• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Did he serve rotten vegetables on purpose?

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did he serve rotten vegetables on purpose?
Mon, Apr 13, 2009
AsiaOne
20090413.191804_hawker_veg.jpg

He picks up rotten vegetables strewn on the road - allegedly to serve them as side dishes to the noodles that he sells in his hawker stall.

Every morning, the hawker is seen picking up the spoilt and discarded vegetables from the wet market in the Toa Payoh East area, reported Shin Min Daily News.

According to a reader who tipped the paper off, the hawker claimed that he was picking up the vegetables for an old folk's home.

However, the reader noted that the hawker looked guilty when he made the claim.

Feeling uneasy, the reader decided to tail the hawker and subsequently saw the hawker bringing the vegetables back to his stall. After carefully sorting out the vegetables, the hawker proceeded to cook and sell them to his customers.

Reporter goes on the trail

A Shin Min reporter decided to investigate the caller's claims.

True enough, a middle-aged hawker appeared at the market at about 5 am and made a beeline for the area where unwanted vegetables were disposed of.

The hawker, who was wearing grey bermudas and a brown t-shirt, had cycled to the market with a plastic bag in his hands, continued the report.

After following the hawker for some time, the reporter decided to identify himself and questioned the hawker's actions.

The hawker, who identified himself as Mr Lim, said that he had gone to the market to pick up unwanted vegetables as well as to buy fresh vegetables. The vegetables that were served to his customers were fresh vegetables bought from the wet market.

"The vegetables that I pick up are used to feed animals, like the tortoises at the Lian Shan Shuang Lin Monastery" Mr Lim said.

However, the reporter verified that there were no tortoises in the premises of the monastery.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>"The vegetables that I pick up are used to feed animals, like the tortoises at the Lian Shan Shuang Lin Monastery" Mr Lim said.

However, the reporter verified that there were no tortoises in the premises of the monastery.>

leeporter did not see many bald-headed turtles at the monastry?:biggrin:

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
ha ha,did u guy know those discard vege part had the most nutrition? i believe scoohyhoo must be damn a healthy guy by comsume those vege and low in meat diet during his young days...

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
ha ha,did u guy know those discard vege part had the most nutrition? i believe scoohyhoo must be damn a healthy guy by comsume those vege and low in meat diet during his young days...

Yah u are a clever man.
The most delicious time to eating veggies is when dey is starting to rot.
Our kitchen always keep the fresh veggies delivered to them for a few days until dey is starting to rot then cook them....... very very delicious :smile:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

WOW great statement of the year.

We should all be seeking out discarded rotten veggies on the road to consume now.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
"The vegetables that I pick up are used to feed animals, like the tortoises at the Lian Shan Shuang Lin Monastery" Mr Lim said.

However, the reporter verified that there were no tortoises in the premises of the monastery.

Hmm, looks like he's crazy. He's feeding pigs on the streets not tortoises at a monastery.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks god! most food from bitter goulds to lobsters are delicious to me. of course, when i was young, can't afford that kind of big fish, big abalones and big lobsters that you have every meal.

In those days there was more compassion going around. Some of the vegetable sellers would not only dump the not so good looking and damaged parts but having noticed a few less affluent people picking the discards, the sellers would purposely rip off the better quality sections for them.

Your mother may have been a benefiting from the kind veg sellers, and in any case, I believe your experience during those days of basic survival has made you a much better person today.