• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Hainanese Sinkie Chiobu Grew up in Showbiz

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Foo Fang Rong grew up in showbiz but doesn't feel she missed out on childhood​

In an exclusive interview, the Singapore actress also credited the media industry here for giving her a safe and supportive environment as a child in showbiz.​

Growing up in showbiz gave Foo Fang Rong a different kind of childhood. (Photo: Instagram/fangrong)

Growing up in showbiz gave Foo Fang Rong a different kind of childhood. (Photo: Instagram/fangrong)
Where most of her peers spent their childhood at the playground or basketball courts, local actress Foo Fang Rong grew up surrounded by lights, camera, action, and of course, some of Mediacorp’s biggest stars.
The 27-year-old started her showbiz career at the tender age of four, when her cousin was looking for a little girl to cast in a commercial.
“That’s how I started,” Foo told Yahoo Southeast Asia in an exclusive interview on Monday (18 Sept).

“I actually started with advertisements and a bit of modelling. Then after that, I had a chance to audition for, I think [it] was a Channel 5 telemovie called Coming Home. It was a Yellow Ribbon project. So I acted as Melody Chen's daughter, and that was my first acting gig. Yeah, so one thing led to another, went for auditions, and yeah, somehow I'm here today.”
One might argue that showbiz isn’t the right environment for a child to grow up in, and that they deserve to experience a normal childhood.
Foo thinks about this “from time to time”, but said she honestly doesn’t feel like she “lost a childhood”, despite being in the industry “pretty much all my life”.
I think maybe it's like the Singaporean media industry kind of thing, because I would assume in Hollywood or China maybe, or Korea even, it might be a lot more competitive and cutthroat, but I didn't feel that way as a child actress in Singapore.Foo Fang Rong
“It felt like more of a hobby for me, like going on set to play and maybe too much playing sometimes,” she shared with a laugh.
In fact, when she looks back on those years of being a child actress, she remembers playing on the sets “with kor kor (Chinese dialect for older brother) and jie jie (Mandarin for older sister)”.
Foo added, “It feels like a different kind of childhood, but it doesn't feel I didn't have a childhood. So I'm actually very grateful for this interesting experience… I guess, only the other childhood actors and actresses that I'm friends with can relate to [it], but like most of my friends, it's a very different experience for them and for me.”
On that note, Foo also feels okay with entering showbiz at the age that she did, as it gave her the skills and knowledge she needs now as a full-time actress.
“It all happens quite intuitively for me now, I think it could only happen because of the many years of like making mistakes when I was younger,” she said sheepishly. “It's nice that now I don't have to think about all the technical stuff when I act.”
She also credited the media industry for giving her a safe and supportive environment as a kid, so being in the limelight as a young person wasn’t an issue for her.
Foo said, “I think the Singapore media industry feels very safe to me, at least. The veterans, be it in front of the camera or behind the camera, all have been very supportive, and it never felt like I was thrown into like the ocean to swim and survive on my own. Being in this industry as a kid didn't feel unsafe.”
Foo plays a younger version of Joanne Peh in Sisters of the Night (the Last Madame prequel), now available on meWATCH. She’s also currently filming the long-form Channel 8 drama My One and Only, airing weekdays at 7.30pm.