• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do you know that the inventor for Thumbdrive is a Singaporean?

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
134222_447948315241155_571170035_o.jpg

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is one idiot here that argue with me on this say its an isreali company patent when i bring this up as one of the singapore product that has an impact on the world. that idiot obviously just looked up wiki without knowing the full story.

Rambutan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The thumbdrive is such a wonderful thing. Kudos to him and his team.

Is he able to monetise his patent? It would be sad if he could not. At least he and his team are deservingly reward for the nice invention the brought to this world.

Any means of collecting back payment? If so, then there will be more incentives for folks to aspire to be an inventor.

Psycho

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes not many knows that and don't always think Singapore no talent hor.:smile:

Last edited:

Wildfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the storage industry, Hann Tan is known as a "one product wonder". A rather arrogant person, he failed badly to adequately protect and enforce the
thumbdrive patent which led to a decade long patent ligation against major manufacturers of the device.

Note to Vamjok:- The one idiot you mentioned above was right in his claim that an Israeli company M-Systems first developed and patented the thumbdrive.
However, due to some technicalities, they were denied the patent. Competing claims were made by a Singapore's Trek Technology and a Chinese company
Netac Technology, but based on patents that post-date M-Systems. Both Trek Technology and Netac Technology have tried to protect their patent claims.
Trek Technology ultimately won the patent claims in a Singapore's court.

Last edited:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
aiyah! knew it long time ago. i think this guy appeared on tv long time ago on this and mentioned about having a hard time getting patented in different region. then many manufacturers already selling product with this flashdrive technology and after getting patented gotta start court battles with those big companies. i think they didnt get much out of it.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
aiyah! knew it long time ago. i think this guy appeared on tv long time ago on this and mentioned about having a hard time getting patented in different region. then many manufacturers already selling product with this flashdrive technology and after getting patented gotta start court battles with those big companies. i think they didnt get much out of it.
if this guy did this in silicon valley, think now sentosa cove a few unit also no problem.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1st time heard of it was @ sim lim sq ... went there 2 buy storage device ... salesman told me it was made in sinkielan ... oso told me their offis was upstairs oni ... din believed him ... :eek:

dat was in 2003 ...

kiss

Alfrescian
Loyal
i remember seeing Henn Tan's company Trek2000 has come out with new product in partnership with Toshiba. Sort of thumbdrive new version.

Hmm... seems the stock market doesn't appreciate it.

Stock price was high 50+ cents and now.. 20+ cents.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a well known case and the it is only recognised in Singapore and therefore they have not been able to collect royalty. The royalty interestingly is collected by an IBM linked company that bought it from the Israeli's. Trek attempt to do it has been knocked by the UK courts and they stopped chasing the dream. If you notice the Singapore Govt which typically brags about Singapore patents has been silent about this case.

T

i remember seeing Henn Tan's company Trek2000 has come out with new product in partnership with Toshiba. Sort of thumbdrive new version.

Hmm... seems the stock market doesn't appreciate it.

Stock price was high 50+ cents and now.. 20+ cents.

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fact 1: Trek 2000 owns the trademark THUMBDRIVE

Fact 2: M-SYSTEMS invented the 1st USB Flash drive (aka Thumbdrive, aka USB drive) before Trek 2000. Evidence as shown

M-SYSTEMS's US Patent 6,148,354, filed on Apr 5, 1999
Title of Patent: Architecture for a universal serial bus-based PC flash disk
Inventors: Amir Ban, Dov Moran, Oron Ogdan
Main Patent Claim:
1. A USB flash memory device for connecting to a USB-defined bus, the flash memory device comprising:
(a) at least one flash memory module for storing data;
(b) a USB connector for connecting to the USB-defined bus and for sending packets on, and for receiving packets from, the USB-defined bus;
(c) a USB controller for controlling said at least one flash memory module and for controlling said USB connector according to at least one packet received from the USB-defined bus, such that data is written to and read from said at least one flash memory module;
(d) an electrical interface for connecting to said USB connector and for receiving said packets from said USB connector as a plurality of electrical signals;
(e) a logical interface for connecting to said electrical interface and for translating said plurality of electrical signals to logic signals, said logic signals being passed to said at least one flash memory module;
(f) a functional interface for receiving said logic signals such that if said logic signals represent a USB functional packet, said functional interface sends a USB command to said USB controller according to said USB functional packet;
(g) an application packet extractor for connecting to said logical interface and for receiving said logic signals, said application packet extractor extracting at least one packet from said logic signals; and
(h) an application command interpreter for receiving said at least one packet and for determining a command according to said at least one packet, said command 10
being passed to said USB controller.

TREK 2000 PCT Patent Application PCT/SG00/00029, filed on Feb 21, 2000
Title of Patent: A Portable Data Storage Device
Inventor: CHENG, Chong, Seng (not Henn)
Main Patent Claim:
1. A portable data storage device comprising a coupling device for coupling to a computer serial bus, an interface device coupled to the coupling device, a memory control device and a non-volatile solid-state memory device; the 5 memory control device being coupled between the interface device and the memory device to control the flow of data from the memory device to the coupling device.

Just to be sure, while Henn is the CEO of Trek 2000, he is not the inventor of the Trek's thumbdrive.
Thumbdrive_not_Henn.png

Last edited: