• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dad is academic genius, son sucks in school....maybe that's not his biological son?

Aaron carter

Alfrescian
Loyal
1721979103764.jpeg

In 2012, I was part of Our Singapore Conversation, a massive nationwide exercise to hold dialogue sessions with 47,000 Singaporeans to shape the country’s future. I was sitting in a group dialogue session and the topic was about the local education system.

An elderly man in the group struck up a conversation with me and asked about my fatherhood journey.

I shared with him that my then nine-year-old son’s school grades were getting worse and I didn’t know what to do. I had tried everything from coaching him to encouraging him, and it often ended up with me scolding him harshly.

The man asked gently, “What is your definition of a good grade in school?”

I replied, “Umm, about 85 marks?”

He smiled and said, “Who defined that number for you?”

I was dumbstruck. You see, I had grown up getting what I would consider good grades at every stage of my education path and so thought of anything lower than that as “bad”.

From the time we had streaming in Primary 4 until the day I completed junior college, I was always in the top few classes in school.

In university, I was awarded a scholarship with Singapore Press Holdings and graduated as the valedictorian of my faculty.

I expected my first child to follow in my academic footsteps. I assumed he just needed to be conscientious and study hard like I did and he would get the grades to succeed in life.

But after the initial easy years of Primary 1 and 2, I could not fathom why my son was struggling in his studies.

I tried to teach him subjects like Maths but I would end up scolding him out of frustration and anger.

My son did not like to revise what he had studied, which I believed was a bad habit and the cause of his poor grades. I ended up scolding him more and more. He became sadder and quieter as the months went by.

More at https://www.schoolbag.edu.sg/story/...d-through-school-so-why-is-my-son-struggling/

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
The right genes is not activated, can skip generation wan

Prince Sheng Wu has his Ah Gong good genes

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dad is just being egoistic. Although genes play a huge part, it doesn't always do its job so highly intelligent people may produce idiots as well and vice versa. History has already proven this.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how smart the offspring see the mother not the father....barking up the wrong tree.
how chio the dotter see the father not the mother.....

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
View attachment 203077

In 2012, I was part of Our Singapore Conversation, a massive nationwide exercise to hold dialogue sessions with 47,000 Singaporeans to shape the country’s future. I was sitting in a group dialogue session and the topic was about the local education system.

An elderly man in the group struck up a conversation with me and asked about my fatherhood journey.

I shared with him that my then nine-year-old son’s school grades were getting worse and I didn’t know what to do. I had tried everything from coaching him to encouraging him, and it often ended up with me scolding him harshly.

The man asked gently, “What is your definition of a good grade in school?”

I replied, “Umm, about 85 marks?”

He smiled and said, “Who defined that number for you?”

I was dumbstruck. You see, I had grown up getting what I would consider good grades at every stage of my education path and so thought of anything lower than that as “bad”.

From the time we had streaming in Primary 4 until the day I completed junior college, I was always in the top few classes in school.

In university, I was awarded a scholarship with Singapore Press Holdings and graduated as the valedictorian of my faculty.

I expected my first child to follow in my academic footsteps. I assumed he just needed to be conscientious and study hard like I did and he would get the grades to succeed in life.

But after the initial easy years of Primary 1 and 2, I could not fathom why my son was struggling in his studies.

I tried to teach him subjects like Maths but I would end up scolding him out of frustration and anger.

My son did not like to revise what he had studied, which I believed was a bad habit and the cause of his poor grades. I ended up scolding him more and more. He became sadder and quieter as the months went by.

More at https://www.schoolbag.edu.sg/story/...d-through-school-so-why-is-my-son-struggling/
Stupid believed LKY about good father mother genes will produce good children genes until Allah taught him a lesson and gave him a retard grandchild.
After that he had to shut the fuck up.

Willamshakespear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eugenics was a popular theory in the 50s, but by the 80s, it was PROVEN as FAILED science, as it does not follow the rigors of scientific methodology - how else when the son of a mere watch seller can become a wise leader of a Nation, off-springs of lowly educated taxi drivers becoming CEOs, progenies of Emperors reduced to paupers like China's Pu Yi?

By the 80s, with more research upon genetics, many realized that genes only produces the SHELL of a Human. It is the SPARK OF LIFE that determines if one is a genius, regardless if one is as crippled by genetic shell as the renown Stephen Hawking, or given an almost identical genetic shell of parents, turned out to be a moron like England's PM in the early 40s - Neville Chamberlain.

All Humans are born equal, & each Earthborn are given gifts, how else to explain why some Humans are exceptional in sports, music, etc, while others are awesome in leadership, academia, science that took Humankind to the moon?

The answer may lay in NUTURING AND finding out what a growing child is good at, & MOTIVATING them towards such goals, and NOT the enforced expectations of parents or tiger moms.

For example, if the kid loves computer games, then play along with them to show support, & at some point suggests that the child create better games. Such would be the introduction to science, technology & specifically coding which requires mathematical skills.....

If the kid loves football, then support him, & introduce him to a wider world of football matches & stars, of how they achieve their success thru intensive physical & mental trainning.

If the kid loves fashion, then support her, bring her to view a bigger world of fashion that exists - beauty treatment, designs, etc. CEOs of fashion houses did not excel in academia, but became rich & famous by their FOCUS on what they liked to do, & properly guided along the way to achieve such.

As the kid is still young, some may lose focus on their likes, & develop other likes, which is ok as the kid is still young & opportunities abound still. Some scholars too will lose their interest in academia & eventually became successful hawkers instead....

It takes all kinds to make up our World for progress & evolution. As the insignificant nobody me had mentioned before - In a world where almost all are PHDs, the garage mechanic will be king as he alone is willing to get his hands dirty & body sweaty after a hard day's work, & thus thru principles of free market of supply & demand - calls the shots in whatever he needs.

Point is - it's about survival, the ultimate goal in life, & NONE can live another's life, but for parents & loved ones to only be THERE to properly guide them based upon their free will towards better harmless alternatives where available....

Last edited:

Willamshakespear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nobody taught me to deliver food.

You SURVIVED, did you not, with average income of min $3000/mth & undeclared more, to put food on the table for yourself & loved ones, based upon your free will to get off the rat race & as a metaphorical food delivery driver in opportunities bounded Singapore?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
You SURVIVED, did you not, with average income of min $3000/mth & undeclared more, to put food on the table for yourself & loved ones, based upon your free will to get off the rat race & as a metaphorical food delivery driver in opportunities bounded Singapore?
I was suppose to be somebody like Elon musk. Or Messi

• Haha
Reactions: jw5