• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex-PAP MPs and their hypocrisies

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Many netizens, including forummers here believed that people like Ong Teng Cheong, George Yeo, Tan Cheng Bock and to a lesser extent, Inderjit Singh are the conscience of the PAP and has the general masses’ well being at heart. This is far from the truth.

Many people hailed OTC as the people’s president, care for the people and dare to stood up against the PAP. His request for a list of our reserves was often cited as proof of him challenging the PAP. This assertion is laughable. OTC being the first elected president, has no precedence to follow. He requested for something he thought he has a right to know but, as a Chinese saying goes, kicked the iron plate (踢到鐵板). He backed-off and didn’t dare to pursue further.

He made a lot of noises at the end of his term as the PAP did not support his re-election. If he is gutsy enough, or really wanted to do something for the people, or strongly believed he has the right to know, he should have insisted on being given the information. He should have brought up the issue during his presidency and not after leaving office. He should have stand for re-election with or without PAP’s support. Alas, he chickened out and suffered the indignation following his demised.

GY has been a PAP minister for donkey years. He has never before utter any word for the people. Instead, he was famously remembered for his “no big no small” (沒大沒小) admonishment of Catherine Lim. He only tried to portrayed himself as the conscience of the PAP when he sensed his imminent defeat in Aljunied in GE2011.

As a former Minister for Trade & Industry, he has inside knowledge of every aspect of how our economic policies work. He choose instead to work for our fiercest rival despite still receiving state pension. I can only think of one work to describe him – traitor.

TCB has been a PAP MP for close to 30 years. Despite not being a office bearer, he was in the inner circle of PAP by virtue of his position in the CEC. He has also served as Chairman of various GPCs, TCs and CDCs. In other words, he is PA to the core.

Many admire him for being the only PAP MP ever to vote against party line with the whip was not lifted. But the vote, against the NMP scheme, was of no consequential to the ordinary people.

He was credited for arguing successfully for free parking on Sunday and using CPF to pay for university tuition fees and I thank him for that. But on the other hand, despite claiming he was not comfortable with the information at hand, he still supported the government’s handling of the Marxist conspiracy, an incident which wrecked the lives of many young impressionable social workers.

I also take issue with the series of actions he undertook leading up to PE2011 such as aligning himself with the opposition to gain opposition votes, resigned from the Jurong Hospital board over the naming rights of the hospital. I don’t remember him uttering a work when Yishun Hospital was named after KTP.

Finally, we come to IS. He has been a PAP lackey all the while and has benefited tremendously as a result. He became a very rich man following the listing of UTAC.

In the recent debate on the Population White Paper, he became the most ferocious critics, exceeding even the WP MPs. Many were under the misguided illusion that he will become TCB the second. How wrong this can be. He chooses not to vote and has no guts to say whether he was in the chamber. He didn't dare to stand up for what he “believed” and was roundly criticized for being a hypocrite.

He now claimed that those criticisms were unfair, that he couldn’t vote against the PWP as the party whip was not lifted. He forgot that there is such a thing called “resignation”. If he was sincere in what he said, shouldn’t he back it up with action. Hypocrisy, no?

There are a few other ex-PAP members who had suddenly found their conscious after being made redundant, but these 4 have being the most talked about, some admired while others despised. To me, they are all hypocrites.

I have more respect for those PAP loyal doggies. At least people like Ho Kah Leong, Chandra Das, Peh Chin Wah et al stays the course and support their masters till the end.

jw5

Loyal
I agree that TCB's vote against the NMP scheme was of little, if not of no consequence, to the ordinary people.
He was an elected MP himself, so not wanting unelected people to enter parliament might have also played a part in his vote.
It's also true that he was a PAP MP for more than 30 years and PAP to the core.

But there are so many stories and accounts of the ordinary people he has helped not only as a doctor, but also as a person.
I can't help but consider him as a good person who did his best to help ordinary folk, despite being aligned to PAP for years.

It's also a fact that the pap government have not always been like what they are now. In the early years, there was a core of gentlemen (the vast majority of whom have either died or retired) who despite their possible individual flaws as human beings, were collectively determined to create a better country for the ordinary citizens. Somehow, this got lost along the way. Perhaps that's what TCB sees.

The other chaps I haven't heard or read any accounts of them helping ordinary folk. There may be in reality, but I haven't heard or read them.

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many netizens, including forummers here believed that people like Ong Teng Cheong, George Yeo, Tan Cheng Bock and to a lesser extent, Inderjit Singh are the conscience of the PAP and has the general masses’ well being at heart. This is far from the truth.

Agree.

I guess it's human nature to hope that some among the Dark Forces have any conscience left, and they will somehow switch side at the critical moment to tilt the scale.

The White Scums have long see through this and have assigned a few to serve such purpose (emotional outlet?)

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
......But there are so many stories and accounts of the ordinary people he has helped not only as a doctor, but also as a person.
I can't help but consider him as a good person who did his best to help ordinary folk, despite being aligned to PAP for years.

Let's assume those stories and accounts are true.

Human nature is not all black or all white. But being a White Scum means he has benefited from the system and therefore will do everything he could to protect the system (while he is still plugged into the system).

Outside of the system, he may give $$ to a beggar, save a puppy from the middle of the road, help to flower his neighbor's plant.

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
my sentiments exactly.

I dont understand all this fawning over gy, the guy benefitted from the system and lived in it.
now he kena kicked out, pp see him like he some hero. too weird for me :confused:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only thing I cannot fathom is why many people think OTC was a good, decent person? This man was elitist to the core. He often expressed disdain and contempt for people who do not fit into his image of an efficient and organized Singapore. This only shows how truly dumb most Singaporeans are. Just because OTC gave one controversial interview to the now-defunct ASIAWEEK about not getting an account of Singapore's reserves he is described as "good" and "decent"? The moment GCT and LKY spoke out against him he simply backed off, and then he and his family suffered the indignity of him not being given a State funeral.

I have a far better impression of TCB, not least having had personal experience of him and his humanity. However, of late, age has caught up with him and he should simply fade away gracefully.

I agree with the TS about the other 2 -- GY and IS. Both are over-estimated and over-rated by many.