• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

First Chinese commando officer graduates in Malaysia

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Malaysia’s first Chinese commando in decades aims to make country, parents proud​

Rex Tan
-16 Oct 2024, 08:30 AM

Chan Ming Youn graduated as an army special forces member this year after completing one of the world’s toughest military training programmes.

1729114638758.jpeg

Chan Ming Youn, whose current focus is to become a competent officer, hopes to one day participate in military exercises overseas.

PETALING JAYA: Chan Ming Youn’s journey to becoming the country’s first Chinese commando graduate in the last two decades is proof that determination and resilience are essential to achieve one’s ambition.

For the second lieutenant, wearing the green beret he earned earlier this year was especially meaningful – having overcome both extreme training programmes and strong resistance from his parents to qualify as a member of Grup Gerak Khas, the Malaysian army’s special forces unit.

Born in Puchong, Selangor, the 25-year-old hails from a working-class family. Neither of his parents expected him to pursue his chosen career.

"I had always been interested in the military and wanted to become a soldier since I was a kid. Maybe I thought that was the right thing to do," Chan told FMT in an interview.

After completing his SPM, he enrolled himself at the Perajurit Muda Tentera Darat army cadet school without his parent’s knowledge. They eventually found out, disapproved of his decision, and forced him to further his studies at a local university instead.

That ironically only served to boost Chan’s hopes of pursuing a career in the military, as undergraduates were allowed to join the Rejimen Askar Wataniah military reservist programme as part of their co-curricular activities.

Chan said the programme required him to attend biweekly training programmes at the army camp, which took up between eight and 10 hours each day.

His dedication to military training slowly softened his parents’ strong resistance to an unrealistic dream.

“At first they told me it would be a waste of time, and we fought over this. But when I finished my degree, I was already an adult capable of making my own decisions. They also saw my active participation in Wataniah.

1729114840619.jpeg

Chan Ming Youn (left) is the country’s first Chinese commando graduate in over two decades.

"I slowly convinced them that it was a noble deed to serve my country. In the end, they gave in and supported me," he said.

Chan joined Akademi Tentera Darat as a young cadet after graduating with an accounting degree from the Tunku Abdul Rahman University of Management and Technology.

He said his degree equipped him with important soft skills for his military career.

Motivated by parents to excel
Chan said he was motivated to complete the arduous commando training programme out of a burning desire to make his parents proud.

He recalls almost passing out during a gruelling three-day, 160km march.

Recounting it as the

choke point of the training
, Chan said he started hallucinating and was babbling nonsense at around the 140km mark.

“I crumbled and said silly things in Mandarin which I could not remember later. The programme selector, who knew a few words of Mandarin, handed me an energy bar and told me in Mandarin to eat it.

After that, I kept walking and saw the strangest things, like my squad members having ponytails, wearing teddy bear bags and carrying pink rifles,
he recalled with a hearty chuckle.

The commando training programme, Chan said, was designed to eliminate at least half of its participants so that only those in the best physical and mental condition were left standing and available for selection as soldiers.

Chan never breathed a word about the difficulties he faced to his parents for fear they would make him pack his bags and come home.

"(But) my parents were also my backbone. I didn’t want to disappoint them. I want them to see me succeed as an adult. These thoughts pushed me forward step by step," he said.

His hard work and determination finally paid off in April when he was awarded the green beret, blue lanyard and dagger – the symbols of a commando – by 21st GGK commander Adi Ridzwan Abdullah at the Sungai Udang camp.

Currently undergoing training in Johor as he works toward achieving the rank of lieutenant, Chan said his current focus is on becoming a competent officer.

He hopes to one day be selected for overseas military exercises, where he will strive to do the country proud on the international stage.

bigozt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Mudland, now what year already? Can afford to lose your Malaysian-Cina citizens who wanna be Commando to Sinkieland ah?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe it's the first in 20 years. In any case, under Dr m's reign saw type non M were sidelined on a massive scale and only type M's were given top jobs in gomen offices. Like PAP policy but in reverse.

bigozt

Alfrescian
Loyal
He will hanta kaki in 2 lootenant rank for next five years, then quit and go sell insurance for AIA Malaysia.

What's MY Cdo going to do? Go in and rescue Yahyan Sinwar? :o-o:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
He will hanta kaki in 2 lootenant rank for next five years, then quit and go sell insurance for AIA Malaysia.

What's MY Cdo going to do? Go in and rescue Yahyan Sinwar? :o-o:
They become bodyguards to sultan of Johore. Plus a nice severance in land and pension plus directorship and security and gun license.