• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good hospitalization plans in Australia or Canada

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
:confused::confused::confused: you started watching ceiling fan rotating again? No big plasma tv/Foxtel? $900AUD for a 42" plasma in JB-Hifi now lah, so tempted to get one. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Haha.. I am installing the ceiling fans for the moment.. one for the living, 4 for the rooms.. enjoying the propeller spinning.. :P my plasma 42" bought 3.2yrs ago for 3.2k :( Foxtel ? not yet.. perhaps planning for satellite dish to watch HK movies.. heehee

kookiemon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bring her along for your landing, educated her about the different in life style and let her know that Canada is not as "White" as she thinks. In edmonton, i can even find Dosai, Bryani and lots of asian stuff

Hehe... don't think we haven't considered this. From my MIL's reaction, any time we bring up migration, her face start to turn sour and the volume of her voice increase already. The thing is, having traveled to Canada, we know that there are significant Chinese populations around the big cities and she should be able to get around with her limited English over there.

Aiyah, I think a bit bo pian liao lah, a bit difficult for elderly to change mindset. Hopefully next time she can calm down a bit and accept the reality and stay there for a short while and see for herself.

scroobal said:
Don't say, migration, say job posting. Once she visits you there, things will be alright. Everyone fears the unknown.

Heh, it's a bit too late for that now. The pot already got hole liao (Cantonese).

axe168 said:
Now, we are starting the above again.. :P I'll let you know in another 5yrs.. hows our outcome..

If you don't mind me asking, where are you trying to migrate from & to? And what prompted the movement as it seemed to me that you were quite successful since your last move.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha.. I am installing the ceiling fans for the moment.. one for the living, 4 for the rooms.. enjoying the propeller spinning.. :P my plasma 42" bought 3.2yrs ago for 3.2k :( Foxtel ? not yet.. perhaps planning for satellite dish to watch HK movies.. heehee

You tried IPTV yet? Not bad, can get CNA, Aljezeera, Bloomberg. FOC in Sydney for all free to air channels as well. Once in a while I tune to CNA to watch Japan/Korean hour.

http://tpg.com.au/iptv/

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm now facing the same situation, except that it's my mom-in-law who's really against us migrating to Canada. My parents in Malaysia are actually encouraging us to try it out.

I can't really blame my mom-in-law as she has been taking care of my daughter and is probably not ready to let go of her and my wife. But I don't see much of a choice but to do this now as I don't really feel like letting my child struggle through the Singapore education system.

1. I understand your situation. For some people, it is as simple as moving to Perth (Provided you like this zzz city) - 5 hours away by airbus, same time zone. It is not as cold and far as Canada.

2. But if you don't, then see if your MIL is comfortable with new technology like Skype. Sometimes, all they want to see is her daughter and granddaughter on a "live screen" so she do not feel so lonely. Skype is free, so let her nag online about health, etc. After that, she will be OK.

Things work differently today. In the past when your ancestors arrive in Nanyang, they have a tough life. But now, people work all over the world, but our world has became closer (Eg how I communicate with you) through technology.

Who does your MIL trust? If you can convenice that person of your choice, it will help a lot.

If your MIL is independent, she can fly alone to look for you, with a small lugguge. Because her clothes are already in your house from last visit. Just make sure you are at the airport to fetch her :biggrin:

kookiemon

Alfrescian
Loyal
2. But if you don't, then see if your MIL is comfortable with new technology like Skype. Sometimes, all they want to see is her daughter and granddaughter on a "live screen" so she do not feel so lonely. Skype is free, so let her nag online about health, etc. After that, she will be OK.

Who does your MIL trust? If you can convenice that person of your choice, it will help a lot.

If your MIL is independent, she can fly alone to look for you, with a small lugguge. Because her clothes are already in your house from last visit. Just make sure you are at the airport to fetch her :biggrin:

Already setup Skype for my parents in M'sia. They love being able to see their granddaughter when we chat. MIL unfortunately not computer literate. I may just get one of those Skype handsets so that she won't have to mess around using the PC.

