• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Electoral Reforms in Singapore

hypocrite999

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Frens,

There has been many comments on electoral reforms for Singapore and these are my 2 cents worth of comments. Please offer your comments to improve on this thread.

Before I start, my view is I do not support a proportional representation system as referred to in Western Countries or like the Israeli system. It’s a direct system where u get 5% of the vote you get 5% of the seats. Such a system is extremely divisive, gives too much influence to small minor parties.

Frankly I do not like the so called Westminister system of Government, whereby the leaders of the country are not voted directly by the People. For example in Britain, the PM is not voted by the people only the party is. However to change this system for Singapore is too long and tedious at this stage. So to keep it simple, these are my comments.

1) GRCs are to be abolish and all seats are Single seats. MPs win by their own merit, no coat tail hangers etc

2) If any seat is vacated by the MP during the term of government, By elections are to be held by law within 1 month.

3) 4 year fixed term governments. The current 5 year term is just too long, and gives too much control to the ruling party. Imagine that the next election is due by 2012 and yet everyone is speculating that the election will be held this year etc. Fixed term election dates creates certainty for the country and its people.

4) The PAP always prides itself for offering certainty for Singapore etc, so how can the current system provide certainty at all? This is a PAP flaw, I do not think that they have a logical answer to this plan of fixed term governments

5) Presidential election must be contested by an Opposition candidate. I feel that its easier for the Opposition to win the Presidential election than for a General election as there is tremendous amount of gerrymandering by the PAP when elections are held in its current form.

6) With the presidential election the whole country votes, so its strictly a peoples affair where everyone votes. So gerrymandering is no longer a component for PAP to win this race. I hope Mr Tan KL contest this as he has many supporters and he is eligible under the strict criteria for a presidential candidate.

7) Winning the Presidential election will give the opposition an oversight into the government and the president will get more media time and exposure hence giving the opposition more lime light. It will also limit the PAPs hold on government.

Any additional comments?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why are you proposing reforms for a system which is pretty much perfect?:confused::confused:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Before I start, my view is I do not support a proportional representation system as referred to in Western Countries or like the Israeli system. It’s a direct system where u get 5% of the vote you get 5% of the seats. Such a system is extremely divisive, gives too much influence to small minor parties.

Frankly I do not like the so called Westminister system of Government, whereby the leaders of the country are not voted directly by the People. For example in Britain, the PM is not voted by the people only the party is. However to change this system for Singapore is too long and tedious at this stage. So to keep it simple, these are my comments.

The British know David Cameron will be Tories PM or Gordon Brown Labour PM if either parties won the elections. We know LHL is PAP PM if PAP is the govt. The potential PM is always fighting the elections for the party. So indirectly you are voting for your PM too. If you don't want LHL to be your PM, if that's the most important thing to you when choosing whom to support, then don't vote for PAP.

A Presidential system - you vote directly for your leader and deputy.
But you have a cabinet of unelected ministers who have no mandate from the peasants.

generally, it's best to have a mix of First Past The Post and Proportional Representation in parliamentary elections.
Supplementary Member system ( used in Japan/ROC )

For Singapore, I would have
70% of seats by FPTP ( GRC / SMC )
30% of seats by PR ( 2nd party vote ) where 3% of nationwide votes entitles you to share the seats.
Reserved MP seats for minorities to be decided by plurality list.