• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foodage - great Singaporean programme!!!

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I happened to watch FOODAGE!. It brought tears to my eyes.

It feaured Satay Club moving from one place to another. It also featured those itinerant hawkers of the past.
And of course some famous hawkers like the Hock Lam beef noodles and even interviewed the present lady boss with some old photographs of Hock Lam Street.So proud of our past...now all gone.

Then the unique Car Park...also gone....So sad to see old PAST gone and replaced by lifeless and soul-less modernity and technology.

You agree the modern Singapore has any meaning left? Or a brighter and golden age awaits us all ? The glorious past giving way to a more golden age? You think this will happen?

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dunno what this MSM is trying to achieve when all this does is makes people get fed up with the present situation.

What is there left to preserve when NTUC comes swooping in and takes over hawker centres?

You think you still get malay stallholders selling their satays and trying to compete with each other by inproving their taste and flavours?

All you now get are a bunch of FTs selling satays trying to make your money... period

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Agreed.The more I watched Foodage and the more I felt the loss we Singaporeans suffered. It featured some Carpark hawkers - the fishball noodles and the Or Lark.Wow! so delicious.Home made fresh fishball can you beat it!!! Or shiok Or Lark!!! Crispy hot well fried egg and oysters!!! How I missed them all !!!

When I walked round our food-courts, nothing really striked me. All I can see is beautiful and colourful photos...but the food...well you should try and be your own judge.And of course the price of the hawker fare!!!

Even some famous hawkers had already upped their prices. The famous Lavender Street wantonmee is now minimum $4!!! Hock Lam has gone minimum $6.50 !!! In fact, all the prices had shot up! Some kept their standard, but many had fallen!!! More expensive and less ingredients or short cuts!

This Foodage is really painful for old uncles and aunties like me. They talked about Fitzpatricks,Cold Storage, Yaohan...the unique A&W in Bukit Timah Road...and all the hot spots of the 70s !!! We had a vibrant night life with our OWN LOCAL BANDS!!!....Now it's so empty....where are our Singaporeans?

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Great programme every Thursday must watch for those born in the 50s 60s 70s and 80s !!! Watch before it's all gone....

Rich cultural heritage and now look around....a modern metropolis without a soul!!! sad boh?

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The beef noodle is nice and besides that, current lady boss Tina tan not bad looking too.

the place is run by china nationals....she was featured preparing the dish!!!....food is still okay.not too bad. but pretty steep for old uncles and aunties. now the well heeled office workers are the main customers. well done modern singapore. in a way, it's good to move on with the times. we cannot be stuck and be imprisoned in the past....hope our golden days are not far away.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
finally broke the cardinal rule in sg hawker foodfare and added cockles to my mee siam. excellent! it gave new meaning to boring mee siam. the sweet spicy sourness went very well with slightly salty "hum". lhl is a fecking genius. he inadvertently created a new combo unlike any other, although mee siam mai hum pales in comparison to mee siam ai hum. nonetheless, the suggestion that mee siam cums or cums not with hum alone although heretical in hawker speak is earthshaking, outside of box thinking, innovative, and will be enshrined in the hawker hall of fame.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
finally broke the cardinal rule in sg hawker foodfare and added cockles to my mee siam. excellent! it gave new meaning to boring mee siam. the sweet spicy sourness went very well with slightly salty "hum". lhl is a fecking genius. he inadvertently created a new combo unlike any other, although mee siam mai hum pales in comparison to mee siam ai hum. nonetheless, the suggestion that mee siam cums or cums not with hum alone although heretical in hawker speak is earthshaking, outside of box thinking, innovative, and will be enshrined in the hawker hall of fame.

Hum should be added to everything: chicken rice, bak chor mee, claypot rice, fried carrot cake, chwee kway, porridge, lor mee, bak kut teh, roti prata, ice kachang, pizza, hamburgers.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
scroobal said:
Anyone know where one could get Char Kway Teow with good hum?one

If you mean hum that is not over-cooked, try the stall opposite Lao Fu Zhi at Old Airport Rd Hawker Centre. The stall's name is Lucky I believe. The Kway Teow is less oily than most.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
MBS and Gardens by the Bay - very modern. But look very artificial. One is a killer.The other one a multi-billion dollar yawn....I still love our old Botanical Gardens anytime!

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone know where one could get Char Kway Teow with good hum?one

Have you tried the one at Bedok South block 16? It used to be from Hill street and moved to this area. However the hawker centre is under reconstruction (probably the 2nd time in less than 10 years)....(which stirs up my thoughts for another thread)

Its championship stuff... I always try to bring 2 fresh ducks' eggs for him to fry for me when he opens early at 11 amd I want a big plate for brunch....:wink: