• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hotel offers ladies-only parking lots

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,195853,00.html?

By Hedy Khoo

March 16, 2009

NP_IMAGES_HKPARK5.jpg

TNP PICTURE: CHOO CHWEE HUA

See that colour? See that icon?

It's for you, ladies.

If you drive to the Furama RiverFront Hotel on Havelock Road, you can park in these pink lots.

Seven lots on the ground floor of the hotel's carpark are reserved for women drivers.

What's the idea, though?

Are women such lousy drivers they need special lots to park their cars?

Not at all, said Mr Vincent Kerk, 44, the hotel's general manager.

'It's a fallacy that women are bad drivers,' he said.

Pampered guests

'Women deserve to be pampered, and this is our hotel's way of taking care of our female guests.'

He came up with the idea after the opening of the hotel's in-house spa last November.

The hotel had received feedback from several of the spa's clients, mostly women, about the lack of parking space during their visits and decided on a creative approach to solve the issue.

The hotel's carpark has seven decks and 278 lots in all, with two reserved for handicapped drivers.

Said Mr Kerk: 'At first we reserved three lots for the spa's clients, but decided to dedicate more lots for female guests of the hotel for their convenience.'

Mr Kerk pointed out that safety was also a consideration as the ladies-only lots are located on the ground floor.

'Female guests need only walk less than 15 metres to get into the hotel lobby, and it's easier for those in high heels,' he said.

Also, female guests who come with their young children in prams have an easier time getting to the lobby.

So far, the hotel has received positive feedback from its clients.

'We also have male guests who comment that it's thoughtful of our hotel to reserve these lots for the ladies,' said Mr Kerk.

On the whole, most of the hotel's male guests respect the 'Ladies Only' sign, but a few still park in those lots.

'But it's not a problem. Once our security officer approaches them and tells them nicely that those lots are only for ladies, most of them get so embarrassed they move off.

'Some of their faces turn as pink as our lots,' added Mr Kerk with a laugh.

One regular spa patron who also frequents the restaurants at the hotel, Miss Tina Ow, an associate magazine publisher in her mid-30s, said she appreciated the ladies-only parking spaces.

She has been parking at those lots on recent visits.

Said Miss Ow: 'It is interesting and innovative of the hotel to have these lots for ladies. It's a nice privilege to have as a female guest.'

Miss Vivian Chak, 28, a marketing executive, also welcomes the idea of reserving lots for women and hopes it can be done at other carparks.

'I don't like to walk in carparks alone, especially at night, so it's a good idea to have parking lots near the entrance for female drivers,' she said.

One male driver we spoke to was not keen on the idea.

'I think it's discrimination,' said Mr Andrew Keitley, 36, a director of logistics.

'It's a silly idea.'

Miss Marilyn Teo, 29, a sales manager, also felt there was no need to have lots reserved for women.

'We can just park in normal lots. We are not handicapped,' she said.

'I would feel a little odd parking in a bright pink lot.'

However, she admitted she would still park in such a lot if it was convenient.

Royston46

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN, I went there to eat few weeks ago, was so surprised to see such lots allocated to Ladies only...

This is actually an insult to ladies, especially those rare good lady drivers...

:biggrin:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
if there are parking lots specially reserved for males only, all the female species will sure KPKB..

if this ain't sexist, wonder what is..

jw5

Loyal
KNN, I went there to eat few weeks ago, was so surprised to see such lots allocated to Ladies only...

This is actually an insult to ladies, especially those rare good lady drivers...

:biggrin:
It's not meant to demean their parking or driving.
But if some ladies take it that way, then that's too bad.

jw5

Loyal
if there are parking lots specially reserved for males only, all the female species will sure KPKB..

if this ain't sexist, wonder what is..
There's always double standards where it comes to preferential female treatment.

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no idea how to react when I saw this news. To me, if you do not call it sex discrimination, I have no idea what else to call this. :p

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no idea how to react when I saw this news. To me, if you do not call it sex discrimination, I have no idea what else to call this. :p

this is common in developed countries.

when women with babies could easily access the entrance of the establishments.

likewise, there's special handicapped parking lots too.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is common in developed countries.

when women with babies could easily access the entrance of the establishments.

likewise, there's special handicapped parking lots too.

I can understand if its for the handicapped but babies?? What if a guy was driving with his baby? What about senior citizens?

They should have just provide valet parking :rolleyes:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nice idea
but how do you enforce the rule.
what can you do the man who park there? you going to fine them, shame them, beat them up?

Tommyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is called Sexism,

Pink lot for a "LADY" only, i.e. nice / young / pretty.

Blue Lot for Macho Man.

Grey Lot for grey elderly people.

White Lot for Dead people.

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,195853,00.html?

By Hedy Khoo

March 16, 2009

NP_IMAGES_HKPARK5.jpg

TNP PICTURE: CHOO CHWEE HUA

See that colour? See that icon?

It's for you, ladies.

If you drive to the Furama RiverFront Hotel on Havelock Road, you can park in these pink lots.

Seven lots on the ground floor of the hotel's carpark are reserved for women drivers.

What's the idea, though?

Are women such lousy drivers they need special lots to park their cars?

Not at all, said Mr Vincent Kerk, 44, the hotel's general manager.

'It's a fallacy that women are bad drivers,' he said.

Pampered guests

'Women deserve to be pampered, and this is our hotel's way of taking care of our female guests.'

He came up with the idea after the opening of the hotel's in-house spa last November.

The hotel had received feedback from several of the spa's clients, mostly women, about the lack of parking space during their visits and decided on a creative approach to solve the issue.

The hotel's carpark has seven decks and 278 lots in all, with two reserved for handicapped drivers.

Said Mr Kerk: 'At first we reserved three lots for the spa's clients, but decided to dedicate more lots for female guests of the hotel for their convenience.'

Mr Kerk pointed out that safety was also a consideration as the ladies-only lots are located on the ground floor.

'Female guests need only walk less than 15 metres to get into the hotel lobby, and it's easier for those in high heels,' he said.

Also, female guests who come with their young children in prams have an easier time getting to the lobby.

So far, the hotel has received positive feedback from its clients.

'We also have male guests who comment that it's thoughtful of our hotel to reserve these lots for the ladies,' said Mr Kerk.

On the whole, most of the hotel's male guests respect the 'Ladies Only' sign, but a few still park in those lots.

'But it's not a problem. Once our security officer approaches them and tells them nicely that those lots are only for ladies, most of them get so embarrassed they move off.

'Some of their faces turn as pink as our lots,' added Mr Kerk with a laugh.

One regular spa patron who also frequents the restaurants at the hotel, Miss Tina Ow, an associate magazine publisher in her mid-30s, said she appreciated the ladies-only parking spaces.

She has been parking at those lots on recent visits.

Said Miss Ow: 'It is interesting and innovative of the hotel to have these lots for ladies. It's a nice privilege to have as a female guest.'

Miss Vivian Chak, 28, a marketing executive, also welcomes the idea of reserving lots for women and hopes it can be done at other carparks.

'I don't like to walk in carparks alone, especially at night, so it's a good idea to have parking lots near the entrance for female drivers,' she said.

One male driver we spoke to was not keen on the idea.

'I think it's discrimination,' said Mr Andrew Keitley, 36, a director of logistics.

'It's a silly idea.'

Miss Marilyn Teo, 29, a sales manager, also felt there was no need to have lots reserved for women.

'We can just park in normal lots. We are not handicapped,' she said.

'I would feel a little odd parking in a bright pink lot.'

However, she admitted she would still park in such a lot if it was convenient.
Soon, the Women's Charter will be amended to require all car parks in SG to have a minimum required number of 'Ladies Only' parking lots that are close to entrances and lifts. Males parking offenders will be fined $5,000 or jailed for 6 months, or both!

