• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

General Comparison between Auckland and Melbourne in living costs

depeche

Alfrescian
Loyal
Generally the cost of living in both countries is very high...much higher that in SG and anywhere in Asia...I guess staying put in SG is better!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The average income of Australians have gone up 50% in the past 5 years. So, it is above the cost of living 38%. But if Singaporeans' income have not increase as much, it will be harder to migrate here. Can consider other cheaper destinations.

attachment.php

Not surprise if Kiwis do not have cars in Melbourne. I know people who do not drive in Melbourne. They can always do car sharing or rental.

Last edited:

earmosim

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the past ( 10 yrs ago), after moving to these places, you bought a house and still have some spare money.

This is no longer the case. AUD and NZD are high, house prices have increased more than 180% between 2000- 2011.

For would be immigrants, these places are no longer cheap as compare to their home countries.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the past ( 10 yrs ago), after moving to these places, you bought a house and still have some spare money.

This is no longer the case. AUD and NZD are high, house prices have increased more than 180% between 2000- 2011.

For would be immigrants, these places are no longer cheap as compare to their home countries.

The game has changed, esp for Singaporeans.

Depends on where the immigrants come from. Rich China and India immigrants have replace other poorer Asian immigrants. Chinese people esp need overseas safe havens because a more assertive China population may dent CCP control and cause the Party to tighten up that closed society. :biggrin:

Last edited:

earmosim

Alfrescian
Loyal
The game has changed, esp for Singaporeans.

Depends on where the immigrants come from. Rich China and India immigrants have replace other poorer Asian immigrants. Chinese people esp need overseas safe havens because a more assertive China population may dent CCP control and cause the Party to tighten up that closed society. :biggrin:

True. These chinese immigrants drive up the price of houses too. You will notice that many real estate agents eyes would brighten up whenever they see chinese people at the open house.

in the last 15 yrs, the ball games has definately changed...

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
There will be a backlash though in the hiring practices in oz against Asians especially the Chinese. Once their children cant find jobs in Oz, they might have to pack their bags and head back to china.

Last edited:

earmosim

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore used to be a rich cousin now is the poor cousin.......

Manay singaporean used to laugh at chinaman.... now is the other way round.....

How things have changed..... :smile:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed was house hunting over weekend. The moment I speak mandarin with a Chinese accent their face lights up. I'm glad I got rid of the aweful Singaporean accent I have.

True. These chinese immigrants drive up the price of houses too. You will notice that many real estate agents eyes would brighten up whenever they see chinese people at the open house.

in the last 15 yrs, the ball games has definately changed...

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal

But reality is sinkee more easily hired by western company which pays the most. Chinaman still need to work in sweatshops. Just look at the woodlands indutrial estate. Full of chinamen and most of them got some kind of degree. Nobody gives a crap about chinamen and mei meis. We just want their cheap work and money.

earmosim

Alfrescian
Loyal
But reality is sinkee more easily hired by western company which pays the most. Chinaman still need to work in sweatshops. Just look at the woodlands indutrial estate. Full of chinamen and most of them got some kind of degree. Nobody gives a crap about chinamen and mei meis. We just want their cheap work and money.

yes, of course, different category of people. Those have and have-not.
So as indian i suppose.

Some hard working chinese have made it, may be some started low before. Some million dollars houses are just taken by chinese buyers in this part of the world.

Attended an auction the other day, a house was bought by a chinese in early 30 in cash. i noticed a few kiwi with family felt left out as this kind of price range required both couple work full time and mortgaged for at least 30 yrs.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal

yes, of course, different category of people. Those have and have-not.
So as indian i suppose.

Some hard working chinese have made it, may be some started low before. Some million dollars houses are just taken by chinese buyers in this part of the world.

Attended an auction the other day, a house was bought by a chinese in early 30 in cash. i noticed a few kiwi with family felt left out as this kind of price range required both couple work full time and mortgaged for at least 30 yrs.

Yes of course with hard work or being born rich one can buy anything anywhere. But the truth is whether their children will find jobs and equal opportunity in these foreign soil is another question altogether. I've lived in Canada before and those high end apartments in Vancouver are filled with rich honkees and Taiwanese. But where are their children working at? Believe me when I say that Oz/ NZ/ Canada/ Europe/ US citizens and business owners are not too happy now with the China chinese. It was bad before but its worst now. Westerners wants someone to blame for their miseries and failures and the chinese are their number 1 target.
Even the chinese in sinkapore look down on the mainland chinese. Also to note is the anger towards indian migrants awhile back in OZ. There was a backlash at indian nationals and the feeling is still strong among locals.

Once the property shit hits the fan in OZ, it wont be so rosy for these same rich mainland chinese and I dont think Ozzies will bother differentiating the different asian races and nationalities. All asians to them are chinese. That said, I'm still heading there to carve out a niche for myself. Better suffer there for awhile than suffer in eternity in sinkapore.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these are first world countries that have a long history of immigration with many into their 3rd and 4th migration waves. Every wave and every ethnic group have succeeded in the main. People talk about backlash, discrimination, racism, glass ceiling etc.

Vancouver is not a commercial city or the capital. Common sense will tell you that opportunities are found in capital cities such as Toronto, Montreal, Sydney, Melbourne, London, Frisco, NY, LA etc. If you are dumb enough to move to places other than these and you are not retiree, rather than bitch and moan, why not reason and move towards where the opportunities. Some people are not meant to migrate. They cannot adapt, they are lost without help.

Singaporeans should not have any problem as their education standards are high, they speak English well, they are highly westernised and certainly more likely to adapt than some other 3rd world entities.

Even in Singapore, you will find people that whinge and whine because they cannot be promoted, face discrimination because they did not come from an elite background, wrong school etc.

If a fucking Mexican who has no formal education, an Ah Tiong and an An Neh can make it, buy a nice house and have children that are more confident, better educated, and is now coming to Singapore to run a business as an arm of MNC so that dumb Singaporeans who have no balls to survive outside Singapore can be employed, it does tell a lot.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All these are first world countries that have a long history of immigration with many into their 3rd and 4th migration waves. Every wave and every ethnic group have succeeded in the main. People talk about backlash, discrimination, racism, glass ceiling etc.

Vancouver is not a commercial city or the capital. Common sense will tell you that opportunities are found in capital cities such as Toronto, Montreal, Sydney, Melbourne, London, Frisco, NY, LA etc. If you are dumb enough to move to places other than these and you are not retiree, rather than bitch and moan, why not reason and move towards where the opportunities. Some people are not meant to migrate. They cannot adapt, they are lost without help.

Singaporeans should not have any problem as their education standards are high, they speak English well, they are highly westernised and certainly more likely to adapt than some other 3rd world entities.

Even in Singapore, you will find people that whinge and whine because they cannot be promoted, face discrimination because they did not come from an elite background, wrong school etc.

1. Migrants can still have a life in the regional cities, it is a lifestyle choice.

2. Racism is always been around, just live with it. Even in Australia, it could be an Indian Aussie looking down on you.

3. There has never been a better time to migrate. It is not that long ago when asian ingredients like chinese noodles and tofu cannot be found in regional cities. Now, there is asian section in major supermarkets, even in remote towns (just watch out for expiry dates :smile:)

4. For Singaporeans, migration free up the "anxiety" in the mind. Economic ups and downs, problem solving are easier to overcome, compared to Singapore where govt interference restrict a lot of ideas. (at least when I was living there)

Time have changed. Think about how Hong Kongers used to look down on mainlanders, now they have to learn Mandarin and all the popular HK singers are in mainland.

For Singaporeans who studied overseas in the 90s - now that group has been replaced by Chinese Mainlanders.

Last edited:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal

If a fucking Mexican who has no formal education, an Ah Tiong and an An Neh can make it, buy a nice house and have children that are more confident, better educated, and is now coming to Singapore to run a business as an arm of MNC so that dumb Singaporeans who have no balls to survive outside Singapore can be employed, it does tell a lot.

Not trying to discourage anyone in leaving the shithole called shithole. Just that its not as easy today. My observation is that the cities you have mentioned are saturated with migrant workers and depending on their ethnicity and where they are from, there is a kind of hierarchic in terms of which race gets more attention first. In the states is whites-blacks--Hispanics--asians. The movie Crash is an example im kind of refering to. BTW ive work in three major province in Cnada in 04.
Out of which Alberta is the booming province. Same goes to the mining states in OZ right now. If sinkees wanna stand out and be heard overseas, they should grow some balls and take the road less travel,grab the bull by the horns. Unfortunately these kind of sinkee is a rare breed.

Last edited:

earmosim

Alfrescian
Loyal
On a hindsight, harshsip and discrimination can be positive energy for immigrants. i have seen many chinese turn away from employment and go into businesses and some businesses are now successfully run.

While running a business is not an easy task and risk of failing, but that is the spirit of capitalism. no risk no gain.

Racism is always around, but do not let that consume you and use it positively and you will see the different.

1. Migrants can still have a life in the regional cities, it is a lifestyle choice.

2. Racism is always been around, just live with it. Even in Australia, it could be an Indian Aussie looking down on you.

3. There has never been a better time to migrate. It is not that long ago when asian ingredients like chinese noodles and tofu cannot be found in regional cities. Now, there is asian section in major supermarkets, even in remote towns (just watch out for expiry dates :smile:)

4. For Singaporeans, migration free up the "anxiety" in the mind. Economic ups and downs, problem solving are easier to overcome, compared to Singapore where govt interference restrict a lot of ideas. (at least when I was living there)

Time have changed. Think about how Hong Kongers used to look down on mainlanders, now they have to learn Mandarin and all the popular HK singers are in mainland.

For Singaporeans who studied overseas in the 90s - now that group has been replaced by Chinese Mainlanders.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On a hindsight, harshsip and discrimination can be positive energy for immigrants. i have seen many chinese turn away from employment and go into businesses and some businesses are now successfully run.

While running a business is not an easy task and risk of failing, but that is the spirit of capitalism. no risk no gain.

Racism is always around, but do not let that consume you and use it positively and you will see the different.

Usually, the racism is not as bad in the workplace, you do not even know it is there. Some people just do not know how treat you culturally. Eg In my office, we even celebrate the end of Ramadan for our muslim colleagues. Now is 9/11 memorial, so we do not want to talk about it in their presence. To the muslims, they may think that we are talking behind them because we stop the moment they are within our presence.

Sometimes,a colleague can just talk something like "... as long as we do not go to the Asian place ..." and then they realised your presence. They will turned red-faced and apologise. "Sorry, I do not know you are here"
Do you get offended? For me, No. Because I also talk bad about the AngloSaxons. I just tell them it is okay. "I get annoyed with Asians too" (Which is true)

But the issue of not employing Asians is something I understand. Their response is that they will employ people from your country (Singapore) but not from one that they have difficulty communicating with (Usually Hongkong, China). Sometimes, it is hard to know where the candidates come from until they open their mouth.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not trying to discourage anyone in leaving the shithole called shithole. Just that its not as easy today. My observation is that the cities you have mentioned are saturated with migrant workers and depending on their ethnicity and where they are from, there is a kind of hierarchic in terms of which race gets more attention first. In the states is whites-blacks--Hispanics--asians. The movie Crush is an example im kind of refering to. BTW ive work in three major province in Cnada in 04.
Out of which Alberta is the booming province. Same goes to the mining states in OZ right now. If sinkees wanna stand out and be heard overseas, they should grow some balls and take the road less travel,grab the bull by the horns. Unfortunately these kind of sinkee is a rare breed.

Eg For those in the Resources sector.

No one will go Adelaide unless they are joining a big employer like Santos.

For Perth, FIFO workers prefer here because the planes stop here and the eastern state workers and Kiwis have to wait for hours before the next flight home. Is it a surprise that Perth has 3 domestic air terminals and a tiny international terminal. Also, the presence of knock shops near the airport to keep the cashed up workers entertained. :biggrin:

Last edited: