• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good Morning...Yesteryear.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
:biggrin:I miss the kampong days when i woke in the morning listening to the
rediffusion playing these lovely chinese songs..
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SW9RxRvAHGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

31052011202.jpg

31052011203.jpg

31052011205.jpg

During chinese new year and hari raya,night and day the sound of music and firecracker can be felt in kampong and town
The weeks of merrymaking lasted for weeks.:biggrin:
30052011160.jpg

Katong beach now known as east coast park was once where smugglers smuggle their goods.
30052011143.jpg

30052011142.jpg

30052011136.jpg

30052011143.jpg

Hawkers fry their food using charcoal..so delicious.:biggrin:
30052011123.jpg

30052011102.jpg

30052011101.jpg

Houses was so cheap then.:biggrin:
30052011135.jpg

30052011153.jpg

30052011157.jpg

No traffic jam..chickens,ducks and children can play on the road and roam freely.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
30052011158.jpg

no heavy bags during school for these students from raffles girls,convent girls and raffles inst.:biggrin:
30052011114.jpg

bloody chow ah beng the scourge of society still exist in those days
these scumbags are nothing but trouble makers only know how to bully the weak
and act tough when in a group but are cowards when alone in a man to man fight.:biggrin::oIo:
31052011.jpg

And guys remember the sad day when we up the 3tonner on our long and weary 2yrs journey.:biggrin:.....nowadays the 3G soldiers up in comfortable aircon coaches
some even with mum and dad tow along.:biggrin:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
EEEEEE looks so run down and dirty.

Although there was less ppl and life was less stressful.

So did they have iphone or ipad? What did the children do during that time? Must have been dull.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Those dirty stall...offered de best food i ever eaten in my life...nowadays...foodcourt's food nice to look at no goot to eat...:(:biggrin::biggrin:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
EEEEEE looks so run down and dirty.

Although there was less ppl and life was less stressful.

So did they have iphone or ipad? What did the children do during that time? Must have been dull.

Run down and dirty - then, that was the norm. I don't remember getting food poisoning or E.Coli. I was so skinny, I qualified for free milk at primary school and shit, was that dirty or was that dirty. There were flies drowining in the pails of milk!

Life for a child then was, well, blissful! Our parents probably worried that money wasn't enough. But somehow, we'd pull through. Going to Swee Kee for chicken rice was a big treat! Must dress up well to go eat at road side stall!

We caught and fought spiders, watari picture cards, marbles, fight kites (limpei preferred chasing the lost ones), made catapults (lastic) to shoot birds and mudskippers, and peeped at our friend's sisters when they took a pee. Anything but dull. Not with firecrackers legal.

Ah Kong was the one who listened to Rediffusion. It was all he needed.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those dirty stall...offered de best food i ever eaten in my life...nowadays...foodcourt's food nice to look at no goot to eat...:(:biggrin::biggrin:

My youngest aunt stayed with us, and her boyfriend would ta pau two packets of Hokkien fried mee from the push-cart stall at Joo Chiat whenever he came over - fucking BEST fried noodles in the world! Her deserved her!

Cheers!

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My youngest aunt stayed with us, and her boyfriend would ta pau two packets of Hokkien fried mee from the push-cart stall at Joo Chiat whenever he came over - fucking BEST fried noodles in the world! Her deserved her!

Cheers!

Best MeeSiam (w/o hum of course)...i ever eat was sold by a BaBa gentlemen...wearing grey shorts...white singlet...and a pointed hat...carrying 1 pot of sauce n 1 basket of bee hoon and ingredients balance on a bamboo pole...sound kinda strange but hey...tat was b4 1969...at Joo Jiat Place...ah...yes and de tock tock mee too...slup! slup!...:biggrin::biggrin:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G5NZI8NmBLA" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

all of you can sing along and cry. :biggrin:

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Run down and dirty - then, that was the norm. I don't remember getting food poisoning or E.Coli. I was so skinny, I qualified for free milk at primary school and shit, was that dirty or was that dirty. There were flies drowining in the pails of milk!

Life for a child then was, well, blissful! Our parents probably worried that money wasn't enough. But somehow, we'd pull through. Going to Swee Kee for chicken rice was a big treat! Must dress up well to go eat at road side stall!

We caught and fought spiders, watari picture cards, marbles, fight kites (limpei preferred chasing the lost ones), made catapults (lastic) to shoot birds and mudskippers, and peeped at our friend's sisters when they took a pee. Anything but dull. Not with firecrackers legal.

Cheers!

Aiyoh, that one, peep at friend's sister peeing, you not shy!. Your mother catches you, have to wash your eyes with Lam Soon Soap, the brown coloure ones that comes in a rectangular clock. The wood from the guava tree makes excellent catapult, you have today...mata will tankap you!!

I have stacks of pictures cards, man from U.N.C.L.E, Batman, was popular, redifussion one is always on 24/365 in anywhere one live, either emiting Cantonese, Hokkien, Teochews, Hainanese etc operas, DIalects songs, Mandarin Songs, Story telling, Ong Toh right, Lei Dai Sau..then the before midnight ghost story...after which the kids will hid under the bed ( that was our Monsters Inc! feeling).. ha ha ha You can afford Swee Kee...are are quite well off already!! heh heh . It was the norm of the days for kids to carry bamboo sticks with a fork at the end & chase after kites that float down from the sky after it had lost the kite fight. They will will climb over anything, even dash across, among traffic, just to land the kite. More often enough, they will fight among themselves when two ot three bamboo sticks clash for one single kite, eventually the kite gets torn. Nowadays kite flying is a tame sport... ha ha ha

good morning yeasterday, i wake up & time had past away.....:p

Last edited:

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)

Cheers!
spider catching and fighting was my favourite hobby..
the best pegdigree fighting spiders you can find at the bushes is at kent ridge park NUS,NTU at jalan bahar and CMPB dempsey road football field..
the spiders are big and black face claws..we would make them horny with the females first to strenghthen their power before a fight.. food will be the head of a housefly which with tear out and eating whatever kuih come along didnt washing my hands. my hand after tat

Aiyoh, that one, peep at friend's sister peeing, you not shy!. Your mother catches you, have to wash your eyes with Lam Soon Soap, the brown coloure ones that comes in a rectangular clock. The wood from the guava tree makes excellent catapult, you have today...mata will tankap you!!

I have stacks of pictures cards, man from U.N.C.L.E, Batman, was popular, redifussion one is always on 24/365 in anywhere one live, either emiting Cantonese, Hokkien, Teochews, Hainanese etc operas, DIalects songs, Mandarin Songs, Story telling, Ong Toh right, Lei Dai Sau..then the before midnight ghost story...after which the kids will hid under the bed ( that was our Monsters Inc! feeling).. ha ha ha You can afford Swee Kee...are are quite well off already!! heh heh . It was the norm of the days for kids to carry bamboo sticks with a fork at the end & chase after kites that float down from the sky after it had lost the kite fight. They will will climb over anything, even dash across, among traffic, just to land the kite. More often enough, they will fight among themselves when two ot three bamboo sticks clash for one single kite, eventually the kite gets torn. Nowadays kite flying is a tame sport... ha ha ha

I was saw my elder sis peeing at the back of my kampong while looking for my dog gobi.:biggrin:

swee kee and any fry hor fun was beyond my pocket.
30052011140.jpg

my uncle house in joo chiat.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
1st pic children playing firecrackers,2nd pic cny reunion dinner,3rd pic malaysians working in spore balik kampong at queen st bus station,colour pic is the spore/johore causeway and a kampong in bendeemer road.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
01062011058.jpg

01062011053.jpg

cows and cattles roaming into our kampong are familar sight.:biggrin:

01062011015.jpg

to advertise in the straits time was so cheap.:biggrin:
now it coast me $720 to advertise my dad orbituary.:mad:

01062011047.jpg

mamak drink stall was near every school in spore.:biggrin:

01062011048.jpg

for these poor labourers who cant afford rediffusion,they have to go chinatown to listen story telling at its best till they fall asleep.:biggrin:

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
01062011045.jpg

PAP was in crisis.:biggrin:

30052011127.jpg

agony aunt was there too to solve life problem:biggrin:,suicide was rare then,
now it happen on a daily basis.:mad:

30052011132.jpg

30052011110-1.jpg

nightmare for men as women fought for equal rights.:mad:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best MeeSiam (w/o hum of course)...i ever eat was sold by a BaBa gentlemen...wearing grey shorts...white singlet...and a pointed hat...carrying 1 pot of sauce n 1 basket of bee hoon and ingredients balance on a bamboo pole...sound kinda strange but hey...tat was b4 1969...at Joo Jiat Place...ah...yes and de tock tock mee too...slup! slup!...:biggrin::biggrin:

Wonder if the Mee Siam with Hum is a result of Sg's affluence? If it is, I'm still below poverty line.

Anyway, Mee Siam was never a choice for me as I'd pick Mee Rebus instead.

Ahh, the tick tock Kwey Teow soup, home delivery - still piping hot. Even the keling barber came by on bicycle.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Limpei prided myself as dissappearing king - never get caught one. Ma was always too busy to worry about what I did, as long as final year result no red ink, she was on my side. That block soap was used for everything, body soap, shampoo, dog soap, and soap carving at school.

I only ate at Swee Kee (can't remember Beach Road or Lavender Street) once in my life. My successful toy-salesman uncle took us there in his Hillman Imp (can't remember how the hell we cramped two families into the little jalopy) and at the end of the evening was pissed off that his expensive leather shoes got m&d on them.

Kite season, I found myself with the group racing across streets with cars, oblivious to our own safety. Main reason is that my own kite-flying skills sucked. Yes, and it always ended up in fights and torn kites.

Cheers!

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
And I remember pounding glass to make glass powder and coat the kite lines for kite fights. :smile:

We had various names for the varied firecrackers. Still remember, there were metal toy guns that hammer red strips of paper that contains pellets of gun powder, and give off a muted bang.

Rediffusion was like an alarm clock for me.

Those were the days...we knew what is life then, and lived it :smile:... now look at this country.....sigh.

......., fight kites (limpei preferred chasing the lost ones), made catapults (lastic) to shoot birds and mudskippers, and peeped at our friend's sisters when they took a pee. Anything but dull. Not with firecrackers legal.

Cheers!

Last edited: