• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious HFMD cases surge to near-record high

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore could be heading for one of its worst hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) outbreaks, with infections hitting near- record numbers over the past few months.

The 18,241 infections so far are the second highest for the first 21 weeks of a year, exceeded only by the 21,102 in 2012. In contrast, the median number for the same period over the past five years is 8,193.

Associate Professor Chong Chia Yin, a senior infectious disease consultant at KK Women's and Children's Hospital, said more than 200 children have been hospitalised there for HFMD this year.

"Most of these children were admitted for fever and poor feeding, mild dehydration or febrile fits due to their high fever. None suffered serious complications," she said.

Serious complications are rare, but the infection could damage the brain, lungs or heart. Symptoms of HFMD include fever, ulcers in the mouth and on the tongue, blisters on the hands, feet and buttocks, poor appetite and lethargy. A child can become dehydrated from not drinking enough because it hurts to do so.

During an outbreak of HFMD in 2000-2001 associated with the more dangerous EV71 strain, there were seven deaths.

The current epidemic has been fuelled in part by parents who send their sick children to childcare centres, and refuse to take them home when asked to do so.

Madam Marjorie Zaccheus, principal of Presbyterian Community Services Tampines Childcare Centre, which has been hit by a spate of cases, said that when she suspects a child has HFMD, she keeps him away from other children and asks his parents to take him home.

"The parents say they are coming but they don't turn up until closing time. Others don't answer the phone," said Madam Zaccheus.

She said that holding a full-time job is no excuse. "If both parents are working, they should look for alternative care. They should have someone to look after their children in case of sickness or emergencies. What will they do if the centre has to close?" she added.

The children are checked for fever and ulcers or rash when they arrive. But Madam Zaccheus said that, sometimes, the person accompanying the child is not a parent or guardian. "In these cases, I have to accept them. I have no alternative."

But the centre, which has 79 children, does not have the resources to effectively quarantine a sick child. It had 20 HFMD cases in the last month and a half.

Mr Joe Tan, 38, whose three-year-old daughter was one of the 20 infected, said: "It's irresponsible for parents to leave a sick child here."

He added: "Not only is the child already uncomfortable because of the sickness, but he would also feel lonely and isolated if he has to be separated from the other children."

Despite the high rates of infection at the centre, many parents have chosen not to keep their children away.

"I'm definitely concerned but, as a working parent, I don't have much of a choice. All I can do is pray for the best for my kid," said accountant Rosalind Goh, whose son has not contracted HFMD.

Adults, too, can get HFMD and it is usually more severe.

Mr Tan recalled that when his wife Oon Bee caught the infection from their infant son some years back, she was sick in bed for a week with high fever and had a hard time eating because her mouth was full of ulcers.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...rce=Facebook&link_time=1465429787#xtor=CS1-10

Attachments

• ST_20160609_CHILD09_2354139.pdf
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 338

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
18,241 cases of Hand Foot and Mouth disease so far this year, WTF. We are 3rd World!

Fuck lah, 20 years ago, I never even heard of Hand Foot and Mouth disease. All through my school years, and years in the army, I never saw one case. Being a pioneer generation, I cans safely say health standards not as high then as now. But what the fuck is all these diseases hitting us like an epidemic of plagues. First it was record cases of Malaria, now this record cases of HFMD. When will the PAP figure out its their pet FTs that are bringing in all these diseases. When you call shits from 3rd world countries like China, India, Phillippines, Vietnam, etc "talents" and you allow them in, they will bring their disgusting health and hygiene habits with them. hence we, the genuine sinkies have to suffer for it. Is it the PAP's way to earn extra income through all the medicines and hospital stays that they can sell?

HFMD cases surge to near-record high

Singapore could be heading for one of its worst hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) outbreaks, with infections hitting near- record numbers over the past few months.

The 18,241 infections so far are the second highest for the first 21 weeks of a year, exceeded only by the 21,102 in 2012. In contrast, the median number for the same period over the past five years is 8,193.

Associate Professor Chong Chia Yin, a senior infectious disease consultant at KK Women's and Children's Hospital, said more than 200 children have been hospitalised there for HFMD this year.

"Most of these children were admitted for fever and poor feeding, mild dehydration or febrile fits due to their high fever. None suffered serious complications," she said.

Serious complications are rare, but the infection could damage the brain, lungs or heart. Symptoms of HFMD include fever, ulcers in the mouth and on the tongue, blisters on the hands, feet and buttocks, poor appetite and lethargy. A child can become dehydrated from not drinking enough because it hurts to do so.

During an outbreak of HFMD in 2000-2001 associated with the more dangerous EV71 strain, there were seven deaths.

The current epidemic has been fuelled in part by parents who send their sick children to childcare centres, and refuse to take them home when asked to do so.

Madam Marjorie Zaccheus, principal of Presbyterian Community Services Tampines Childcare Centre, which has been hit by a spate of cases, said that when she suspects a child has HFMD, she keeps him away from other children and asks his parents to take him home.

"The parents say they are coming but they don't turn up until closing time. Others don't answer the phone," said Madam Zaccheus.

She said that holding a full-time job is no excuse. "If both parents are working, they should look for alternative care. They should have someone to look after their children in case of sickness or emergencies. What will they do if the centre has to close?" she added.

The children are checked for fever and ulcers or rash when they arrive. But Madam Zaccheus said that, sometimes, the person accompanying the child is not a parent or guardian. "In these cases, I have to accept them. I have no alternative."

But the centre, which has 79 children, does not have the resources to effectively quarantine a sick child. It had 20 HFMD cases in the last month and a half.

Mr Joe Tan, 38, whose three-year-old daughter was one of the 20 infected, said: "It's irresponsible for parents to leave a sick child here."

He added: "Not only is the child already uncomfortable because of the sickness, but he would also feel lonely and isolated if he has to be separated from the other children."

Despite the high rates of infection at the centre, many parents have chosen not to keep their children away.

"I'm definitely concerned but, as a working parent, I don't have much of a choice. All I can do is pray for the best for my kid," said accountant Rosalind Goh, whose son has not contracted HFMD.

Adults, too, can get HFMD and it is usually more severe.

Mr Tan recalled that when his wife Oon Bee caught the infection from their infant son some years back, she was sick in bed for a week with high fever and had a hard time eating because her mouth was full of ulcers.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Re: 18,241 cases of Hand Foot and Mouth disease so far this year, WTF. We are 3rd Wor

We used to roam the streets bare footed, climbing fruit trees and going into longkangs without any issue.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: 18,241 cases of Hand Foot and Mouth disease so far this year, WTF. We are 3rd Wor

luckily me and john tan send our children to etonhouse and Montessori,we have absolutely no problem with any sort of disease or viral outbreak whatsoever unlike the typical sinkies who send their kids to peasant child care.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We used to roam the streets bare footed, climbing fruit trees and going into longkangs without any issue.

We do not have so many foreigners roaming the land, with their dirty hands, legs & mouths back then.....

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

We do not have so many foreigners roaming the land, with their dirty hands, legs & mouths back then.....

My bad, we had less than 1.5 million then; now it's more than 5.1 million

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal

Now 6millions in Singapore.
Only 2.5 millions is real Singaporean.
Well done pap.
Bring in more to kill own citizens

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal

luckily me and john tan send our children to etonhouse and Montessori,we have absolutely no problem with any sort of disease or viral outbreak whatsoever unlike the typical sinkies who send their kids to peasant child care.

U are too poor to do that

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

20 out of 79 kids are infected. Thats serious. In the past when there these were detected it was traced to families returning form OZ and countries where there were visited patting zoos and hobby farms. Not sure why the source now is. The Brothel press is really bad in covering stories. Even the editorial staff are hopeless. Aren't they even curious where it came from or some background on these infection. At least google if they have no idea.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

20 out of 79 kids are infected. Thats serious. In the past when there these were detected it was traced to families returning form OZ and countries where there were visited patting zoos and hobby farms. Not sure why the source now is. The Brothel press is really bad in covering stories. Even the editorial staff are hopeless. Aren't they even curious where it came from or some background on these infection. At least google if they have no idea.

Yes...about 20-25 years ago, the outbreak of HFMD in child cares could be traced to kids who went on holidays with their parents outside Singapore that included the petting of , cows, goats, water buffaloes & 'richer' parents to places where their kids, petted, koalas, sheep, penguins, primates, lamas etc..

But now? the figures are alarmingly high...even elderly are catching HFMD, like my good doctor is telling me....what have the children & the elderly being petting these days?...especially the elderly? (:-?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spore is no longer a healthy place. We have cases of dengue, zika, foot & mouth, Gastroenteritis (Food Poisoning), SARs, cancers, ...
We are not talking about isolated cases but epidemics.

The PAP has managed to bring many of the 3rd world problem into Spore, a supposedly 1st world country. We have not yet even reached the population target the PAP has set.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

No amt of engineering can prevent this

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I wonder if the Govt took into account the health issues to the country when they upped the population. Surely they must know that living in such close proximity is to increase he rate of infection by significant multiplier. Not just the increase in population per se but easy entry of people thru the borders.

Yes...about 20-25 years ago, the outbreak of HFMD in child cares could be traced to kids who went on holidays with their parents outside Singapore that included the petting of , cows, goats, water buffaloes & 'richer' parents to places where their kids, petted, koalas, sheep, penguins, primates, lamas etc..

But now? the figures are alarmingly high...even elderly are catching HFMD, like my good doctor is telling me....what have the children & the elderly being petting these days?...especially the elderly? (:-?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

I wonder if the Govt took into account the health issues to the country when they upped the population. Surely they must know that living in such close proximity is to increase he rate of infection by significant multiplier. Not just the increase in population per se but easy entry of people thru the borders.

I think the disease is being partly inherited by our immigration policy. It is further made worse when our kids are attending school like child care in close proximity with each other. I will not send my kids to over crowded child care anymore.

Parents must have the social responsibility to make sure to keep your child at home when your child is being hit by this strange disease.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Again another example of 3rd world standards at 1st world prices.

They can even brush aside the death of 8 people from SGH hepatitis-gate (with none of the culprits even being named) by saying they do not want a blame culture

The B Batok by election results simply embolden them that they can continue to get away with more of the same.

As long as they are not held accountable, things will only get worse-more disease outbreaks, longer clinic/hospitals waiting time, unaffordable medical cost, lower quality care form Pinoys /China and Indian FT''s doctors/nurses.ect2.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Obviously its from FTs you morons. If it was from singaporeans, the press would be howling and scolding sinkies for not being hygienic. when they deliberately don't investigate, it means that the source is FTs.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Again another example of 3rd world standards at 1st world prices.

They can even brush aside the death of 8 people from SGH hepatitis-gate (with none of the culprits even being named) by saying they do not want a blame culture

The B Batok by election results simply embolden them that they can continue to get away with more of the same.

As long as they are not held accountable, things will only get worse-more disease outbreaks, longer clinic/hospitals waiting time, unaffordable medical cost, lower quality care form Pinoys /China and Indian FT''s doctors/nurses.ect2.

The outbreak of Hep must have been traced to FT staff. You can bet your bottom dollar on that. If it was traced to Roy Ngerng, you better believe that they will be splashing it front page.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I think the disease is being partly inherited by our immigration policy. It is further made worse when our kids are attending school like child care in close proximity with each other. I will not send my kids to over crowded child care anymore.

Parents must have the social responsibility to make sure to keep your child at home when your child is being hit by this strange disease.

U have to look for a FT free day care. Nothing to do with being a crowded child care. Even if there were only 4 kids in the child care, and one had HFMD, your kid will get it too.

jw5

Loyal

My bad, we had less than 1.5 million then; now it's more than 5.1 million

The target is 6.9 million; knowing what the pappies are like, we'll probably end up with 9.6 million.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

in adversity always look at the brighter side. 2 great indicators cum out of this: 1, sinkie kids are no longer in a protected cocoon free from bacteria, germs, virus, and diseases afflicting other more "primitive", rural and agricultural cuntries, and thus help build necessary bodily immune systems that otherwise elude them; 2, both sinkies and imported "new sinkies" are traveling more to other cuntries and allowing their kids to experience pastoral life out there, and this proves that sinkies plus new ones (formerly ft's) are getting wealthier and enjoying travel and leisure, thanks to the pap and their policies. conclusion: pap is the best! :biggrin: