• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Esplanade Durian -- Worth it?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
$600m construction cost, total bill with land cost added in is over $1Billion.

Accumulated deficits financed by Government coffers over $100m by now. Took $68m to maintain the place each year. Worth the price tag when there is no comprehensive welfare for our aged, unemployed and disabled?

Goh Meng Seng

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
why they neber upgrade this, part of our national heritage? or could design a newer and bigger version base on this? i donno, maybe a general has no appreciation for good building designs?

p9647-Singapore-National_Theatre.jpg

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Accumulated deficits financed by Government coffers over $100m by now. Took $68m to maintain the place each year. Worth the price tag when there is no comprehensive welfare for our aged, unemployed and disabled?

Goh Meng Seng

no one in china said the bird nest not worth it.
why cant sinkies be just a little proud of our buildings.

aged , unemployed and disabled are a black hole that suck in money infinitely, just because of these, we stop building, we stop moving forward?
that is so peasant thinking. please leave such decision to higher attorney.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
why they neber upgrade this, part of our national heritage? or could design a newer and bigger version base on this? i donno, maybe a general has no appreciation for good building designs?

p9647-Singapore-National_Theatre.jpg

Nice photo of the demolished National Theatre you have here. Most youngsters who are born after 1980s won't even know what that is. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is what the west calls the "middle-class ripoff", i.e. using taxpayers' funds to subsidize the rich instead of the poor. Who are those interested in artsy events like operas or musicals or arts exhibition? Certainly not the poor who's worrying where their next dollar to pay bill or their next meal is going to come from. The middle and upper middle classes who want it should pay for it, not the government.

Another example of the "middle-class ripoff" is TV license fee. A poor family with a small sad 14" TV and watches 1 or 2 channels only pays S$110 per year. A rich family with 3 or 4 or even more and bigger TVs in their big house also pays S$110 per year. Furthermore, the fees collected are used to purchase or produce artsy feature films and documentaries which the poor don't watch, or don't know how to watch.

jw5

Loyal

Goh Meng Seng
You make many good points, but your audience here is very limited, and most of them already dislike the pap's policies, probably even more than you do.
The way to go is to try and get into parliament and make your points on a larger stage. And you get parliamentary priviledge, just in case you say the wrong thing.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Music is the food to our souls....like the Gospel, which nourishes our spirits....ain't this the most pretty design in Singapore? Is this design safe to support ten's of thousands of people?

10967_singapore%20ccc3main.JPG

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
have you been there? i was too young to go there.
well, it is ancient history.
anyway i never went to esplande, i dun like those arty farty stuff.
i watch movie and blu-ray.