• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fined $30 for eating sweet

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_404559.html?vgnmr=1

Fined $30 for eating sweet

THE crime? Eating a sweet on board an MRT train.

The punishment? A $30 fine.

The offender 48-year-old housewife, Mdm Bibi Zaina Binti Mohamed attempts to justify her actions.

She said, 'I know it is not OK but I take it sometimes because I am giddy.'

Enforcement officer Roger Foo did not buy her explanation. 'If everyone were to say they have to take sweets because they are thirsty or giddy, where are we going to draw a line?' he rebukes.

SMRT on Thursday started cracking down on commuters eating or drinking on trains.

500 enforcement officers have started patrolling trains for errant commuters and if you are caught consuming, first time offenders could be fined $30.

Such action comes a year after trying a different approach.

Before this crackdown, SMRT used to counsel chomping commuters instead.

However, when the number offences rose from 276 cases in 2006 to 595 in 2008, SMRT moved to change tactics.

Whether the enforcement works remains to be seen, but you can find out what happens to people caught for eating or drinking on board a MRT train or at a MRT station on RazorTV.

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
To me, sweet is ok. Sometimes you need to take some 'fisherman' drops or even lozenges if you are sick. I think it is too harsh to fine $30 for sweets. But I guess they will fine only locals, not the foreigners especially the tourists. Too bad, the locals will have to be put under the spotlight, blamed & shamed. Locals have to be scapegoats again......very sad.....:(

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
if the lady is diabete patient, and her blood sugar level too low, can't her take a sweet. kan ni bu ccb.

jim007jimmyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
To me, sweet is ok. Sometimes you need to take some 'fisherman' drops or even lozenges if you are sick. I think it is too harsh to fine $30 for sweets. But I guess they will fine only locals, not the foreigners especially the tourists. Too bad, the locals will have to be put under the spotlight, blamed & shamed. Locals have to be scapegoats again......very sad.....:(

all thanks to the FTrash PRC who eats and urinate in the train

marther fuckers wonder they urinate in their own bedroom floor fucking animals

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about drinking mineral water? Cannot issit?

What about kids eating sweets? Also cannot issit?

Fark those FTs who are the cause of all these! We never had this problem before they came!

Fark those moron enforcement officers who only know to excute their master's orders like dogs! Dogs dun think! Think just act on reflex!
Draw their CCB line! They dunno what the fark they are doing so they just anyhow hantam!

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about drinking mineral water? Cannot issit?

What about kids eating sweets? Also cannot issit?

Fark those FTs who are the cause of all these! We never had this problem before they came!

Fark those moron enforcement officers who only know to excute their master's orders like dogs! Dogs dun think! Think just act on reflex!
Draw their CCB line! They dunno what the fark they are doing so they just anyhow hantam!

U referring to these pests on bikes?

a84bbc7a-cb87-43bc-a743-823a323529c9.jpg

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
As in the stomp photos, many of those culprits are students in uniforms . The educated but illiterate students who could not read the no eating sign

babachai

Alfrescian
Loyal
<<500 enforcement officers have started patrolling trains for errant commuters and if you are caught consuming, first time offenders could be fined $30.>>
If they employ 500 officers, it will cost them 500 x $2000/mth= $1mil a month.
To cover this cost, they need to catch 1,111 pax per day to cover cost.
I think there are better way to sepnt the 1 mil.

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was those idiots in STOMP that caused all this. They had been taking pictures and putting it up. They complain and complain until SMRT look so bad and have to take action loh. Fuck those STOMPERS!!!:oIo:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was those idiots in STOMP that caused all this. They had been taking pictures and putting it up. They complain and complain until SMRT look so bad and have to take action loh. Fuck those STOMPERS!!!:oIo:

those idiots on stomp are paid by their 'masters'...as if you can't tell one type of mongrel from another?..pa-ra-iah dogs!:rolleyes:

if one is having a meal or drinking softdrinks, those bo bo cha...etc., fair enough it will make the cabins dirty..

but sucking a sweet...

so, next time, when the SMRT person, will inspect every one on the train for sweets in the mouth..

YOU!, OPEN YOUR MOUTH!:rolleyes:

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
How to enforce if there are grey areas? So the SMRT are to list down every single food item that is allowed or not allowed? Like what they say in the army, there is nothing that you can't do, just dun get caught doing those that you're not suppose to do.

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was in Tokyo recently, There are many vending machines at trains and subway. It is common to see people drinking and eating. What the big fuss over it.

Stage 5

Alfrescian
Loyal
<<500 enforcement officers have started patrolling trains for errant commuters and if you are caught consuming, first time offenders could be fined $30.>>
If they employ 500 officers, it will cost them 500 x $2000/mth= $1mil a month.
To cover this cost, they need to catch 1,111 pax per day to cover cost.
I think there are better way to sepnt the 1 mil.

They could use a public reward system,.. like say a 10 bucks reward for anyone from the general public who naps a culprit seen eating in the mrt. It will definitely will be very effective and not to mention huge cost savings for SMRT. :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'd like to know exactly how the fines are administered, enforced and where does the fine money goes to? The MRT trains are run by SMRT and SBS, both public listed corporations, not statutory boards. Where do they get the authority to impose and enforce fines? And if paid, where does the money go to?

We all know that if we go into a restaurant or cinema or building and smoke, though if the establishment is privately owned, the management calls NEA or police to enforce and receive the fines, cause it's public legislation that gives the authority to enforce and impose the fines. Since SMRT and SBS have been privatised, where does the authority to enforce and power to fine come from?

That said, was from a legal viewpoint. From a personal viewpoint, I'm against eating or drinking or smoking on public transport vehicles. Though, I think sucking on a sweet or lozenge doesn't constitute eating. If throwing of wrappers is involved, then that's littering and covered by another legislation altogether.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'd like to know exactly how the fines are administered, enforced and where does the fine money goes to? The MRT trains are run by SMRT and SBS, both public listed corporations, not statutory boards. Where do they get the authority to impose and enforce fines? And if paid, where does the money go to?

We all know that if we go into a restaurant or cinema or building and smoke, though if the establishment is privately owned, the management calls NEA or police to enforce and receive the fines, cause it's public legislation that gives the authority to enforce and impose the fines. Since SMRT and SBS have been privatised, where does the authority to enforce and power to fine come from?

That said, was from a legal viewpoint. From a personal viewpoint, I'm against eating or drinking or smoking on public transport vehicles. Though, I think sucking on a sweet or lozenge doesn't constitute eating. If throwing of wrappers is involved, then that's littering and covered by another legislation altogether.

Well said! However I respectfully disagree that sucking on a sweet or lozenge doesn't constitute eating. It is still considered eating. One doesn't just suck on the sweet and leave it at that. After sucking, we eat/drink the sweetness.
:biggrin:

liketogossip

Alfrescian
Loyal

Could it be the LTA :confused: