• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Emily Yap Yong An wants PAP to pay property tax for seniors living in private properties

whistling

Stupidman
Loyal

Forum: Look into property tax burden for seniors living in private properties​

I share Prime Minister Lawrence Wong’s concern that addressing the rising cost of living and improving care for seniors is a critical issue, one that will only become more pressing as our population ages (Govt studying how to tackle cost-of-living concerns, take better care of seniors: PM Wong, Aug 23).

As a community volunteer, I often engage with seniors who express deep concerns about their growing financial burden. What was once a simple lunch at a hawker centre costing $2 has now surged to $6, a stark reminder of how inflation is eroding their financial stability. While initiatives like the CDC vouchers are appreciated, there is a growing sentiment that more substantial action is needed.

This strain is particularly severe for senior home owners of private properties. These homes are not investment properties, but homes that they have built and lived in their entire life. Yet, they now face annual property tax that has risen to thousands of dollars. Without a steady income, this burden is unsustainable and is causing significant hardship for many of our seniors.

I urge the Government to reconsider its property tax policies for senior home owners. It is crucial to ensure that our seniors can enjoy their golden years with dignity, free from the anxiety of financial strain.

Emily Yap Yong An
https://www.straitstimes.com/opinio...rden-for-seniors-living-in-private-properties

whistling

Stupidman
Loyal
Emily Yap: Nurse in Singapore Founded Dunearn Youth to Serve the Elderly and Vulnerable Families
everydaypeople.sg
emily-yap-01.jpg
The 24-year-old Singaporean nurse at Alexandra Hospital talks about her ground-up initiative that reflects her compassion for those in need of a leg up.
“My grandmother worked as a nurse her whole life. She’s the kindest and most caring person I know. Growing up, she would always tell me, ‘If somebody needs help and I can provide that help, I will.’ I’ve always wanted to be just like her.
Today, I am a Senior Staff Nurse at Alexandra Hospital. My clinical experience includes palliative care, geriatric care, general medicine and community nursing. But beyond nursing, my grandmother also inspired me to volunteer and give back to the community.
emily-yap-02.jpg
I found my passion for helping others at the height of the pandemic in 2020. This was a time when the risk assessment was raised to DORSCON Orange, and many Singaporeans rushed to the supermarkets and emptied the shelves.
As I worried for the safety of my grandmother – who would go marketing amidst the crowds and long queues – I couldn’t help but wonder how needy families secured their groceries; how they might be even worse off.
emily-yap-03.jpg
That’s when I started Dunearn Youth. I founded this ground-up initiative because I cared for the vulnerable in the community. I wanted to help the elderly and needy families, and I wanted them to know that they were not alone.
Feeling like I had to do something, I applied for the Young Changemakers Grant by the National Youth Council. With the funding, I gathered a few friends and started delivering groceries to the elderly and lower-income families.
Emily-carepacks-3.jpg
The warmth I felt in my heart upon seeing how happy they were to receive their groceries was honestly amazing. That inspired me to continue doing more charity work, even while I was still an undergraduate pursuing a degree in nursing.
I subsequently applied for the Oscar Fund by the Temasek Foundation. With the funding, Dunearn Youth delivered grocery care packs to many more needy beneficiaries. It was very fulfilling, fostering an environment of care in our community.
emily-yap-04.jpg
I believe that if you do something with your whole heart, opportunities will naturally come your way. For example, during my community outreach programmes, I saw that many of the elderly were not digitally engaged. I wanted to promote digital literacy and readiness to them.
This was the catalyst to launch Bukit Timah Digital. In partnership with IMDA, Digital for Life and People’s Association, we conducted training sessions to help seniors navigate daily-use mobile apps. We also did cybersecurity tutorials to protect them from online scams.
Emily-with-elderly-2.jpg
Deputy Prime Minister Lawrence Wong actually commended Dunearn Youth in his 2023 Budget Speech. I was truly humbled by his words, and I continue to be grateful to have a great team behind me and many organisations and mentors who support our cause.
He said, ‘This is what the Singapore spirit is about. We have seen it in action, and experienced it in abundance over the last three years – how we are responsible for one another, keep an eye out for our fellow citizens, and always band together as a team.
emily-yap-06.jpg
However, some people have commented that I am very young, and that I am not a rich person donating millions to charity, so why even bother? To which, I can only quote Winston Church: ‘I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.’
I believe anyone can be a changemaker. We can each play a part in citizen philanthropy and help the vulnerable in our community. Do all the good you can, because even the smallest act of kindness may mean the world to someone else.
emily-yap-05.jpg
I share my story today to inspire others, and to hopefully garner awareness of our cause and those whom we serve. As the wise saying goes: ‘As long as you have a kind heart with love, you will give a thousand hands out to help others. Vice versa, there will be a thousand hands to help you.’“ – Emily Yap, 24

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Emily Yap: Nurse in Singapore Founded Dunearn Youth to Serve the Elderly and Vulnerable Families
everydaypeople.sg
emily-yap-01.jpg
The 24-year-old Singaporean nurse at Alexandra Hospital talks about her ground-up initiative that reflects her compassion for those in need of a leg up.
“My grandmother worked as a nurse her whole life. She’s the kindest and most caring person I know. Growing up, she would always tell me, ‘If somebody needs help and I can provide that help, I will.’ I’ve always wanted to be just like her.
Today, I am a Senior Staff Nurse at Alexandra Hospital. My clinical experience includes palliative care, geriatric care, general medicine and community nursing. But beyond nursing, my grandmother also inspired me to volunteer and give back to the community.
emily-yap-02.jpg
I found my passion for helping others at the height of the pandemic in 2020. This was a time when the risk assessment was raised to DORSCON Orange, and many Singaporeans rushed to the supermarkets and emptied the shelves.
As I worried for the safety of my grandmother – who would go marketing amidst the crowds and long queues – I couldn’t help but wonder how needy families secured their groceries; how they might be even worse off.
emily-yap-03.jpg
That’s when I started Dunearn Youth. I founded this ground-up initiative because I cared for the vulnerable in the community. I wanted to help the elderly and needy families, and I wanted them to know that they were not alone.
Feeling like I had to do something, I applied for the Young Changemakers Grant by the National Youth Council. With the funding, I gathered a few friends and started delivering groceries to the elderly and lower-income families.
Emily-carepacks-3.jpg
The warmth I felt in my heart upon seeing how happy they were to receive their groceries was honestly amazing. That inspired me to continue doing more charity work, even while I was still an undergraduate pursuing a degree in nursing.
I subsequently applied for the Oscar Fund by the Temasek Foundation. With the funding, Dunearn Youth delivered grocery care packs to many more needy beneficiaries. It was very fulfilling, fostering an environment of care in our community.
emily-yap-04.jpg
I believe that if you do something with your whole heart, opportunities will naturally come your way. For example, during my community outreach programmes, I saw that many of the elderly were not digitally engaged. I wanted to promote digital literacy and readiness to them.
This was the catalyst to launch Bukit Timah Digital. In partnership with IMDA, Digital for Life and People’s Association, we conducted training sessions to help seniors navigate daily-use mobile apps. We also did cybersecurity tutorials to protect them from online scams.
Emily-with-elderly-2.jpg
Deputy Prime Minister Lawrence Wong actually commended Dunearn Youth in his 2023 Budget Speech. I was truly humbled by his words, and I continue to be grateful to have a great team behind me and many organisations and mentors who support our cause.
He said, ‘This is what the Singapore spirit is about. We have seen it in action, and experienced it in abundance over the last three years – how we are responsible for one another, keep an eye out for our fellow citizens, and always band together as a team.
emily-yap-06.jpg
However, some people have commented that I am very young, and that I am not a rich person donating millions to charity, so why even bother? To which, I can only quote Winston Church: ‘I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.’
I believe anyone can be a changemaker. We can each play a part in citizen philanthropy and help the vulnerable in our community. Do all the good you can, because even the smallest act of kindness may mean the world to someone else.
emily-yap-05.jpg
I share my story today to inspire others, and to hopefully garner awareness of our cause and those whom we serve. As the wise saying goes: ‘As long as you have a kind heart with love, you will give a thousand hands out to help others. Vice versa, there will be a thousand hands to help you.’“ – Emily Yap, 24

Oppies should volunteer in the grassroots like SYT Emily.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Live in private property but ask government to pay their property tax? So buy Mercedes can also ask government to pay their road tax?

I leased from HDB I pay HDB property tax. I take public transport pay higher fare than seniors but I must give up my seat to them.

It's one thing to display your compassion for seniors but it must not be done at the expense of equality leh.

whistling

Stupidman
Loyal
Live in private property but ask government to pay their property tax? So buy Mercedes can also ask government to pay their road tax?

I leased from HDB I pay HDB property tax. I take public transport pay higher fare than seniors but I must give up my seat to them.

It's one thing to display your compassion for seniors but it must not be done at the expense of equality leh.
can afford to stay private but cannot afford to pay property tax....

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes is about time to do something for private property owners. Low ses coolie gene Sinkies do not pay any income tax but reap the benefits for too long.