• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Covid-19 pandemic - mismanagement by PAP government

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Updating records with overseas vaccination shouldn't cost so much​

Sep 7, 2022

I recently returned to Singapore after two years of being stationed overseas. I was vaccinated against Covid-19 overseas, and wanted to heed the Government's call to get my booster shots.
I learnt that to get my overseas vaccination records included in the National Immunisation Registry, I would have to go to a general practitioner clinic that offers the service, and pay an administrative fee. No polyclinic option is available.
After calling a few clinics, I found out the service would cost from $42 without a serology test, and from $72 with a serology test.
I find it disappointing that additional payment is required from Singaporeans who just want to heed our Government's call to get the booster shots.

George Goh

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Stop using hotels as lodgings for foreign workers​

Jan 17, 2023

There were many policies put in place during the height of the Covid-19 pandemic. Safe distancing measures as well as workplace requirements were put in place and subsequently rolled back as the nation adjusted to living with the coronavirus. However, not all measures were rescinded.
In 2020, the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) allowed hotels to serve as alternative lodgings for foreign workers to reduce the spread of Covid-19 in existing foreign worker dormitories.
Residents living near such establishments understood and accepted that this move was needed due to the nation’s constraints during Covid-19. However, these hotels and inns have continued to serve as alternative lodgings for migrant workers, even as global travel restrictions ease and tourist numbers increase in Singapore.
The impact on the neighbourhood is significant if these hotels, especially those in residential areas, do not revert to their previous business models to serve guests and instead continue to house foreign workers.
For instance, residents have to put up with the noise from trucks and other vehicles that pick up the workers as early as 5am, even on weekends. Workers are also loitering and talking loudly in groups late at night.
I urge the authorities to roll back such interim measures swiftly, in line with the nation’s position on Covid-19, and not let businesses persist with business models that were implemented to better manage the situation during the pandemic years.

Desmond Teo Mingjie

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Covid-19 medals not the best way to show appreciation to healthcare workers​

DEC 16, 2023

I refer to the article “Some Covid-19 front-liners selling Resilience Medals; PMO says medals should be handled with respect (Dec 13). Putting aside the intentions of potential buyers, perhaps we should reflect on why these recipients are selling their medals online.
During the pandemic, I worked in the emergency department and Covid-19 isolation wards of Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH).
As a healthcare worker who received the invitation to receive the medal, I view the actions of these sellers as symbolic of a bigger message – medals do not put food on the table; gestures and tokens are of no use if they do not solve one’s basic needs.
Healthcare workers work for the same reason as the rest of the population – to make a living. The altruistic virtues often portrayed about healthcare workers are secondary, which is why nobody works for free.
As a gesture of appreciation, healthcare workers would value feeling heard regarding grievances related to their work hours, pay, rights and protection against abuse.
It is worth noting that cash bonuses were given to healthcare workers during the pandemic, which was well-appreciated. Many of us feel that money and resources could have been better spent on healthcare workers, such as another cash bonus in lieu of the medal and an extravagant appreciation carnival, for example.
Another reason which erodes the value of the medal is the sheer number of recipients. Medals given out by the Prime Minister’s Office, such as the National Day Awards, are usually viewed with honour and prestige.

The PMO website says the Covid-19 Resilience Medal was awarded to 110,365 recipients. In comparison, the Long Service Medal, the next most common award, was given to 3,436 recipients. It is therefore difficult to ascribe the same prestige to the Covid-19 Resilience Medal.
For the above reasons, I did not collect my medal. Perhaps that is why some of those who did decided to put it up for sale – at least for the symbolism if not for monetary gain.

Winston Lee (Dr)