• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GRC Dream Team

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pls give your opinion on the dream opp team to contest a GRC..Interesting topic...Pls do not list candidates that are not possible to contest.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pls give your opinion on the dream opp team to contest a GRC..Interesting topic...Pls do not list candidates that are not possible to contest.

This is a topic that no one would ever agree on. Some would say a bunch of big names. Some say all Doctors and Lawyers. Some feel all degrees are enough.

However some would say it has to be the most representative of the population which means you need one Malay and one Indian even if the GRC doesn't require one, plus one woman and one O Level holder, preferably all mutually exclusive.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is definitely no need for agreement...in fact everyone got their own opinion for various issues so why would there be a need for an agreement on this in the first place? just an interesting topic to throw in some names..some would share the same opinion and others might find that some names that sprung up are worthy contender which they havent thought off......justifications could be included for those that have strong opinions...all good....

I would think strong contenders now would be Kenneth Jeyaretnam, Tan Kin Lian...I would also throw in Sylvia Lim and Chiam See Tong...at this point a concrete fifth name have not come to my mind..but KJ already fufils the minority requirement i guess?? and there is a female representation in the line-up..my choice for chiam is perhaps we need a proven opp in the line-up to boost the credibility and I think its time for Chiam to take a gamble now since he already seem to be taking a backseat due to various personal health reasons etc...so why not lend his hand in a GRC where he would not have to take the battle head-on by himself but lend his experience and public support for the team? If this meant PP is conceded, at least opp have a chance to gain a GRC with a strong team. LTK would be better holding on to the opp seat in Hougang and he is younger and can battle on longer...I am sure there be detractors on having Chiam in the team and also question his credibility etc, as I see someone have been repeatedly making post abt it but I didnt read the contents though. But it cannot be denied that this season campaigner had won the elections on so many occasions before...and his experience is certainly useful and there are definitely ground support for him especially from the older generation.....my only concern is his health problems... anyone with a fifth name??? I would love it to be Dr Chee, makes the battle more interesting but his bankrupt status made him ineligible...would his sister be eligible (is she bankrupt??) and be a worthy contender??? I believe people have differing views as well...or could there be anyone else from SDP??? Other credible names I can think of which people would definitely have differing views as well.....these names are like WP's Dr Poh Lee Guan and maybe Lawyer Chia Tik Lik....My choice based on their profession and Academic background which I guess is reasonably important for surface judgement for credibility.....just my two cents worth..any other takers?

This is a topic that no one would ever agree on. Some would say a bunch of big names. Some say all Doctors and Lawyers. Some feel all degrees are enough.

However some would say it has to be the most representative of the population which means you need one Malay and one Indian even if the GRC doesn't require one, plus one woman and one O Level holder, preferably all mutually exclusive.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is definitely no need for agreement...in fact everyone got their own opinion for various issues so why would there be a need for an agreement on this in the first place? just an interesting topic to throw in some names..some would share the same opinion and others might find that some names that sprung up are worthy contender which they havent thought off......justifications could be included for those that have strong opinions...all good....

I would think strong contenders now would be Kenneth Jeyaretnam, Tan Kin Lian...I would also throw in Sylvia Lim and Chiam See Tong...at this point a concrete fifth name have not come to my mind..but KJ already fufils the minority requirement i guess?? and there is a female representation in the line-up..my choice for chiam is perhaps we need a proven opp in the line-up to boost the credibility and I think its time for Chiam to take a gamble now since he already seem to be taking a backseat due to various personal health reasons etc...so why not lend his hand in a GRC where he would not have to take the battle head-on by himself but lend his experience and public support for the team? If this meant PP is conceded, at least opp have a chance to gain a GRC with a strong team. LTK would be better holding on to the opp seat in Hougang and he is younger and can battle on longer...I am sure there be detractors on having Chiam in the team and also question his credibility etc, as I see someone have been repeatedly making post abt it but I didnt read the contents though. But it cannot be denied that this season campaigner had won the elections on so many occasions before...and his experience is certainly useful and there are definitely ground support for him especially from the older generation.....my only concern is his health problems... anyone with a fifth name??? I would love it to be Dr Chee, makes the battle more interesting but his bankrupt status made him ineligible...would his sister be eligible (is she bankrupt??) and be a worthy contender??? I believe people have differing views as well...or could there be anyone else from SDP??? Other credible names I can think of which people would definitely have differing views as well.....these names are like WP's Dr Poh Lee Guan and maybe Lawyer Chia Tik Lik....My choice based on their profession and Academic background which I guess is reasonably important for surface judgement for credibility.....just my two cents worth..any other takers?

Agree with you. But there is no PAP dream team. The key for opposition to breakthrough may or may not be a "dream team". Lee Siew Choh and Francis Seow was a dream team. JBJ, TLH plus a doctor and a columbo plan scholar was also a dream team. That's my view.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok thats great. Do you have other candidates in mind that are eligible and more likely to be a contestant in a GRC team for the comin GE?

Agree with you. But there is no PAP dream team. The key for opposition to breakthrough may or may not be a "dream team". Lee Siew Choh and Francis Seow was a dream team. JBJ, TLH plus a doctor and a columbo plan scholar was also a dream team. That's my view.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok thats great. Do you have other candidates in mind that are eligible and more likely to be a contestant in a GRC team for the comin GE?

Not really. You can see I am not too interested in the listing games, though I can fully understand why the opposition or their supporters believe this gives them an edge. In a way, it may earn them extra percentage and if the sentiments are correct, a victory.

I was referring to past examples, and the 2 dream teams never won - not even against bland PAP slates.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) KJ, Ken Kwek, Alfian Saat and Sylvia.

2) GMS, Steve Chia, Tilik and James Gomez

Bro if you are quoting names that have not joined I can think of people even better - Philip J, Ho Kwon Ping, Kevin Tan, Cherian George, Hussin Mutalib

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The people that I mentioned have either contested previously or have put up their hand to contest.

4 out 5 that you named will not particpate in elections and one is an establishment figure whose fencing sitting is notoriously well know via his series of articles. 2 are political commentators and one must differentiate between political commentators and potential political candidates. Reminds me of housewives who think that Political Science Grads plan to run for office. Its akin to asking a fireman if he enjoys watching things burn.

In Singapore politics, you must first know their alignment or bent. This is not about well known personalities but those who are prepared or have made known their intention to contest now or later.

Bro if you are quoting names that have not joined I can think of people even better - Philip J, Ho Kwon Ping, Kevin Tan, Cherian George, Hussin Mutalib

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroobal,

Are you trying to get me flamed or what? LOL!

Frankly speaking, being in the "dream team" may or may not be a good thing.

Just like good old army tactic, dream team is a big target board for the enemy basically because it has big machine guns, rockets and bombers. Whether such tactical target able to survive the enemy bombardment is one big question mark.

But such dream team provides cover for other smaller troopers in their advancement.

In Singapore's electoral history, "dream teams" have not won any seats but most of the time, became a magnet in attracting all the firing bullets from PAP. In one instance, it has succeeded in providing enough cover to create a few small surprising win. 1991 election is one of such case. The Eunos team was under heavy fire but the result turn out that the team did not win while the other 3 SMCs (apart from Potong Pasir) scrapped through the 50% barrier.

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
The people that I mentioned have either contested previously or have put up their hand to contest.

4 out 5 that you named will not particpate in elections and one is an establishment figure whose fencing sitting is notoriously well know via his series of articles. 2 are political commentators and one must differentiate between political commentators and potential political candidates. Reminds me of housewives who think that Political Science Grads plan to run for office. Its akin to asking a fireman if he enjoys watching things burn.

In Singapore politics, you must first know their alignment or bent. This is not about well known personalities but those who are prepared or have made known their intention to contest now or later.

Well said, bro. However i didn't know that Ken Kwek and Alfian had "put up their hand to contest". Interesting times for politics if they do.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
the opinions are open to all...not just restricted to supporters of either the ruling party of the opp and for whatever agenda. And I do not believe that name listing in general gives anyone any advantage at all.

Not really. You can see I am not too interested in the listing games, though I can fully understand why the opposition or their supporters believe this gives them an edge. In a way, it may earn them extra percentage and if the sentiments are correct, a victory.

I was referring to past examples, and the 2 dream teams never won - not even against bland PAP slates.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
some interesting names and James Gomez came to my mind too as an minority candidate but then perhaps the fiasco in the last GE has an effect on his standing...and KJ is the obvious minority candidate standout for sure...and steve chia seems not too bad again but his maid scandal didnt do him any good though...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Though dreams teams are natural targets, its the voters that decide. I think Siew Choh and Wee han Kim were carrying baggage at that time and Seet Ai mei shot herself. SDP at that time had no baggage, attempts to discredit Chiam on his academic qualifications previously also backfired. SDP became the dream team then and was squeaky clean while WP candidates were had a history.

I think the voters got over Steve, Gomez might be an issue or a drawcard (hard to say and we probably need to engage one of the big four accounting forms to help him file his papers) and tilik was not cadre member nor a PAP member but a YPAP member so unlikely they will go after him. I left out Tan Kin Lin intentionally as he was an early cadre member like Tang and drank in the PAP fountain for nearly 30 years until his retirement so they will go all out for him. He would be huge burden for any opposition initiative.

Dear Scroobal,

Are you trying to get me flamed or what? LOL!

Frankly speaking, being in the "dream team" may or may not be a good thing.

Just like good old army tactic, dream team is a big target board for the enemy basically because it has big machine guns, rockets and bombers. Whether such tactical target able to survive the enemy bombardment is one big question mark.

But such dream team provides cover for other smaller troopers in their advancement.

In Singapore's electoral history, "dream teams" have not won any seats but most of the time, became a magnet in attracting all the firing bullets from PAP. In one instance, it has succeeded in providing enough cover to create a few small surprising win. 1991 election is one of such case. The Eunos team was under heavy fire but the result turn out that the team did not win while the other 3 SMCs (apart from Potong Pasir) scrapped through the 50% barrier.

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Though dreams teams are natural targets, its the voters that decide. I think Siew Choh and Wee han Kim were carrying baggage at that time and Seet Ai mei shot herself. SDP at that time had no baggage, attempts to discredit Chiam on his academic qualifications previously also backfired. SDP became the dream team then and was squeaky clean while WP candidates were had a history.

I think the voters got over Steve, Gomez might be an issue or a drawcard (hard to say and we probably need to engage one of the big four accounting forms to help him file his papers) and tilik was not cadre member nor a PAP member but a YPAP member so unlikely they will go after him. I left out Tan Kin Lin intentionally as he was an early cadre member like Tang and drank in the PAP fountain for nearly 30 years until his retirement so they will go all out for him. He would be huge burden for any opposition initiative.

Reading what you said makes me feel that there is no way the opposition is going to look "squeaky clean" and perhaps there best chance is to tar the PAP candidates back in return. Not in the defamatory sense, but compile all their gaffes and hit them with that at the next election.

For example, Tharman's "public interest but sorry" comment and Lim Swee Say's cartoonish "U fighters".

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your 1st team could just happen as all are on very friendly terms with each other and their working style compliments each other well on top of their different representation.

Your 2nd team however would be very very unlikely to happen. Too much personal dislike and ego among all four of them.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first is hope and the second is a wish.
Your 1st team could just happen as all are on very friendly terms with each other and their working style compliments each other well on top of their different representation.

Your 2nd team however would be very very unlikely to happen. Too much personal dislike and ego among all four of them.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first is ho pe and the second is a wish.

I have been hoping that for the coming GE, a GRC First Team could be formed consisting of one member from each of the opposition parties. Most likely the WP may not want to be involved in one. Leaving them out, what do we have?

KJ from RP, Dr E-jay, Ti Lik or Jufrie from SDP, Chaim or Steve Chia from SDA, Abdul Salim or GMS from NSP?

For good measure, a TKL or James Gomes thrown in as independent candidates? Very intriguing.

When a GRC is won this way, then form more such "independent" opposition GRC teams representing the will of the ppl!

jw5

Loyal
Steve Chia cannot do. He is a great admirer of LKY; if he can get himself out of this perception then he will be a frontrunner.
You can admire him, but you need not agree wth everything that he and his party do.