• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Drug trafficker's mum yet to know of death sentence

Y

Yuan Shao

Wednesday August 18, 2010

Vui Kong’s mum yet to know of death sentence

PUTRAJAYA: The mother of Yong Vui Kong (pic) has yet to know that he has been sentenced to death for trafficking drugs in Singapore. Family members have withheld the information from Liaw Yueng Kuan, 55, as they are worried about her health. The mother of seven is said to be suffering from depression and the family fears that her condition will deteriorate if she knows of her son’s predicament.
<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9uB64Umqp7I?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

Even Vui Kong did not mention the death sentence when she visited him in Changi Prison in December last year.

n_02vuikong.jpg

Liaw and two of her daughters – Yuk Ying, 32, and Vui Fung, 20 – called on Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman at Wisma Putra yesterday to hear for themselves efforts that the Govern_ment had taken to help Vui Kong. Anifah said the family had decided not to tell Liaw about the matter to spare her from further anguish.

“I have informed the family that the Government had submitted a letter appealing for clemency. “This is the best that we can do to help save Yong from the gallows and we hope our appeal will be taken into consideration,” he told reporters after meeting Vui Kong’s family yesterday.

Vui Kong, 22, was convicted on Jan 7 last year for trafficking in 47gm of diamorphine, a capital offence under Singapore’s Misuse of Drugs Act. Yong was arrested on June 13, 2007 at the age of 18. This the first time Malaysia is appealing for clemency on behalf of its citizen the facing death sentence in Singapore.

Anifah said the letter appealing for clemency was personally handed to Singapore’s Foreign Minister George Yeo when the two met in Hanoi for the Asean Ministerial Meeting last month. “We respect one another. Appealing for clemency is provided under the Constitution of both countries and we feel that this should be done for Vui Kong,” he said.

Y

Yuan Shao

Conman targets family of youth on death row

SANDAKAN: As if they did not have enough worries, the family of Yong Vui Kong, who is facing the gallows in Singapore, has become the target of swindlers. A man who identified himself as a senior Wisma Putra officer contacted Vui Kong’s father, Yong Kwong Keong via SMS on Friday, claiming that he could arrange for Vui Kong’s release provided he was paid RM8,000.

Suspecting something amiss, Kwong Keong sought help from Sandakan Chinese Chamber of Commerce secretary-general Stephen Wong Tien Fatt who contacted the Foreign Ministry and was told that there was no such person working in Wisma Putra. Wong then lodged a police report. Twenty-two-year old Vui Kong was senten_ced to death by the Singapore High Court last year after being convicted of drug trafficking.

A campaign has since being launched to collect 100,000 signatures nationwide to plead for clemency from the Singapore president. In a related development, a former drug trafficker and MPs and senators from both side of the political divide have joined the efforts to save Vui Kong from the gallows. They are among 20,531 people who signed the online petition “Give Yong Vui Kong a Second Chance to Help Singa__pore’s Anti-Drug Trafficking Policy” campaign.

A total of 38 MPs and 13 senators have signed the petition. Ex-convict Chang Zhang, 49, who escaped the death sentence and was jailed 15 years instead, appealed to the president of Singapore, S. R. Nathan, to give the young Sabahan a second chance as he was very young. The last day for Yong to file his petition for clemency is Aug 26, after which he can be hanged at any time. The online petition is also racing against time to collect as many signatures as possible by Aug 22.

saf_ranger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Conman targets family of youth on death row

SANDAKAN: As if they did not have enough worries, the family of Yong Vui Kong, who is facing the gallows in Singapore, has become the target of swindlers. A man who identified himself as a senior Wisma Putra officer contacted Vui Kong’s father, Yong Kwong Keong via SMS on Friday, claiming that he could arrange for Vui Kong’s release provided he was paid RM8,000.

Suspecting something amiss, Kwong Keong sought help from Sandakan Chinese Chamber of Commerce secretary-general Stephen Wong Tien Fatt who contacted the Foreign Ministry and was told that there was no such person working in Wisma Putra. Wong then lodged a police report. Twenty-two-year old Vui Kong was senten_ced to death by the Singapore High Court last year after being convicted of drug trafficking.

A campaign has since being launched to collect 100,000 signatures nationwide to plead for clemency from the Singapore president. In a related development, a former drug trafficker and MPs and senators from both side of the political divide have joined the efforts to save Vui Kong from the gallows. They are among 20,531 people who signed the online petition “Give Yong Vui Kong a Second Chance to Help Singa__pore’s Anti-Drug Trafficking Policy” campaign.

A total of 38 MPs and 13 senators have signed the petition. Ex-convict Chang Zhang, 49, who escaped the death sentence and was jailed 15 years instead, appealed to the president of Singapore, S. R. Nathan, to give the young Sabahan a second chance as he was very young. The last day for Yong to file his petition for clemency is Aug 26, after which he can be hanged at any time. The online petition is also racing against time to collect as many signatures as possible by Aug 22.

fuck lar... just hang him,waste of time,he should know that carry drug into singapore is a death sentence and yet he want to do it, if our GOV let him off ,then infuture more drug will me comming in...

wast of time and our tax payer money

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Conman targets family of youth on death row

Drugs bring social problems. Because of the addiction for the kick, many can resort to crimes for more money to buy drugs. I have to agree with PAP strict stance on drugs, drugs are a menace to society. Keep the status quo of death penalty.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i totally agreed. He brought drugs into singapore, thats it. Its the same thing in Mudland...death penalty.

Mudland still have the cheek to appeal? Come on, if i have the choice, its death for 0.1g.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
How many of you believe that the mother of Yong VK is not aware ? Is she somehow under the impression that the son is working for DHL in Singapore ? Or does she at least know that the son is imprisoned for peddling drugs ? If she knows that the son is imprisoned, she may have already asked to meet the son at Changi Prison at least once a month.

What exactly is the point of saying they're keeping the news from the mother ? Is that a basis for clemency ? Or just to make our laws look heartless ?

The parents should feel sad not because the son would be hanged, but for the way they brought up the son. Confucius will agree. 生不养父之过,养不教母之过 。

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You go DRC and see the inmates. Hundreds of them arrested for hundreds of grams of grams. Nobody sent them to the Changi gallows to hang. They're sent to DRC to rehahibilate and kick the habit. Only a few of them are charged for trafficking (liable to death penalty if verdict guilty), but they're so charged because they possess drugs to sell others. I agree it's a bit harsh, death penalty, but law is law.

Malaysia and Thailand have death penalties for drug traffickers too.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
You go DRC and see the inmates. Hundreds of them arrested for hundreds of grams of grams. Nobody sent them to the Changi gallows to hang. They're sent to DRC to rehahibilate and kick the habit. Only a few of them are charged for trafficking (liable to death penalty if verdict guilty), but they're so charged because they possess drugs to sell others. I agree it's a bit harsh, death penalty, but law is law.

Malaysia and Thailand have death penalties for drug traffickers too.

So the moral of the story is if you want to get involved in drug trafficking but are afraid of death sentence, become a drug addict first.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So the moral of the story is if you want to get involved in drug trafficking but are afraid of death sentence, become a drug addict first.

You're just spiking me for spiking sake, that I understand. The moral is course, don't take drugs and don't traffick drugs. The point is contention is still, is death penalty too harsh for trafficking drugs?

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're just spiking me for spiking sake, that I understand. The moral is course, don't take drugs and don't traffick drugs. The point is contention is still, is death penalty too harsh for trafficking drugs?
Not harsh at all. They deserve it.

If the law is too lenient on drugs, we can see a spike in drug-related crimes.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal

No, I'm not spiking you. You're over estimating what I see in you.

I'm saying it to potential drug traffickers that if it's true that drug addicts will not receive the death sentence even if they're caught, then they should learn to be smart and exploit the loophole.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm saying it to potential drug traffickers that if it's true that drug addicts will not receive the death sentence even if they're caught, then they should learn to be smart and exploit the loophole.

Drug addicts and drug traffickers are two differents things, though some may concurrently both. Do all cigarette sellers smoke? Do all beer sellers drink? But you're right, co-operate with police when caught may get you a lower charge and save your life under such laws.