• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hougang By-Election Playbook

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lets all agree that LTK does not take rash actions. He is also very cautious. The Hougang franchise was built by LTK and WP. YSL did not have the time to put his mark on his and there is little link emotionally. He is also bland by nature and regarded as an assistant and not a politician in his own right.

WP and the leadership did not have to take this decision. I am fully aware that this decision caught you by surprise. Your aim was not YSL but WP. WP has come out of this smelling of roses. If by-elections is called now or shortly, I see an increase in their votes.

To the man in the street, they have demonstrated the moral capacity that PAP cannot match.

Lets not forget the by-election effects (Bees). Compound that fact that CSM, SL, Pritam, GG, Yee and LTK campaining on behalf of their candidate of choice. All of them are personable, approachable, educated and well regarded.

I will be very surprised if PAP calls a by-election. The consitutional and the Parliamentary Elections Act is silent on the time requirement. d

I agree with your observations.

The Yaw-gate has caused the middle ground voters to lose confidence in WP, as well as opposition movement. The sacking of Yaw could only savage part of the middle ground voters portion. The win will be less than 60%, provided that it is a straight fight.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

Have given my reasons to GMS who shares the same viewpoint. The Hougang franchise is owned by LTK and WP and not YSL. He did not have the time to put his mark on it. They are just taking back from him for poor husbandry.

Think 70% is too much to ask for.

1)Yaw have been working in Hougang for some time. The new guy coming in, does he have that long a history in Hougang?

2)There is also the LTK effect, when LTK left Hougang, some of those in Hougang saw themselves as the last bastion for opposition and it cannot fall hence they voted for the opposition. Aljunied was the same, a number of pple I've met have express the same during the last GE, they were afraid that Hougang might fall and they thought themselves responsible for ensuring the continuing presence of opposition members in Parliament. Now that LTK have secured Aljunied, some of those votes might be gone. Those are critical coz those demographics are basically the middle ground

3)WP major screw up during the ministerial debate

4)They did score some points by sacking Yaw but the fact that it had to drag this long basically only ensures they win back the opposition vote rather then the middle ground. They should have been more decisive and do it within the first 2 weeks.

5)PAP making various policies in recognition of the problems in the last GE.

I have no doubts in a straight up fight the PAP will lose, but WP will do very well to get the same number of votes as the last GE. 70% is too much to ask IMO

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have said that whatever happens to Yaw, WP will survive more than the FVI given the way things are going. It's coming to a pass. 3 candidates from 2011 are finished at least for 2016, and ironically one could have had not been. Insects have no ears.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Couple of things to get out of the way.

The Govt can drag its feet as they have done in the past in calling for a by-election as both the Consitution and the Parliamentary Elections Act is silent on this. Secondly, if it is called, it will be the usual ligthing speed of 9 days. With the above in mind, couple of scenarios are likely.

Before going into these scenarios, I would suggest that a landmark 70% vote to WP is possible if the right strategy is in play.

The PAP has vast resources at its disposal but do bear in mind that it did not help Tony Tan and he limped home with votes slightly over 30%. So it not just resources but how well they are prepared to treat Singaporeans.

If it indeed garners 70% and above, its sets the tone on many fronts for the Singapore in terms of expectations. It may also open the doors to competent and capable individuals who in the past had negative connotation of politics. The pool then become wider for those keen on opposition politics. It can only mean good things for Singapore.

It will be the 3rd embarassing elections for PAP. I tell you all these is possible because PAP has dug their own grave using CHUA LEE HOONG to screw WP and SPH knows no boundary in pulling down WP image. Tolerance has its limit, WP finally retaliate and send the chill down PAP spine. This is going to be a great show of all time in Singapore. I just love to screw PAP many rounds...

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At this current stage and situation, I do not think opposition should go into multi-corner fight. I will definitely not contribute to such multi-corner fight.

We have come so far in building democracy in Singapore and now, opposition is taking a hit from Yaw-gate. It is only right for opposition to unite at this instance to safe guard Hougang.

Goh Meng Seng

Yup, I agree with you on this!! When by-election is called - mobilise all oppostions and Singaporeans to Hougang never seen in Singapore history. Let's give Houang residents the boost of morale and put them on world map this time. Most importantly send a strong signal to PAP that we don't agree with their PAY REVIEW and many other happenings in PAP backyard. I am getting quite excited already now that WP has opened up the 3rd challenge on PAP.

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroobal,

I think until now, you still don't realize that it is not WP I am after, but just idiots like YSL and those WP Insect Bureau insects appearing here.

Some proxy from WP called me up and asked me why am I "attacking" WP/YSL. For people who have not committed a decade of their lives to opposition cause, it will be very difficult for them to understand my feelings. As I have said in my Chinese clarification email to Sin Ming, opposition as a whole, has suffered greatly since 1991 due to SDP internal strife. We have lost the confidence and trust of the middle ground voters since then until GE2011. That is a whole 20 years. Yaw-gate could potentially send WP and opposition as a whole back to history.

Some people thought that what happens in WP won't affect other opposition parties. This is wishful thinking. Historical fact says otherwise: what happens in SDP had affected other opposition parties as a whole.

I have spent 10 years in opposition involving in rebuilding its image, be it WP or NSP. We finally regained the confidence and trust of the middle ground voters by winning six seats for WP and achieving dramatic improvement for other opposition parties. I scolded YSL as idiot and he is really no less than that. His selfish consideration of hiding behind a stone wall has put the whole opposition movement at high risk. WP should not condone such behaviour and I am glad WP under LTK has finally removed this cancerous tumour.

For a person who is involved in rebuilding opposition for the past 10 years, I have every right to feel angry against YSL for bringing shame and confidence crisis to the opposition. Only insects have no brains to feel that way. I would not be bothered for other opposition supporters to scold me for being critical of YSL and WP for the past weeks. As it is now, since WP has finally done the right thing, I would applaud its decision to expel YSL.

For YSL, I have only this to say 天作孽,犹可违,自作孽,不可活。

Goh Meng Seng

Lets all agree that LTK does not take rash actions. He is also very cautious. The Hougang franchise was built by LTK and WP. YSL did not have the time to put his mark on his and there is little link emotionally. He is also bland by nature and regarded as an assistant and not a politician in his own right.

WP and the leadership did not have to take this decision. I am fully aware that this decision caught you by surprise. Your aim was not YSL but WP. WP has come out of this smelling of roses. If by-elections is called now or shortly, I see an increase in their votes.

To the man in the street, they have demonstrated the moral capacity that PAP cannot match.

Lets not forget the by-election effects (Bees). Compound that fact that CSM, SL, Pritam, GG, Yee and LTK campaining on behalf of their candidate of choice. All of them are personable, approachable, educated and well regarded.

I will be very surprised if PAP calls a by-election. The consitutional and the Parliamentary Elections Act is silent on the time requirement. d

BlueWave

Alfrescian
Loyal
stupid fark gms dog,

you know how to say what ysl do will affect opposition as a whole. you dont know what you gms do here will also affect oppo's image?

:oIo::oIo: know how to point fingers at others but dont know how to behave yourself. just see how many pro-oppo forummers you managed to piss off here can already. gms : u r a retard :oIo:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
stupid fark gms dog,

you know how to say what ysl do will affect opposition as a whole. you dont know what you gms do here will also affect oppo's image?

:oIo::oIo: know how to point fingers at others but dont know how to behave yourself. just see how many pro-oppo forummers you managed to piss off here can already. gms : u r a retard :oIo:

His NSP insects dragged private matters such as business matters into the fray as well and the NSP hive doesn't even have the EQ to say that they won't touch Hougang. Why I am not surprised that the FVI never see the other side because its bug eyes do not help. Altruistic? Joke, maybe.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The HG voters and Singaporeans will be sensitive towards any kind of feet-dragging by the PAP. If they feel that it is so, I am not surprised the people's reaction will come in the form of a backlash. If the PAP intends to merge HG into a GRC, I wager that they will lose another GRC.

People's sentiments since last GE have not been adequately appeased yet.

So damned if they do, and damned if they don't call a BE.