• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fair and Just Society : Han Hui Hui at Hong Lim

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="540" height="300" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vTHfa0h0WrA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those of you who did not go to Hong Lim or wasted your time shopping, you should listen to Han Hui Hui's experience.

PM Lee said he aims for a JUST and FAIR society. One element of JUST is JUSTICE.

For those of you unaware of what is going on, the high income inequality also has an effect on JUSTICE. A few of my neighbors running small businesses or stalls get into dispute with big landlords, the way things are handled is for them to hire a big law firm to threaten the small guy....because poor people cannot afford expensive lawyers
they very often have to give way rather than fight and incur huge legal expenses. In other words, JUSTICE favors those with more money, a rich person whether caught for drunk driving or involved in wrong doing can hire the best lawyer queen counsel - example is Ng Boon Guy who paid, many believe, close to 500K to 1M to clear his name....a poor person with just go to jail simply because he has no money to fight. In other words money rules, and when you have income inequality at the level of Singapore....JUSTICE is compromised. To balance this there has to legal-aid and legal welfare available at a large scale for anyone without financial muscle to pursue a case.

For Tan Hui Hui's case, if not for a single human rights lawyer Ravi who was willing to take up her case, she would have been bankrupted or silenced by big organisations ....this is how one person can make a difference to another. But Ravi cannot handle the tens of thousands of cases of big organisations legally bully small guys.....hence more must be done to uphold our pledge : TO BUILD A DEMOCRATIC SOCIETY BASED ON JUSTICE AND EQUALITY.

JUSTICE is not so easily achieved in an unequal society....under a govt that has done too little and wait to late to understand...it is even harder.

Last edited:

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore was built on an Equal n Just Society

fooking Pinky now change it to Fair and Just Society

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
JUSTICE is not so easily achieved in an unequal society....under a govt that has done too little and wait to late to understand...it is even harder.

Congrats! You have succinctly summarised our justice system in just one sentence. No money no talk. Getting a lawyer to fight a case for you is not cheap. 2-5k per day in court. Does not include legal fees prior to court case. Likely to bleed you dry financially unless you are decently rich. Davinder went to court recently for an appeal case. Most SCs won't even want to take on such an ikan bilis case but I guess he was nudged into it coz a strong PAP supporter was involved - Ah THiam.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Congrats! You have succinctly summarised our justice system in just one sentence. No money no talk. Getting a lawyer to fight a case for you is not cheap. 2-5k per day in court. Does not include legal fees prior to court case. Likely to bleed you dry financially unless you are decently rich. Davinder went to court recently for an appeal case. Most SCs won't even want to take on such an ikan bilis case but I guess he was nudged into it coz a strong PAP supporter was involved - Ah THiam.

one day in court can be over $10000 depending on who yr lawyer is...

HK14K

Alfrescian
Loyal

You're right pal... in court no money no talk!!!

But for criminal cases that goes to High Court, if the defendant has no money, he/she can go to Lasco... My lawyer (not convenient to name) is one of those lawyers who fight for criminals cases in high court. They are not paid by the defendant but the govt...

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
one day in court can be over $10000 depending on who yr lawyer is...

That should be SC rate or someone about to be SC! 5k is usually the norm. Some lawyers will pau the case for a certain amount but later will ask for more. Never trust a lawyer.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You're right pal... in court no money no talk!!!

But for criminal cases that goes to High Court, if the defendant has no money, he/she can go to Lasco... My lawyer (not convenient to name) is one of those lawyers who fight for criminals cases in high court. They are not paid by the defendant but the govt...

That's true. I know two lawyers who are involved. State pays for their services. Some of these lawyers are genuinely keen to take your case while others will take these cases because they have no case to work on. Some will want a high profile case to boost their profile. Not sure about you but in my dealings with lawyers in the past when I was in the SPF, hard to find a lawyer who is honest!