• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Creative bets big on Zii technology

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=452><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Published September 9, 2009
c.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Creative bets big on Zii technology
Zii platform open for adoption by makers of TV set-top boxes, mobile phones

By ONG BOON KIAT
<TABLE class=storyLinks border=0 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=1 width=136 align=right><TBODY><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Email this article</TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Print article </TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Feedback</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
CREATIVE Technology's US$1 billion technology bet, Zii, could show up in TV set-top boxes, digital signage systems and mobile phones from other manufacturers next year.

<TABLE class=picBoxL cellSpacing=2 width=100 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=caption><TD>Mr Hock: Future Zii-powered devices could include those that run on Google's Chrome computer operating system </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>In an interview with BT, ZiiLabs president Hock Leow offered the clearest directions yet for the local tech group's latest computing chip technology foray, which was launched in January this year.
The US-based executive, who was in Singapore last week, said that over the next 12 months 'you will definitely see some form of set-top box from somebody, and some customers embracing it in the digital signage area, while the mobile phone is definitely a possibility'.
He hinted that future Zii-powered devices could include those that run on Internet search giant Google's upcoming Chrome computer operating system, which could bring Zii into the realm of netbooks.
'A Zii set-top box can be built for, I am guessing, in the neighbourhood of US$50', making such devices significantly cheaper than those in the market today, he said. Its low-cost appeal should also make Zii a hit with makers of digital signage systems found in shopping malls, which typically comprise big screen TVs displaying advertisements or informercials fed by PCs or laptops.
As for upcoming Zii mobile phones, they could look like the Zii EGG, a handset Creative launched last month, which runs the Google mobile phone operating system, Android.
Mr Hock said ZiiLabs has been talking with companies and partners from a number of countries including Singapore, about adopting this technology.
He added that Creative is also mulling the possibility of using this technology in the future for its own line of products, such as video conferencing systems and speakers.
Targeted at developers and manufacturers, Creative's Zii is a low-powered, low-cost computing platform aimed at a broad range of manufacturers as building blocks for mobile phones and other electronic devices. Developed by Creative unit 3DLabs, now renamed ZiiLabs, it features 'ready-made technologies that can be put together almost like a Lego set, allowing companies to get to the market as fast as possible', Mr Hock said.
Zii is the latest revenue-diversification effort by Creative, which saw revenues plunge 37 per cent to US$466.1 million for its FY2009. The company last year launched a video conferencing system called inPerson, but that has yet to become a hit. Now, with Zii, market watchers are once again talking it up as Creative's next big thing.
With Zii, Creative is trying to emulate the business model of chip-makers like Intel Corp, which not only makes chips but designs chipsets, as well as works with software vendors to ensure their applications run well on the hardware.
Mr Hock added, however, that Creative is going one step further by making near-complete products, such as the Zii EGG, which manufacturers can use to churn out their own finished products faster than they can with just starting out from a chipset.
'Doing something like the Zii EGG really connected what an end product can be to the silicon. This is because the silicon is one end of the spectrum and the end product like the Zii EGG is another end of the spectrum, and between that there is so much work that has to get done - and not every company possesses all levels of engineering to bring it together,' he said.
'For some companies, the time savings (by adopting the Zii platform) can be as much as 12 months.'
Mr Hock said this platform can earn 'significant' revenue for Creative in future but declined to give a forecast. He did, however, predict that Zii's biggest market in the near term will be China, because manufacturers there 'are willing to try and eager to catch up'.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally they managed to come out with something more practical than trying to go head-on with FRUIT-A :rolleyes:

Their shares have been languishing at the bottom for far too long already since their hey-day of S$50 shares :p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Finally they managed to come out with something more practical than trying to go head-on with FRUIT-A :rolleyes:

Their shares have been languishing at the bottom for far too long already since their hey-day of S$50 shares :p

They should have stayed in California....where they made a name for themselves...and rather come home to SINgapore ( not five), and get 'shafted' by high rentals etc...

anyway...creative other than their sound cards, any other products I do not trust...do you?:p

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to be a big fan of Creative product. I've bought soundblaster, soundblaster Pro, soundblaster 16 AWE. Used to be so proud that a Singapore company could be a truly international, innovative and creative company that comes out with cool products like the soundblaster. Their multimedia package, soundblaster + CD-ROM + tons of games were great. Somehow, along the way they seem to lose a lot of luster. I don't know what happen, but imagine a company that was the de-facto, maybe even monopoly of the PC audio market and lost it badly. Did they not research enough? Was it marketing? Not enough technical engineering? They always seem to have some "promise" of making big money every few years. Starting with the Nomad, the MP3 player. The very first portable mp3 player with a harddisc that pre-dates the ipod. I really wish this Zii is going to boast their revenue, but I highly doubt it would happen for them. Good luck creative. I miss the old days of the Soundblasters.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
anyway...creative other than their sound cards, any other products I do not trust...do you?:p

In business you have to move with the times. If Woo had stayed in California he would be more in-tune with the latest & greatest out there.

He obviously chose to stay within his comfort zone. He gets to eat his chicken rice & vote for the PAP. Isn't that what every loyal Sporeans wants :smile:

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
In business you have to move with the times. If Woo had stayed in California he would be more in-tune with the latest & greatest out there.

He obviously chose to stay within his comfort zone. He gets to eat his chicken rice & vote for the PAP. Isn't that what every loyal Sporeans wants :smile:

your statement shows your ignorance.

maybe your should find out more abt Sim before you say things

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
They should have stayed in California....where they made a name for themselves...and rather come home to SINgapore ( not five), and get 'shafted' by high rentals etc...

Yes, their other products are very poor.
Coming back home he could be somebody but nothing grows under the banyan tree.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
your statement shows your ignorance.

maybe your should find out more abt Sim before you say things

Where do you suggest I start to find out more about Sim, Strait Times :smile:

If you look at US companies the better ones have board of directors from other companies, also got ex-employees from other tech companies moving around. This cross fertilization is good for tech companies. as they bring different ideas into these companies. So what is the composition of Creatives board of directors, family?, PAP?

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Creative is a one-shot wonder.

After they IPOed, the major partners cashed out.

Not surprised. They were praised to high heavens.

Not good for the mind, this thing called pride.

Sim doesn't need the money. Best cash out and retire.

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal

The sound cards are their base cash cows, as it is still generating the necessary $$ for them at the moment, its the MP3/MP4 market that was bleeding them badly previously :wink:

This new technology looks promising :p

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Creative is a one-shot wonder.

After they IPOed, the major partners cashed out.

Not surprised. They were praised to high heavens.

Not good for the mind, this thing called pride.

Sim doesn't need the money. Best cash out and retire.

You may want to check your sources :wink:

Creative have been giving out dividends in USD for quite some time after their IPO, it was only the MP3 fiasco against Apple that really bled them :wink:

Luckily they finally had the mind to get out of that silly war :p

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Creative have been giving out dividends in USD for quite some time after their IPO, it was only the MP3 fiasco against Apple that really bled them :wink:

Even if they have been giving out regular dividens if the share prices have been falling its still a net loss to shareholders.

How would you feel today if you had paid $25 for a share which has been falling to todays price of $4 :confused:

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if they have been giving out regular dividens if the share prices have been falling its still a net loss to shareholders.

How would you feel today if you had paid $25 for a share which has been falling to todays price of $4 :confused:

Errrrrr I tink you missed the point of my post:smile:, it was posted in relation to an earlier post which says that "Creative is a 1-shot wonder & their partners cashed out after IPO", which Creative did not and proceeded to be profitable for quite some time before the MP3 fiasco :wink:

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Creative is a one shot wonder.

The fact that it had a long gestating cash cow in the variants of the sound card ending in the USB port variant doesn't mean it cannot be profitable for quite some time. Tech companies are not unlike drug companies, with cash cows hard to identify.

However, subsequent R&D to produce new growth in the company have invariably not been as successful.

Errrrrr I tink you missed the point of my post:smile:, it was posted in relation to an earlier post which says that "Creative is a 1-shot wonder & their partners cashed out after IPO", which Creative did not and proceeded to be profitable for quite some time before the MP3 fiasco :wink:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Errrrrr I tink you missed the point of my post:smile:, i...:wink:

Apple has never given out any dividens & yet their share prices are going up. I remember that at one time Creative shares were higher than Apple :eek:

If Creative had products that people wanted the shares would be going up & not down. What other products did Creative make: keyboards, mouse, ZEN, .... They became a company of "me too" products. It's only a matter of time when it becomes history :rolleyes:

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal

After skimming through the article, I have no idea WTF is Zii. What kind of reporting is this?

Also, can't they be more Creative in coming out with a product name?

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where do you suggest I start to find out more about Sim, Strait Times :smile:

If you look at US companies the better ones have board of directors from other companies, also got ex-employees from other tech companies moving around. This cross fertilization is good for tech companies. as they bring different ideas into these companies. So what is the composition of Creatives board of directors, family?, PAP?

you don't do your homework, continue to shoot off your mouth like an idiot, please carry on.

before you even try to suggest Sim have anything to do with the PAP, please find out about his past 1st.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
After skimming through the article, I have no idea WTF is Zii. What kind of reporting is this?

Also, can't they be more Creative in coming out with a product name?

From what I can find out from google about zii

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/creative-unveils-zii/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/28/creative-debuts-android-powered-zii-egg-for-developers-and-oems/

seems like its an SOC, system on the chip that would be able to do anything an iphone does, video, games, sound.

Would be very interesting to find out if this partnership with Android works.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you don't do your homework, continue to shoot off your mouth like an idiot, please carry on.

before you even try to suggest Sim have anything to do with the PAP, please find out about his past 1st.

Where did I claim Sim had anything to do with PAP :confused:
I have no connection with Creative whatsoever. Any observations on the company is a personal opinion.

It is a fact that Spore is not the place to be if you want to do "innovative" consumer products. If Sim insists on running the company from Spore where is he going to get inspiration on future products :confused:

Even if he's a model Sporean entrepreneur Creatives stock prices is only $4
The fact remains that Creative is in decline.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if he's a model Sporean entrepreneur Creatives stock prices is only $4
The fact remains that Creative is in decline.

I agree, Creative has been on the decline for a very very long time.

On the issue of being innovative in Singapore. Why is it that Singaporean can't be innovative anymore? I remember that Sim was a poly grad that actually "invented" the soundblaster. What actually makes it so hard for Singapore to create more Sims nowadays? Is he just being lucky?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim_Wong_Hoo

The wikipage did suggest he was pretty critical of the Singapore government mentality. He coined the term "No U-turn" Syndrome to describe Singaporean mentality as regard to entrepreneurship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_U-turn_syndrome

wiki; said:
In his book Chaotic Thoughts from the Old Millennium, he uses a comparison of traffic rules in Singapore to those found overseas, to describe the phenomenon : In Singapore, drivers are not allowed to make a U-turn unless a sign specifically allows them to do so, while in some other countries drivers may make U-turns freely so long as the 'No U-turn' sign is not present. Following that, this analogy is used to explain the red tape he has encountered with hard-nosed bureaucrats, which in turn stifles the very creativity that the Singaporean government has been trying to promote in the recent years.

I suppose having him say that, he might be regretting moving his base to Singapore.