• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fined $30 for eating sweet

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Authority provided by LTA to SMRT staff. Money goes directly to LTA.

I'd like to know exactly how the fines are administered, enforced and where does the fine money goes to? The MRT trains are run by SMRT and SBS, both public listed corporations, not statutory boards. Where do they get the authority to impose and enforce fines? And if paid, where does the money go to?

We all know that if we go into a restaurant or cinema or building and smoke, though if the establishment is privately owned, the management calls NEA or police to enforce and receive the fines, cause it's public legislation that gives the authority to enforce and impose the fines. Since SMRT and SBS have been privatised, where does the authority to enforce and power to fine come from?

That said, was from a legal viewpoint. From a personal viewpoint, I'm against eating or drinking or smoking on public transport vehicles. Though, I think sucking on a sweet or lozenge doesn't constitute eating. If throwing of wrappers is involved, then that's littering and covered by another legislation altogether.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dare the ball-less SMRT staff to fine tourists for eating/drinking in the MRT. Probably these same tourists will get away with a gentle warning & a big smile!!!!!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was in Tokyo recently, There are many vending machines at trains and subway. It is common to see people drinking and eating. What the big fuss over it.

In SINgapore, they are more concern with taking away your money, from the people of course, rather than enforcing hygiene or promotong a socail value.

Two examples:

1. At the exit from Dhoby Ghaut MRT station towards Plaza Singapura Basement entrance, there is a bo bo tea stall, selling what else drinks. next to the stall is a sign that says...No eating & drinking at...etc.
( I took out my Nikon for a shot, and was stopped by the station security, ang moh lan...keep quiet).

2. At the exit from Harbourfront MRT station towards the passage going right to Harbourfront or left to Vivocity, there is a stall selling food, chicken rice, duck rice etc.. Not far from there, a sign that says...no eating & drinking...etc

add any more observation...

So, they sell food at the MRT station area, right outside the turnstile, some wise money making idea...

Making money from you...you buy the food & drink from the shops, you pay money; they then fine you for eating & drinking, you pay money.....

Either way...you get 'fooked'...:mad:

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dare the ball-less SMRT staff to fine tourists for eating/drinking in the MRT. Probably these same tourists will get away with a gentle warning & a big smile!!!!!

Talk of the devil. Just yesterday we saw a Japanese tourist who was let off with a light warning by the train staff for happily munching at a box of strawberry Pocky (from a plastic bag written as "Sheng Siong") but as he stood up he suddenly saw something, felt bad and he kept pointing at what was the sign and said 'sha cho! tamae! I make mistake!' A commotion followed and even the operations manager had to be called in to lead him to the exit to tap his card and let him off with a friendly smile.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well said! However I respectfully disagree that sucking on a sweet or lozenge doesn't constitute eating. It is still considered eating. One doesn't just suck on the sweet and leave it at that. After sucking, we eat/drink the sweetness.
:biggrin:

Well said, I too believe you have a valid point in the contention.

Authority provided by LTA to SMRT staff. Money goes directly to LTA.

Thanks for the clarification.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal

I totally agree with that. The tourists will either make a fuss or act blur and say they dunno.......unlike Sinkies who just accept it and then complain about it in Stomp as though ppl give a damn!
Those ballless officers only know how to bully those silent Sinkies! Get one Ang Mo to shout in their faces and their lancheows also shrink inside liao!

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
I totally agree with that. The tourists will either make a fuss or act blur and say they dunno.......unlike Sinkies who just accept it and then complain about it in Stomp as though ppl give a damn!
Those ballless officers only know how to bully those silent Sinkies! Get one Ang Mo to shout in their faces and their lancheows also shrink inside liao!

Nope. Not the Japanese tourist we saw, thank you.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
those idiots on stomp are paid by their 'masters'...as if you can't tell one type of mongrel from another?..pa-ra-iah dogs!:rolleyes:

if one is having a meal or drinking softdrinks, those bo bo cha...etc., fair enough it will make the cabins dirty..

but sucking a sweet...

so, next time, when the SMRT person, will inspect every one on the train for sweets in the mouth..

YOU!, OPEN YOUR MOUTH!:rolleyes:

Probably a stand by mouth. :biggrin:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was in Tokyo recently, There are many vending machines at trains and subway. It is common to see people drinking and eating. What the big fuss over it.

If you go to Sydney or Melbourne, eating and drinking in trains and trams are common.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'd like to know exactly how the fines are administered, enforced and where does the fine money goes to? The MRT trains are run by SMRT and SBS, both public listed corporations, not statutory boards. Where do they get the authority to impose and enforce fines? And if paid, where does the money go to?

We all know that if we go into a restaurant or cinema or building and smoke, though if the establishment is privately owned, the management calls NEA or police to enforce and receive the fines, cause it's public legislation that gives the authority to enforce and impose the fines. Since SMRT and SBS have been privatised, where does the authority to enforce and power to fine come from?

They may be privatised but the govt is still the majority shareholder so if you pay a fine, you are still in one way or another sponosoring the pay checks of the million $$$ ministars.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
these lan jiao lan only prey on locals. and their balls shrink when they see ang mos. at first i don't believe. now i am convinced.