reliable. Have had to replace my video card(within weeks of purchase), power supply(within 1 year) & HDD(a WD Raptor within 2yrs). Got to keep those receipts handy :biggrin:

Hi johnny333, I would say that sometimes it would be ideal to pay a small premium at the start when purchasing PC parts, instead of saving that small % of difference, and ending up paying a high price down the road.

For example, purchasing a power supply: Most consumers get cheapskate 500W, 600W no-brand power supplies for under $100. Few months down the road, the system gets unstable due to worn out capacitors supplying insufficient current to the computer parts.

Good power supplies at 500W and above will never cost under $100; this is something that most consumers are not aware of. Since to most consumers, a power supply is a power supply - if it can turn on my PC, why the hell should I pay 50% more for a $150-500W power supply? I don't get any speed increase. Neither will my Facebook page load faster.

This is a very wrong concept that most PC consumers have.

If you are already aware of this, then it is good.

Hope it helps.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When my desktop running xp bit the dust, i thought i will go out and get another new machine with xp but all the shops were selling vista loaded os.
I have a laptop that runs on vista and i hated it so my next option was to get a mac.
So far very happy with it.

The Mac HW seems more reliable & the OS is less messy. Haven't had a problem with my 8 year old iBook except with the system batteries :smile:

I've long upgraded the memory to the max. I am using an external SCSI HDD & from time to time upgrade that.

The only upgrade you will need from Apple is an OS upgrade. You'll eventually have to upgrade the Mac OS if you want to use the latest SW. The cost of Mac OS updates is very reasonable unlike Windows bewildering choices for Vista :eek:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi johnny333, I would say that sometimes it would be ideal to pay a small premium at the start when purchasing PC parts, instead of saving that small % of difference, and ending up paying a high price down the road.

If you are already aware of this, then it is good.

Hope it helps.

I never skimp on PC parts & always get "branded" parts. :smile: As you've pointed out the price differential is not so great. Putting together a DIY PC already saves me $$$ but the main advantage of a DIY is that you get to choose the best parts.

The parts that failed were branded: PS(Antec 500watts), Video card(MSI), HDD(Western Digital Raptor).

I remember someone else complaining on the problems he had with Asus motherboards but in my case never had problems with Asus motherboards. I currently have 2 PCs with Asus MBs one running AMD & the other Intel processor.