• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do you know that the inventor for Thumbdrive is a Singaporean?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
TREK 2000 PCT Patent Application PCT/SG00/00029, filed on Feb 21, 2000
Title of Patent: A Portable Data Storage Device
Inventor: CHENG, Chong, Seng
Main Patent Claim:
1. A portable data storage device comprising a coupling device for coupling to a computer serial bus, an interface device coupled to the coupling device, a memory control device and a non-volatile solid-state memory device; the 5 memory control device being coupled between the interface device and the memory device to control the flow of data from the memory device to the coupling device.

I see a Cheng, Chong, Seng, but no Henn Tan. O-Level can design and invent memory device? Please lor, it is the engineer(s) not the boss ok?

PROFILER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trek2000 has a version of thumbdrive that takes away the bulky cover and slot into the usb nicely.

I like it.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
You Have Got A Good Case Here

Fact 2: M-SYSTEMS invented the 1st USB Flash drive (aka Thumbdrive, aka USB drive) before Trek 2000. Evidence as shown

Title of Patent: Architecture for a universal serial bus-based PC flash disk
Inventors: Amir Ban, Dov Moran, Oron Ogdan
Main Patent Claim:
1. A USB flash memory device for connecting to a USB-defined bus, the flash memory device comprising:
(a) at least one flash memory module for storing data;

Inventor: CHENG, Chong, Seng (not Henn)

M-Systems Ltd., (sometimes spelled msystems[1]) was a Nasdaq-listed Israeli producer of Flash memory storage products founded in 1989 by Dov Moran and based in Kfar Sava, Israel. They were best known for developing and patenting the first flash drive, marketed in 1995 as DiskOnChip, and the first USB flash drive, marketed in 1999 as DiskOnKey. They also created the patented True Flash Filing System (TrueFFS) which presented the flash memory as a disk drive to the computer.[2] After 17 years of business, they were acquired by their prior competitor, SanDisk, in 2006.[1] The DiskOnChip was developed at the R&D Center established by M-Systems called EUROM. Rick Iorillo, Rony Levy and David Deitcher were the individuals that worked on the development and marketing of the first 2MB DOC. This product went on to receive the Most Innovative Award from EDN in 1995 and later went on to become the Flash Drive and DiskOnKey.

When Trek introduced the ThumbDrive®USB flash drive in 2000, it changed the way people though about digital storage. The ThumbDrive® was a game changer, and for the newest generation of consumers, life before the ThumbDrive® may be unimaginable. Before the invention of the ThumbDrive® most consumers relied on the 1.4 MB floppy disk drive, which was very slow and offered limited storage space. Nearly ten years have passed since then and Trek’s ThumbDrive® continues to set the standard for portable data storage.

The lastest versions of the ThumbDrive® offer users a variety of functions other than storage and have been updated with state of the art security features that protect all data stored on the device.

So, who is the real inventor now. Could it be Israel ?

Trek 2000 International Limited is a Singaporean technology company that is listed on the Singapore Exchange (SGX:TREK). The company is the inventor of the ubiquitous ThumbDrive[1], a Universal Serial Bus (USB) data storage device, which revolutionised the way digital data is being stored and transferred. The company owns a library of more than 600 patents, with 360 granted patents. As of December 2011, the company’s annual revenue amounted to US $86.1 million[2].

Black Swan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fact 1: Trek 2000 owns the trademark THUMBDRIVE

Fact 2: M-SYSTEMS invented the 1st USB Flash drive (aka Thumbdrive, aka USB drive) before Trek 2000. Evidence as shown

M-SYSTEMS's US Patent 6,148,354, filed on Apr 5, 1999
Title of Patent: Architecture for a universal serial bus-based PC flash disk
Inventors: Amir Ban, Dov Moran, Oron Ogdan
Main Patent Claim:
1. A USB flash memory device for connecting to a USB-defined bus, the flash memory device comprising:
(a) at least one flash memory module for storing data;
(b) a USB connector for connecting to the USB-defined bus and for sending packets on, and for receiving packets from, the USB-defined bus;
(c) a USB controller for controlling said at least one flash memory module and for controlling said USB connector according to at least one packet received from the USB-defined bus, such that data is written to and read from said at least one flash memory module;
(d) an electrical interface for connecting to said USB connector and for receiving said packets from said USB connector as a plurality of electrical signals;
(e) a logical interface for connecting to said electrical interface and for translating said plurality of electrical signals to logic signals, said logic signals being passed to said at least one flash memory module;
(f) a functional interface for receiving said logic signals such that if said logic signals represent a USB functional packet, said functional interface sends a USB command to said USB controller according to said USB functional packet;
(g) an application packet extractor for connecting to said logical interface and for receiving said logic signals, said application packet extractor extracting at least one packet from said logic signals; and
(h) an application command interpreter for receiving said at least one packet and for determining a command according to said at least one packet, said command 10
being passed to said USB controller.

TREK 2000 PCT Patent Application PCT/SG00/00029, filed on Feb 21, 2000
Inventor: CHENG, Chong, Seng (not Henn)
Main Patent Claim:
1. A portable data storage device comprising a coupling device for coupling to a computer serial bus, an interface device coupled to the coupling device, a memory control device and a non-volatile solid-state memory device; the 5 memory control device being coupled between the interface device and the memory device to control the flow of data from the memory device to the coupling device.

Just to be sure, while Henn is the CEO of Trek 2000, he is not the inventor of the Trek's thumbdrive.
Thumbdrive_not_Henn.png

You are absolutely correct. Thanks for getting the facts right and setting the record straight. Upped your points!

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't Call It A Thumbdrive

You are absolutely correct. Thanks for getting the facts right and setting the record straight. Upped your points!

But, you have a problem here ... "Thumbdrive" is a trademark of Trek. So, one cannot be calling this pocket flash memory key as thumbdrive. :eek:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Cruxx Is Vindicated

So, it was Cruxx that Vomjak was ranting about. I see. :biggrin:

At least, he is vindicated now. :p
Hehehe. Actually who invent or patent not important. Most important is who make the most money out of the technology.

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Don't Call It A Thumbdrive

k i am wrong. ZAP ME!

I think you were not entirely wrong, you were suspicious based on the lax evidence presented. Moreover, the earlier wikipedia entry on thumbdrive was also erroneous, Cruxx or whoever might have just cut and paste from a less than reputable source.

Take it easy.

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even the journalist also made the same mistake, thinking that Henn Tan is the inventor of the thumbdrive... misplaced credits.

ThumbDrive inventor out to prove he is no one-hit wonder
Posted: 14 December 2010 1200 hrs

SINGAPORE: Henn Tan could have ruled the global market in what became the ubiquitous USB flash drive that helped consign the floppy disk to the dustbin of technological history.

But his grip on the ThumbDrive slipped and the market was flooded with a myriad of brands for the handy memory device which could be small enough to dangle on a key ring.

Now the Singaporean entrepreneur hopes to prove he was no one-hit wonder.

Tan, who holds the patent for the compact data storage device in over 30 markets and the global trademark for the ThumbDrive brand, now has a firmer hold on another invention with a rather unusual name.

The FluCard -- a postage stamp-size storage device that can also transmit data wirelessly -- is Tan's new baby, and he hopes to see it used by millions of people; just like the USB drive.

Tan said many thought the ThumbDrive -- which has become a generic name for memory devices that plug into computer USB slots -- was a one-hit wonder.

"I told them no, but many refused to believe me," the 54-year-old told AFP.

"We are more than just about ThumbDrives and the power of this FluCard is going to be immense," insisted the chairman and chief executive of Trek 2000 International, which is listed on the Singapore Exchange.

Tan laments that he made a mistake with the ThumbDrive by going it alone instead of partnering with an established player in 2000, an admittedly "naive" move that allowed rivals to get big slices of the USB-based data storage pie.

This time around, he has teamed up with Japan's Toshiba Corp to promote the FluCard and ensure its patent is protected globally.

Why the name?

"It's contagious and easy to recall," says Tan, a marketing man who employs technical experts to flesh out his ideas.

"You go to Afghanistan, you say flu, and they understand."

Marc Einstein, regional manager at technology consultancy Frost and Sullivan, said the FluCard is a sign of the convergence underway in consumer electronics and computer technology.

"I do think that this is where the future lies for technologies and consumer devices," he said, adding that securing Toshiba's support "is a good first step" for the Singapore firm.

Tan said his company and Toshiba, now the second largest shareholder in Trek 2000 International after him, formed a consortium of camera makers to adopt the FluCard as the industry standard.

Terence Wong, co-head of research at Singapore brokerage DMG and Partners, sees good commercial prospects for the FluCard and also feels partnering Toshiba is a right move for Tan.

"This FluCard can potentially kill off the dummy SD card if they get it right," Wong told AFP.

Shaped exactly like the Secure Digital (SD) memory cards now used widely in compact digital cameras, the FluCard comes embedded with WiFi to transmit data to other wireless-enabled devices such as mobile phones, laptops and tablet computers.

"It can do more than what an ordinary dumb, dumb SD card can do which is just to store data," Tan said.

"As long as you have a hardware embedded with WiFi, you can download anything from the FluCard."

Launched earlier this year, the FluCard works in any device that has an SD slot and the camera market is the most obvious target for Tan.

SD cards are predominantly used in compact digital cameras, 100 million of which were sold in 2009 alone, according to industry estimates.

Using a FluCard in the digital camera the user has the option of uploading new photos directly to the Internet for sharing with friends on Facebook and other social networks.

It also functions as a data storage back-up since the content inside the FluCard can be instantly transferred to a private user account on a portal set up by Trek 2000 International.

Tan's idea for the FluCard came about after a holiday with his family in China five years ago was ruined when they lost their camera.

"You can't be going back to the places to retake the photos, and I felt lousy there wasn't any data backup," said Tan.

"The power of this FluCard is going to be immense if I get it right," he said, adding it could catapult his company from a fringe player into the major leagues of the data storage industry with Toshiba's support.

Tan's anguish was clear as he recalled how his company lost out to the "big boys" of data storage who came out with their own USB-based devices -- and to pirates who simply made ThumbDrive knockoffs.

"Right now we are still generating income (from royalties) but not much," said Tan.

"Size counts, and I learnt my lesson real hard."

In retrospect, Tan said it would have been better if he had partnered one of the big brands when the ThumbDrive was launched in March 2000, but his eagerness got the better of him at the time.

"I was naive, I was gullible and I decided to take this product all alone, believing that we can do it."

"Now I have Toshiba, I am riding on the coat-tails of Toshiba."

-AFP/ac

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/technologynews/view/1099075/1/.html

OppaGANGNAMStyle

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Size counts, and I learnt my lesson real hard."

What a waste. And he did not even consider if EDB is able to help budding entrepreneurs like him.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is a well known case and the it is only recognised in Singapore and therefore they have not been able to collect royalty. The royalty interestingly is collected by an IBM linked company that bought it from the Israeli's. Trek attempt to do it has been knocked by the UK courts and they stopped chasing the dream. If you notice the Singapore Govt which typically brags about Singapore patents has been silent about this case.

T

They have an International Patent office right? or a British one or U.S. one...why didn't they file with any of those? unless they were making copy of some technology that has already existed then, improved upon it & dare not make a claim...until the product had a mass market??

HARDAttack

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have an International Patent office right? or a British one or U.S. one...why didn't they file with any of those? unless they were making copy of some technology that has already existed then, improved upon it & dare not make a claim...until the product had a mass market??

It's not cheap to register for an international patent.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not cheap to register for an international patent.

Surely, with the royalties they are 'going to get' they can apply for at least one of the patents? from UK, EU or USA? unless like I had say..."they didn't actually invent it". maybe some minute company whom they discovered & improved upon it!

canloh

Alfrescian
Loyal
why I read on some chew hu websites, got mudlandsian said chew hu nangs are the ones who invented the thumbdrive?