• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Good news for Sinkies! Ah Loong will Adjust FT Policies!

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore to tweak foreign worker policies amid local job concerns​

ReutersSun, 8 August 2021, 8:38 PM
165289f4c9dbee61aad39e09a3b8be16

FILE PHOTO: Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - The Singapore government will adjust foreign worker policies to address concerns among locals over competition for jobs, even as the global business hub remains open to talent from overseas, its prime minister said on Sunday.

"We have to adjust our policies to manage the quality, numbers and concentrations of foreigners in Singapore," Lee Hsien Loong said in his National Day Message. "If we do this well, we can continue to welcome foreign workers and new immigrants, as we must.

Foreign labour has long been a hot button issue in Singapore, but uncertainties due to the COVID-19 pandemic have increased employment worries among locals as the city-state recovers from last year's record recession.

The issue was also highlighted by opposition parties during last year's general election campaign as they mounted a historic challenge to Lee's People's Action Party, which has ruled Singapore since its independence in 1965.

Just under 30% of Singapore's 5.7 million population are non-residents, up from around 10% in 1990, according to government statistics.

Lee warned that turning inwards would damage Singapore's standing as a global and regional hub. "It would cost us jobs and opportunities."

His government has been tightening foreign worker policies for several years while taking steps to promote local hiring, including by raising the salary threshold for issuing work permits.

The number of people living in Singapore declined 0.3% last year, the first drop since 2003, as travel curbs and job losses brought about by the pandemic pushed foreign workers from the country.

(Reporting by Aradhana Aravindan in Singapore; Editing by Kirsten Donovan)

rioville

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's see the new measures coming in the next few weeks. G has implicitly admitted that they screwed up. That is a triumph in itself.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"We have to adjust our policies to manage the quality, numbers and concentrations of foreigners"
Please note that adjust can also means adjust upwards to bring in more foreigners.
Did anyone hear him say adjust downwards or reduce ?
Remember meritocracy means election based on race, white horse' is to ensure sons of influential persons were NOT given preferential treatment, increase in GST is to help the poor and foreigners create jobs for locals

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"We have to adjust our policies to manage the quality, numbers and concentrations of foreigners"
Please note that adjust can also means adjust upwards to bring in more foreigners.
Did anyone hear him say adjust downwards or reduce ?
Remember meritocracy means election based on race, white horse' is to ensure sons of influential persons were NOT given preferential treatment, increase in GST is to help the poor and foreigners create jobs for locals

Similar to public transport fare revisions. Only go one direction, take a guess which one. :wink:

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will believe the PM when I see it happening
Otherwise, it remains a pack of PR talk to me.
Very sad I cannot believe my own national leaders any longer

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I will believe the PM when I see it happening
Otherwise, it remains a pack of PR talk to me.
Very sad I cannot believe my own national leaders any longer

It has happened for years. TAFEP and MOM has intervened very aggressively against foreign bosses who practice discriminatory hiring. MOM and ICA has also been revoking work passes of foreigners who submit fake CVs or flout our covid safe distancing measures.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
I say it again.

Fool me once, shame one you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Do you want to be cheated by PAP again and again and again?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I say it again.

Fool me once, shame one you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Do you want to be cheated by PAP again and again and again?

If you are staying in Singapore, you are likely to be far richer than the average ASEAN citizen. If you are a moslem, you're more likely to not grow up poor, uneducated and brainwashed by jihadists if you live in Singapore compared to any other ASEAN or South Asian country. PAP has saved you from a life of hell, misery, poverty and religious extremism. Kindly stop being so stupid.

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM forgets he will be judged by history, including all the comments made in this forum. One day, historians will dig everything up and rate his performance and popularity as a national leader. I fear he will be rated in the class of Lim yew Hock - a leader who favoured foreigners over his own people. This Lim Yew Hock sold out Singapore wholesale by not fighting for our rights over Christmas Island in the 1950s. He then became a Malaysian after Separation. Later, he ran away with an Aussie stripper when he was the Malaysian High Commissioner in Australia.

I hope PM's reputation will not end up like this useless Chief Minister Lim Yew Hock's

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PM forgets he will be judged by history, including all the comments made in this forum. One day, historians will dig everything up and rate his performance and popularity as a national leader. I fear he will be rated in the class of Lim yew Hock - a leader who favoured foreigners over his own people. This Lim Yew Hock sold out Singapore wholesale by not fighting for our rights over Christmas Island in the 1950s. He then became a Malaysian after Separation. Later, he ran away with an Aussie stripper when he was the Malaysian High Commissioner in Australia.

I hope PM's reputation will not end up like this useless Chief Minister Lim Yew Hock's

There is still a sizeable bunch of dimwits out there who still think he's a good leader simply because of who his father was. :cool:

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are staying in Singapore, you are likely to be far richer than the average ASEAN citizen. If you are a moslem, you're more likely to not grow up poor, uneducated and brainwashed by jihadists if you live in Singapore compared to any other ASEAN or South Asian country. PAP has saved you from a life of hell, misery, poverty and religious extremism. Kindly stop being so stupid.
life of hell, misery, poverty ????

Oh, now I understand. PAP favourite pests, the CECAkroaches are for so long doing those to sinkiporeans.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
As long as NSF is not abolished Singapore males are losers in competition for IT jobs against fake degree ahnehs.

Wasting 2 years in NSF is falling behind in work experiences in IT jobs. All jobs are Web based IT and Singapore males cannot afford break for NSF which they will lose to cheater fake degree ahnehs for super IT jobs....

PAP still don't admit NSF is outdated programs and modern warfare are fought with web based IT too...

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cheater PAP will still be losing big and keep taking rubbish bin cheater ahnehs from India.

5 eyes have same program stealing Global Talents... 5 eye has better quality life style to attract Global Talents....

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

His siblings already disowned him and call him a dishonourable SOB.... and he still don't get it....

He never get it for all his life under his father rule...

He never get it that he has to fight for his right to prove he can lead by take himself out of GRC and fight alone in Single Ward GE... like Woody...

He even guarded himself tighter increase his GRC size bigger become a unbreakable fortress... shameful...