• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Great Books

jw5

Loyal
One of the greatest books I ever read was "To Kill A Mocking Bird" by Harper Lee.
But can someone explain the significance of the title in relation to the themes of the story?
What other great books (fiction or novels) have you read and what was it about?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the greatest books I ever read was "To Kill A Mocking Bird" by Harper Lee.
But can someone explain the significance of the title in relation to the themes of the story?

I still think "ANIMAL FARM" is a great literature, and still valid as reference by our polictical leader. I guess LKY memoire did pick some leaves out of this great book, otherwise Singaporean can never be anywhere similar to the story.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Best book I ever read - The long walk by Richard Bachman (Stephen King)

Bachman is a better writer of human nature and emotions compared to Stephan King who is a bit too weird with those horror stories. Bachman really understand peoples, our hopes and fears and he is always ahead of his time.

Jeffrey Archer also very good, his books easy to read and very drama like TVB series.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
the most popular book in the world...

biblealone.jpg

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try Wolf Totem. I never realise wolves are such fascinating creatures until readng it. Also, I begin to understand why wolves are used as a symbol by the Mongolians in the past ...

To kill a mockingbird - yes, agreed this is a great book. It has a nice touch of humour in it.

Jin Yong novels undoubtedly rate highly in my book list.

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
i've noticed sinkies are very much fiction readers. not that i'm against it, but just curious - what's the fascination behind reading something that isn't real? of course by fiction i mean more of novels and less of books like animal farm which have a satirical purpose behind its composition.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i've noticed sinkies are very much fiction readers. not that i'm against it, but just curious - what's the fascination behind reading something that isn't real? of course by fiction i mean more of novels and less of books like animal farm which have a satirical purpose behind its composition.

The real world is too harsh for them, they cannot face it. They love fantasy.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kama Sutra (Sanskrit: कामसूत्र), (alternative spellings: Kamasutraṃ or simply Kamasutra)

you should read at least once your life time. better education than what given at schools on the same subject.

jw5

Loyal
And non Singkies don't read as much fiction?

jw5

Loyal
Best book I ever read - The long walk by Richard Bachman (Stephen King)

Bachman is a better writer of human nature and emotions compared to Stephan King who is a bit too weird with those horror stories. Bachman really understand peoples, our hopes and fears and he is always ahead of his time.

Jeffrey Archer also very good, his books easy to read and very drama like TVB series.
Don't like Archer, used to.
His writing is nowadays very "obvious".

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks but nobody has answered my question on the significance of the book's title.
I really want to know.

Songbirds and their associated symbolism appear throughout the novel. For example, the family's last name is Finch.[75] The titular mockingbird is a key motif of this theme, which first appears when Atticus, having given his children air-rifles for Christmas, allows their Uncle Jack to teach them to shoot. Atticus warns them that, although they can "shoot all the bluejays they want", they must remember that "it's a sin to kill a mockingbird".[76] Confused, Scout approaches her neighbor Miss Maudie, who explains that mockingbirds never harm other living creatures. She points out that mockingbirds simply provide pleasure with their songs, saying, "They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us."[76] Writer Edwin Bruell summarized the symbolism when he wrote in 1964, "'To kill a mockingbird' is to kill that which is innocent and harmless—like Tom Robinson."[48] Scholars have noted that Lee often returns to the mockingbird theme when trying to make a moral point.[77][24][78]

Tom Robinson is the chief example among several innocents destroyed carelessly or deliberately throughout the novel. However, scholar Christopher Metress connects the mockingbird to Boo Radley: "Instead of wanting to exploit Boo for her own fun (as she does in the beginning of the novel by putting on gothic plays about his history), Scout comes to see him as a 'mockingbird' – that is, as someone with an inner goodness that must be cherished."[79] The last pages of the book illustrate this as Scout relates the moral of a story Atticus has been reading to her, and in allusions to both Boo Radley and Tom Robinson[22] states about a character who was misunderstood, "when they finally saw him, why he hadn't done any of those things ... Atticus, he was real nice," to which he responds, "Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them."[80]

The novel exposes the loss of innocence (and innocents) so frequently that reviewer R. A. Dave claims it is inevitable that all the characters have faced or will face defeat, giving it elements of a classical tragedy.[24] In exploring how each character deals with his or her own personal defeat, Lee builds a framework to judge whether the characters are heroes or fools. She guides the reader in such judgments, alternating between unabashed adoration and biting irony. For example, irony is employed by Lee as Scout witnesses the Missionary Society meeting, whose members mock Scout, gossip, and "reflect a smug, colonialist attitude toward other races" while giving the "appearance of gentility, piety, and morality".[65] Conversely, when Atticus loses Tom's case, he is last to leave the courtroom, except for his children and the black spectators in the colored balcony, who rise silently as he walks underneath them, to honor his efforts.[81]

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Still have this book on my bookshelf. In fact my Lit "O" level had tested on it. The book very profound. Had read it at least 6-7 times but still dont fully understand what the author trying to say. Maybe dont know what was USA culture like at that time. And also neber pay attention to what my Lit teacher teach during sec 4. She quite an attractive teacher but heard she took the call from GOD and became a nun.

My fav author is W.E.B Griffin. A bit like Tom Clancy but his story based mostly on the past, very low tech, no need to understand many technical aspect compare to Tom Clancy.