Last edited:

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/Drivers/Story/A1Story20090409-134345.html

Thu, Apr 09, 2009
The Straits Times

20090409.125209_parking-lot.jpg

Sorry guys, these lots are not for you

By Alessa Pang

CARPARK lots for the disabled? Check.

Lots for VIPs? Check.

Lots for families? For women with children? For women only?

Yes, there are, in at least four commercial buildings, a Straits Times check has uncovered.

Century Square in Tampines has six parking lots, located close to the lift lobby on the first storey and marked by pink banners, reserved for women with children below the age of 10.

These are barricaded, so women drivers need to get a carpark attendant, stationed at an office next to the lots, to give them access to the lots.

This privilege, coupled with other facilities such as hotel-standard ladies' restrooms, is in line with Century Square's positioning as a ladies-biased mall.

Not that male drivers do not try to use these reserved lots.

Said carpark attendant Fauziah Abu Othman, 50, who is in charge of the lots from 9am to 10pm: "It's not easy to keep track during peak hours. Sometimes, there are drivers who just move these barriers down themselves and park there even though they're not supposed to.

"There are also times when I'm not quick enough to place the barriers upright after a driver leaves. Drivers without children then quickly use this chance to park their vehicles in these lots."

Furama Riverfront Hotel sets aside seven lots for women out of its 278 lots. They are conspicuously painted pink with logos which clearly demarcate them from the usual lots.

Ms Daphne Sim, assistant marketing communications manager at Furama, said: "The location is convenient and they only have to walk up the ramp to reach the entrance to the hotel lobby."

She added: "It is also less tiring for women, especially when they are in heels."

And if a man decides to park in the pink lot, "we just tell him nicely that they are meant for ladies only", Ms Sim said.

"It has been well-received. Some women feel safer parking nearer to the entrance and men are fine with it as only a few lots have been taken up."

Furniture retailer Ikea has lots reserved for families at its two outlets in Alexandra Road and in Tampines. It makes no distinction between male and female drivers.

The reserved lots are located nearer the entrance, and bigger than the normal lots to help parents, especially those with young children, load and unload bulky prams more easily.

Event organiser Mary Tan, 42, appreciates the family-friendly effort. "It's better to have bigger lots. It prevents parents from accidentally scratching neighbouring cars when they unload prams."

While Ikea's family lots got the thumbs up, some ask why the other two buildings make it a point to cater to female drivers.

Company director Abdullah Othman, 42, said: "It's neither very relevant nor practical. If you're talking about families, especially those with elderly parents, then it would be a good idea."

His wife, part-time lecturer Roselinah Rasiman, 39, agreed, saying: "I can see the reason behind the family lots at Ikea but I can't say the same for these ladies-only lots."

Prisons officer Amir Johar, 36, said Century Square's lots "should also include men who come here with children".

The mall's general manager, Ms Stephanie Ho, said: "Although these lots are primarily reserved for women with children, the management does make exceptions for men with young children."

READ MORE
- Ladies-only parking lots

A spokesman for the Association of Women for Action and Research (Aware) said parking lots should be family-friendly, rather than just women-friendly.

The spokesman also said carparks should be made safer for women drivers. Apart from locating such lots closer to lift lobbies, there should be good lighting, clear visibility and closed-circuit television cameras in place to ensure the safety of female drivers.

"There is no need for reserved lots near lift lobbies if the carpark has the above features. Even if they have to walk a little farther to get to the lift lobbies, they would not feel their safety is being compromised," she said.

[email protected]

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
singaporean men are second class citizen here? at least from eyes of those well-educated ladies, they are! i have known the insults his former gal-frend gave to my frend, later married to a white man age could be her father, and now work to support this old man?! what the fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singaporean men are second class citizen here? at least from eyes of those well-educated ladies, they are! i have known the insults his former gal-frend gave to my frend, later married to a white man age could be her father, and now work to support this old man?! what the fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

No, Sporean males are not 2nd class :rolleyes:

1st Class, PAP elite
2nd class, angmo
3rd class, females
4th class, foreign workers
5th class, NS guys
6th class, old Sporeans waiting to withdraw their CPF