• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Heaven got eyes - Kopitiam in trouble !

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From: SinkieDOGS say Emeritus Foreign Thrashes (BabaEro11) <NOBR></NOBR>Feb-27 5:50 pm
To: ALL <NOBR></NOBR>(1 of 11)

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
Heaven got eyes - Kopitiam in trouble !
They think they can proactice what they do to all their foodstalls operators.
High rent, not enough customers + holding back the stalls' daily takings for dunno how many days.
Now, they got hit badly.
============
http://www.tnp.sg/content/high-rents-and-not-enough-customers
[h=1]High rents and not enough customers[/h]
February 27, 2012 - 11:54pm

[h=2]By:[/h]Benson Ang

bahawker.JPG

TNP PHOTO: BENJAMIN SEETOR
THERE was much fanfare when the food centre opened about two years ago, in December 2009.
After all, the standalone food centre and market was the first in Singapore to be built and run by a private operator.
But within a year, some stalls closed down.
Now, a third of the Kopitiam Square in Sengkang appear vacant.
Why? High rents and not enough customers, said stall owners and residents.
Read the full story in The New Paper on Tuesday (Feb 28).

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
No Office Buildings Around Seng Kang ?

All stall operator should boycott high rent.

Sengkang is not a place to dine ? I think one has to go all the way south to Hougang to have luncheon there.

Went to the new Sengkeng Wet Market/Hawker centre which was privatised to Kopitiam.

My tongue fell out when I saw the prices at the non air-con Hawker Centre. Satay Bee Hoon $4, Noodles $3.50 to $4.50, Mee Rebus $3.30 and the list goes on.

Finally, I have to settle for the cheapest $3.30 Mee Rebus. Small bowl with a few shreds of chicken.

Why is Sengkang wet market so expensive? What is the HDB doing?

Frankly, I still feel that Sengkang is one of the lousy estate to stay in Singapore. Just look around the estate, how many wet market and Food centre available?

Resident always have to travel long distance just to get their daily necessities and foods. If there is no much competition, certainly the price will not be cheap.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: No Office Buildings Around Seng Kang ?

Their tender was the highest, anyway, good for these 'running dogs', who in our local jargon, "three legs" the MIW's.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: No Office Buildings Around Seng Kang ?

But they still earning money somewhere else.....

Marican

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sam's Alfresco Coffeeshop can consider to takeover.A place for samsters to chill out in person(s).The kopitiam at the end of Sam leong road will be an ideal location.:biggrin:

bullfrog

Alfrescian
Loyal
When they first opened, I thought it was too big and ambitious. So many stalls. Although there was quite a variety, they also had too many of the same type of food. There was no aircon but they charge aircon food court rates. Also, it was quite detached from the Sengkang Mall/Compass Point, no convenient covered connection. I am not surprised it is failing.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Artificially inflated High Rent will kill SG. The tenants are the biggest loser in such situations.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Market will decide the price. If all want to rent at higher price and customer willing to pay higher food price then the rent will keep going up until level that not profitable to the stall operator then the price will come down eventually.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
besides charging exorbitant high rental, they also take a cut in everything the stall holder sell. what fuck do they have the right to do so?:rolleyes:

Market will decide the price. If all want to rent at higher price and customer willing to pay higher food price then the rent will keep going up until level that not profitable to the stall operator then the price will come down eventually.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing great eating at Kopitiam.. The food sucks and quite expensive.. I still prefers eating at hawker centres and old school coffeshops that still retained their original decor of the 60s and 70s.. Feels nostalgic eating in these kind old coffeshops

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing great eating at Kopitiam.. The food sucks and quite expensive.. I still prefers eating at hawker centres and old school coffeshops that still retained their original decor of the 60s and 70s.. Feels nostalgic eating in these kind old coffeshops
Right. A Kopitiam don't look like kopitiam. Worst is price more expensive than traditional kopitiam. Cannot even have a cigarette to go with kopi-o in these airconed foodcourt.
Sadly, good old tradtional kopi-tiam is getting rarer. Even the old kopi tiam in mature estate also upgrade to semi food court style kopitiam with price increase. I still remember pouring the hot kopi-o on a small plate to cool the kopi-o before drinking it from the small plate.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right. A Kopitiam don't look like kopitiam. Worst is price more expensive than traditional kopitiam. Cannot even have a cigarette to go with kopi-o in these airconed foodcourt.
Sadly, good old tradtional kopi-tiam is getting rarer. Even the old kopi tiam in mature estate also upgrade to semi food court style kopitiam with price increase. I still remember pouring the hot kopi-o on a small plate to cool the kopi-o before drinking it from the small plate.

Kopitiam deserved what's coming, location wise ok, no aircon so most patron rather eat at
Compasspoint Shopping centre, I ate once and that was the last, price exhorbitant, can't even beat Newton
and yet more expensive!

I think gahmen should have hawker centres instead, bear in mind only alocate to retirees or jobless ppl to operate
and not by tender, otherwise its back to square one. Sengkang lack hawkers centre, all food court, food expensive and
lousy taste,

One example Rivervale Mall food court, look at Duck rice bloody owner employed PRC, you order duck, she slice
one piece flattened it with her choppper and cut paper thin into 5-6 pcs, that's Yu Kee duck rice, they are real slaughter!
I refused to eat duck rice at this place!! Yet ppl are Q-ing given no choice! Loved bu chopped!

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Agree.. I hate all these air con kopitiams.. When I eat outside, I make sure there's a table for smokers.. I miss the days when you can light up your ciggie in all parts of the coffeshop without the fear of being fined.. The Jalan Besar staduim Broadway food court is my all time favourite place to drink beer.. Even though the food is so and so, but the smoking area is damn large and you can have all the freedom to smoke.. Coffeshop staff there also'll close one eye if you smoke in a the non smokers area..

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
nothing to do with heavens.

just simple demand,supply and pricing equation. They jack up rental price so high till stall holder dare not take it. A miscalculation on kopitiam part.

maja06

Alfrescian
Loyal
nothing to do with heavens.

just simple demand,supply and pricing equation. They jack up rental price so high till stall holder dare not take it. A miscalculation on kopitiam part.

Not just miscalculation on company's part. This sad episode shows some of the unintended (?) consequences of the govt auction system, and by extension, an over-reliance on market mechanisms in a market that is not competitive at all since HDB is the monopolistic landlord here...

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Not only in HDB.

Just pass by Kopitiam near Sim Lim Square, more then half the stores are empty. At least the sign are good, stall holders are not biting into their contract concept.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
nowadays the shopping centers and food courts owners are so avarice.
when the business is good , they just increase the rental sky high.
they don't give a thought of the hard work and long hours the stall owner has to endure.
GREEDY has no limit.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
One example Rivervale Mall food court, look at Duck rice bloody owner employed PRC, you order duck, she slice
one piece flattened it with her choppper and cut paper thin into 5-6 pcs, that's Yu Kee duck rice, they are real slaughter!
I refused to eat duck rice at this place!! Yet ppl are Q-ing given no choice! Loved bu chopped!

you just confirmed that sillyporeans are gullible .