• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Funny boss and company

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Sirs, just sharing my current scenario, any helpful comments are welcomed:

You got a boss, sounds nice, works in EU. He doesn't bother you and you don't him. You have a weekly meeting which he says you must attend but he likes to do this:

1. Change meeting from 10pm to 11pm and then to 1am. Now when i am in the call, at precisely 1.09am, he sends and update for the call to be held at 4am. No way i can join that. He does this (last minute) thing to everyone though and this has happened many many times, the last minute changes.

2. You can NEVER EVER contact him, he doesn't return your calls, your VMs, SMS, etc. Your other colleagues seem to talk to him regularly though. Yet during monthly meetings, he tells everyone what a good guy i am and how i am helping the bottomline(i do basically 3 jobs, 1 in APAC,1 in EU, 1 in Eastern US)

3. He doesn't tell you when your colleague who you schedule calls for suddenly takes leave/medical leave so you end up doing the call yourself. Colleague keeps promising he can take the call/project but last minute always play you out by medical leave, worse you don't know whether he is really on medical leave or not.

4. All of sudden, you get a spot bonus. You feel happy but then you don't get anything else that you have done, for the other work in EMEA and US. You are still grateful though but this, as with all announcements, come out of the blue.

5. Your colleagues in Singapore sends emails CCing your colleague in every email you are involved with even when this colleague is not involved. I guess its tacit implication to the boss that they support him or something but its really weird as he is in no way able to influence or change anything but yet CCed in everything.

Last edited:

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sirs, just sharing my current scenario, any helpful comments are welcomed:

You got a boss, sounds nice, works in EU. He doesn't bother you and you don't him. You have a weekly meeting which he says you must attend but he likes to do this:

1. Change meeting from 10pm to 11pm and then to 1am. Now when i am in the call, at precisely 1.09am, he sends and update for the call to be held at 4am. No way i can join that. He does this (last minute) thing to everyone though and this has happened many many times, the last minute changes.

2. You can NEVER EVER contact him, he doesn't return your calls, your VMs, SMS, etc. Your other colleagues seem to talk to him regularly though. Yet during monthly meetings, he tells everyone what a good guy i am and how i am helping the bottomline(i do basically 3 jobs, 1 in APAC,1 in EU, 1 in Eastern US)

3. He doesn't tell you when your colleague who you schedule calls for suddenly takes leave/medical leave so you end up doing the call yourself. Colleague keeps promising he can take the call/project but last minute always play you out by medical leave, worse you don't know whether he is really on medical leave or not.

4. All of sudden, you get a spot bonus. You feel happy but then you don't get anything else that you have done, for the other work in EMEA and US. You are still grateful though but this, as with all announcements, come out of the blue.

5. Your colleagues in Singapore sends emails CCing your colleague in every email you are involved with even when this colleague is not involved. I guess its tacit implication to the boss that they support him or something but its really weird as he is in no way able to influence or change anything but yet CCed in everything.

Sit back, relax, go with the flow, take more medical leave. You might not get another chance like this again, to work in such a weird company.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
:rolleyes:Thanks for all the comments.

Worse is when you have colleagues who:

1. Send you email and cc to a lot of customers while forgetting to put your email address at all and assuming you got the email. Then send chaser emails, again without your name inside. Then go and complain to the bosses you never reply email. Then when she found out, kept quiet. Always look good in the bosses face but operates own business behind them. Taking both salary and then running own business, when you are late for 2-3 hours in an email, you get an irate reply but sometimes whole day this person can:

a. Don't reply email, SMS & voicemails
b. Don't reply calls and YMs

What can i do? Fax to her? Then she blame delays on my lack of "communication"

2. A couple of senior colleagues (Director level) sends you email, instead of
[email protected], this guy sends to [email protected] or another time even better, [email protected] which was to ANOTHER GUY.

Suffice to say, both emails were never be received by me. Instead of noticing his bounced emails, he sends another email forwarding the email with my address as [email protected], this time to the correct address and asking why i took 2 weeks to reply. Of course what, somemore this guy is ex Cisco director and always boasts he is very technical. These 2 incidents happened not once but twice. For some weird reason, he thinks i still deliberately didn't reply to his emails and now talks to another colleague instead. What to do?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Sit back, relax, go with the flow, take more medical leave. You might not get another chance like this again, to work in such a weird company.

The funny thing is, this company is quite alright in its own way, don't require you to be in office daily so the medical leave thing actually don't really apply to both of us. This is why i don't understand he needs to keep taking "medical leave" Perharps just to "sabo" me as he keeps leaving me with problem projects at the last minute. This company is still good in its own way, very good benefits, etc.

Thats why despite the weird things, i have been with the company more than 6 years now. Whats weirder is our technical guys have higher pay than managers. So i kind of got an opportunity cost type of pay cut when i moved up. My engineers, IT guys are all drawing at least 8k and above. One guy earns easily 14k and he is an FT.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Whats weirder is our technical guys have higher pay than managers.

This is not weird to me at all. Tell Microsoft to pay their managers more then their software engineers.

To be honest, the state of our lack of strong technical industry in Singapore is because we consistently regard Manager rungs above Engineer and they are usually paid 2 to 3 times more. Therefore, the best and brightness engineer all wants to be a manager.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
This is not weird to me at all. Tell Microsoft to pay their managers more then their software engineers.

To be honest, the state of our lack of strong technical industry in Singapore is because we consistently regard Manager rungs above Engineer and they are usually paid 2 to 3 times more. Therefore, the best and brightness engineer all wants to be a manager.

Actually you are right, its the norm for companies overseas and most places except the region where everyone wants to be a manager/director.

In Singapore context though, people will find it weird as everyone always seems to have the idea that engineers earn little. Back when i was an engineer(level 4) and i was shopping for a small apartment, when the bank guy asked how my position, i said engineer. Wow, nabei, like immediately super look down like that, then asked me my gross, i said 244k a year including bonuses and stock options.

Attitude changed but still asked for my income tax papers as proof. We Singaporeans really super realistic, after i faxed over next day personally show up at my work place and got invited for coffee. 180 degrees change from the cold shoulder the day before.

Even today, when i sign up for a recent commercial course, the lecturer said to us. Do you know how much a commercial costs on tv? 5000 for 30 seconds. How many of you here make 5000 a month! He even boasted how when he was a managing director of a Japanese firm in Singapore, he earned 15k at his best when he was in his 50s and challenged us to set that as a goal and beat that.

I almost puked on my coffee, 3 of my course mates (all engineers) with me all make more than triple that.

None of them were above 35. They just smiled.