• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FOREIGN STUDENTS IN SINGAPORE Facing loneliness, stress

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dun come then
who care about these people.
if they are not happy , dun come
this defeat PAP idea that giving student scholarship to study in singapore mean teaching tomorrow leaders. then give singapore a big advantage.
if they are not happy, then they will hate singapore, and give singapore a negative image.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
dun come then
who care about these people.
if they are not happy , dun come
this defeat PAP idea that giving student scholarship to study in singapore mean teaching tomorrow leaders. then give singapore a big advantage.
if they are not happy, then they will hate singapore, and give singapore a negative image.

Wonder if the Aussie, Brit or Yankee media report on "lonely S'pore foreign students"? :confused::mad:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No really, there are lots to do, not like singapore, a little red dot, nothing to do at all. a waste land virtually.

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wonder if the Aussie, Brit or Yankee media report on "lonely S'pore foreign students"? :confused::mad:

There are mental Singkees studying overseas too. I have a friend who spent every semester feeling homesick. Her last paper is at noon, her flight home is on the same evening ... Unbelievable.

On the other extreme end, another girl was enjoying herself so much she didn't want to return after completing her course. In the end her parents had to go drag her her back physically.

When it comes to meeting weird people, overseas uni can compete with NS

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are mental Singkees studying overseas too. I have a friend who spent every semester feeling homesick. Her last paper is at noon, her flight home is on the same evening ... Unbelievable.

On the other extreme end, another girl was enjoying herself so much she didn't want to return after completing her course. In the end her parents had to go drag her her back physically.

When it comes to meeting weird people, overseas uni can compete with NS

Ya.. there will be happy and depressed students all over the world, whether in a foreign land or in their home turf.

My point was, the foreign press would not bother to write about them, would they? They got no hidden agenda for their folks, telling them they have to understand and sayang their FTs... the very jokers who will compete for your kids' jobs. :mad:

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course foreign press wouldn't be bothered to write such boliao news reports. But what to do? They are not running dogs like our local 154th.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal

No really, there are lots to do, not like singapore, a little red dot, nothing to do at all. a waste land virtually.

Honestly in most cities around the world you can't do much other than shopping, eating, landscape photography, karaoke-ing, reveling in the city sights (that gets old pretty fast too) and watching the movies.

New York, Sydney, London, Frankfurt... they are all the same.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly in most cities around the world you can't do much other than shopping, eating, landscape photography, karaoke-ing, reveling in the city sights (that gets old pretty fast too) and watching the movies.

New York, Sydney, London, Frankfurt... they are all the same.

Agree with you on this. A city is a city ..is a city. But I suppose Oz and other places have reachable country scenes to go to. We only have JB otherwise they need some cash to fly to the surrounding region.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

NS

Funny isn't it the one's who are homesick are usually the girls:confused:

Maybe what they are missing is the maid & parents who overindulge them :smile:

In my Uni days, I knew a girl who initially had a hard time adjusting to overseas Uni life, would cry at nights & told her parents she wanted to go home. You see the parents overindulged her e.g. father would clean her shoes, etc. She had no idea how to cook even rice, so it was a rough start.

However, this girl eventually emigrated to the US. So even girls grow up & quit Spore :rolleyes:

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
fcking shit..what abt singaporean student overseas? its the fcking same..cant handle it...fck back home.....and worst still these fckers are on scholarships!!!!!!!

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_347482.html

FOREIGN STUDENTS IN SINGAPORE
Facing loneliness, stress
Schools here have counselling and programmes to help them integrate, but some may slip through the cracks
By Shuli Sudderuddin , Estelle Low and Teo Wan Gek

front-ssstudent.jpg

Cambodian student Sopheaktra Phann sometimes feels so lonely here that she just wants to drop everything and go home.

The bubbly 20-year-old, a business student at Singapore Management University (SMU), said it has not been easy to make friends as she feels that Singaporean students are not always friendly.

'Sometimes, when I'm alone in my room, I can get emotional and have thoughts about just quitting school and going home,' she said.

Ms Phann has lived here for five years. Previously, she studied at Anglo-Chinese Junior College.

She is not alone in feeling the blues here. A friend, another foreign student, was so lonely and homesick that at one point she stopped attending class and stayed in bed.

'I got very worried about her and had to check on her every day till she felt better,' Ms Phann said.

The pressure that foreign students face in coping with their studies and living in Singapore came under the spotlight a week ago.

An Indonesian student at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), David Hartanto Widjaja, 21, died on campus after falling four floors. Earlier, he had stabbed an associate professor during a discussion in the latter's office.

Widjaja, who had had his Asean scholarship revoked, cut off all communication with friends two weeks before his death.

A Ministry of Education spokesman said foreigners comprise about 20 per cent of the 49,000 students in the universities.

Read the full story in today's Sunday Times.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal

hahahaha nope..THE ANG MOHS couldnt give a flying fck when we are paying so much to their economy..the fees are really high and sgrean dont get scholarships from their gov like these trash who still can cry abt homesick!! cant handle it..SHIP OUT!! MEDIA still wanna report their "plight" fcking bullocks.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
get a bf...then they will not be lonely esp at night..lots of action...thats y its always easy to prey on such lonely overseas gal..hehe..provided they are hot...

Funny isn't it the one's who are homesick are usually the girls:confused:

Maybe what they are missing is the maid & parents who overindulge them :smile:

In my Uni days, I knew a girl who initially had a hard time adjusting to overseas Uni life, would cry at nights & told her parents she wanted to go home. You see the parents overindulged her e.g. father would clean her shoes, etc. She had no idea how to cook even rice, so it was a rough start.

However, this girl eventually emigrated to the US. So even girls grow up & quit Spore :rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
get a bf...then they will not be lonely esp at night..lots of action...thats y its always easy to prey on such lonely overseas gal..hehe..provided they are hot...

Not always easy lah. I heard about Spore girls who limited their bf selection to only those doing medical or business :smile:

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
shops and malls in some cities in uk and auz close like 5pm....how bored can that be!!thats a big advantage of sg already yea and these trash still crying bored in sunny bustling sg.......go try study in some quiet cities in UK with the shit weather....they prob die like shit...WUSS!

Agree with you on this. A city is a city ..is a city. But I suppose Oz and other places have reachable country scenes to go to. We only have JB otherwise they need some cash to fly to the surrounding region.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
fcking shit..what abt singaporean student overseas? its the fcking same..cant handle it...fck back home.....and worst still these fckers are on scholarships!!!!!!!

hahahah do a search on FB and see her pic..u will understand why shes lonely...LOL.......NEWSPAPER really nothing better to do report on such shit!"! Nonsense!

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... I knew a girl who initially had a hard time adjusting to overseas Uni life, would cry at nights & told her parents she wanted to go home. You see the parents overindulged her e.g. father would clean her shoes, etc. She had no idea how to cook even rice, so it was a rough start.

However, this girl eventually emigrated to the US. ...
mayb she wen 2 sum1 who overindulge her in ze us ...

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal

i read the article again and notice that she accuse sg students r not friendly!!!!!!!!!!.. what she expect?? we must take initiative n welcome her with open arms when she is studying with our money and wana take our job???????????????????????wat a joke...