The person my MIL really trust is my wife, but right now too difficult to talk to her about this. I think one of the main reason is that she's quite daunted by the travelling time (20+ hours flight). If she's up to flying over, I actually don't mind flying with her to Canada (for instance after we return to SG for CNY).

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you don't mind me asking, where are you trying to migrate from & to? And what prompted the movement as it seemed to me that you were quite successful since your last move.

My pro-pap wifey used to say.. "only loser migrate overseas".. KNN...
Cant blame her for her statement, coz she's local grad and local mental and local xposures.. risk adverse.. Suitable for a good officer.. definitely not an entreprenuer.

My 1st destination was great ! Sunny Brisbane.. enjoyed mini property boom .. but wifey has high expectation. She prefers Melbourne for shopping, foods etc.. So here we are.. currently enjoying another mini boom in Mel :smile:

Successful ? haha.... If you should ask : Have we achieved our Objectives.
a) To be HAPPY (yes)...
b) To have more family time (yes)
c) To enjoy good growth (yes)
d) Hobby and boating - no :( not yet.

Whatever you do.. please consider "CHOICE", if you dont have any.. your life is sealed..

You got it ?

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My observation

20 hours in a flight is indeed an issue, plus the jetlag and time difference.

So, we really need modern technology to address this SEPARATION.

If your MIL know how to operate the Skype phone independantly, and see the live video of your family in Canada. I think you will face less resistance.

I think if you can address the root of her resistance, you should be alright.

See how your parents in Malaysia are able to accept Skype is a good example.

I know of people with greater problem - independent mother (from hubby side) turning up unannounced at your doorstep and take over the running of the household.

This type, hubby is split between wife and mother. Worse!

(PAP realised its mistake and now trying to get the older folks to be more independent and less reliant on their children. A bit too late.)

Already setup Skype for my parents in M'sia. They love being able to see their granddaughter when we chat. MIL unfortunately not computer literate. I may just get one of those Skype handsets so that she won't have to mess around using the PC.

The person my MIL really trust is my wife, but right now too difficult to talk to her about this. I think one of the main reason is that she's quite daunted by the travelling time (20+ hours flight). If she's up to flying over, I actually don't mind flying with her to Canada (for instance after we return to SG for CNY).

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure whether this is available in Canada, but I'm using VoIP with a physical phone.

https://www.mynetfone.com.au/

You can get VoIP devices that allows you to attach to a physical phone. I'm making calls everyday back at $0.15 per call now. Wahahaha even got to one stage where my mum asked me not to call back so often. Maybe you can try if Singapore sells one of these devices.

https://www.mynetfone.com.au/shop/voip-device/linksys-spa3102/

Might be easier for your MIL to dial a number rather then using a computer.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to be blunt but why is your mother in law in your equation in the first place. Does she provide the bulk of the income for your family, does she have substantial assets that may have to depend on.

This is a matter with your wife and for your kids in the future. Its about building pathways for your kids.Unless the grandparents have travelled and well educated, nearly all will find migration daunting.

She had her time in the sun, now its your turn to make serious decisions. Over the years, I have spoken to many successful migrants in 3 continents and the vast majority migrated despite being discouraged by the parents and grandparents. These very same grandparents are now having a great time and due to their also draw an income from the State. For the first time, they buying presents for their grandkids and feel damn good.

Tell your wife, that you are not going to the Amazon or Borneo. You are going to a 1st world countries for the sake of your family and your kids. You are doing what your forefathers did just a century back.

kookiemon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Successful ? haha.... If you should ask : Have we achieved our Objectives.
a) To be HAPPY (yes)...
b) To have more family time (yes)
c) To enjoy good growth (yes)
d) Hobby and boating - no :( not yet.

Wah.... seems like your goal is to move from good to better :smile:. I'm still struggling with b, c and d now.

I know of people with greater problem - independent mother (from hubby side) turning up unannounced at your doorstep and take over the running of the household.

This seems quite scary. Heng that my MIL not this type of character.

Not sure whether this is available in Canada, but I'm using VoIP with a physical phone.

https://www.mynetfone.com.au/

mynetfone does not seem to be available in Canada, but have not considered VoIP phone services yet. Will explore this option. Thanks.

Sorry to be blunt but why is your mother in law in your equation in the first place. Does she provide the bulk of the income for your family, does she have substantial assets that may have to depend on.

This is a matter with your wife and for your kids in the future. Its about building pathways for your kids.Unless the grandparents have travelled and well educated, nearly all will find migration daunting.

Hehe.. you're right. At this point in time, no matter what my MIL feels about this we are adamant on going for it. But you know how it is lar... my wife is very close to her mum. She wants to get her 'blessing', so to speak and since the first few years over there is going to be tough for us as a family, I will do what I can to keep my wife's mind at peace. But, it's more of a 'good to have' rather than 'must have' kind of thing.

Over the years, I have spoken to many successful migrants in 3 continents and the vast majority migrated despite being discouraged by the parents and grandparents. These very same grandparents are now having a great time and due to their also draw an income from the State. For the first time, they buying presents for their grandkids and feel damn good.

Just to clarify, do you mean that the grandparents also migrated over as well? That's a good long term goal for me. Right now I need to focus on getting my family and I settled over there first.

BTW, paiseh for hijacking this thread. I just couldn't resist getting some feedback from people who have already gone through this path before.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are some condition/qualification. If 50% sibiling are in OZ, they can bring their parents over. Thats means 1 or 2 child families immediately qualify. The usual scenario is to migrate and then bring them over.

Will tell you one funny case that was told me about this grandmother. She resisted and finally she went over to Melbourne after her son's family went over. She is now big time promoter of OZ because she draws a forthnightly income as a "retiree". In Singapore she was a housewife and never worked in her life.

Without fail, the income collected is used to purchase an annual air ticket back to Singapore and buy a big bag of rice for her relatives. She is proud of the fact that it her monet and not from the kids. She insist on buying rice even though Singapore does not need it. Its her measure of success.

Just to clarify, do you mean that the grandparents also migrated over as well? That's a good long term goal for me. Right now I need to focus on getting my family and I settled over there first.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal

You can bring your MIL along. I know of a PR - brought the mother along on Tourist Visa. Drag for 1 year before she got her status to stay permanently - i have to find out how he does it. Will report back

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look up on Canada site all the answer is there.

MIL is consider grandparent so no problem in sponsoring her at all.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

Sponsoring your family

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) knows it is important to help families who come from other countries to reunite in Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child (including adopted child) or other eligible relative (such as a parent or grandparent) to become a permanent resident.

CIC refers to the immigrants who are eligible to use this family sponsoring process as the Family Class.

If you become a permanent resident, you can live, study and work in Canada. For more information about being a permanent resident in Canada, see the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.

When you arrive in Canada as a permanent resident, you must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own essential needs and those of your family.

If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you are responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your spouse or relative does not need to seek financial assistance from the government.

The process to sponsor your family begins when you, as a citizen or permanent resident in Canada, apply to be a sponsor.

There are two different processes for sponsoring your family. One process is used for sponsoring your spouse, conjugal or common-law partner and/or dependent children. Another process is used to sponsor other eligible relatives.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This seems quite scary. Heng that my MIL not this type of character.

I know of families who migrate because of family and in-laws problems.
What to do ??? It is run-away or divorce.

So, your problem is not unsolvable.

Bring the MIL over to Canada.

Even in zzz Perth, there is organised activities for senior Chinese people.
http://www.chungwah.org.au/community.html

You can subscribe to satelite TV for HK/Singapore TV program. In future, with Internet TV, even better.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know of families who migrate because of family and in-laws problems.
What to do ??? It is run-away or divorce.

So, your problem is not unsolvable.

Bring the MIL over to Canada.

Even in zzz Perth, there is organised activities for senior Chinese people.
http://www.chungwah.org.au/community.html

You can subscribe to satelite TV for HK/Singapore TV program. In future, with Internet TV, even better.

Wahahahah not only just families. I returned because I can't stand my mum's nagging at home. What is wrong with sinkies woman? They really talk too much ah ? :confused::confused::confused: