• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Comfortable city living needs big bucks!!!!

Don Muthuswamy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Comfortable city living needs big bucksAAP June 2, 2010, 5:49 pm 21 CommentsBuzz up! Send

Email
IM

DeliciousTwitterMyspaceDiggStumble UponFacebook
Print

To live in Sydney and be comfortable you need an annual salary of about $100,000 and an inner city or beachside home close to work, the city's residents believe.

A survey of the opinions of 304 Sydneysiders shows living near the harbour or CBD is a top priority, even though affordability is falling.

"Sydney is still very much a harbour and beach city with a clear attraction to regions of Sydney near the water or close to the CDB, but it's a dream that's slipping away," the head of the Sydney Business Chamber Patricia Forsythe said.

The survey conducted for the chamber shows 60 per cent of respondents believe living in the nation's biggest city is less affordable than a year ago while a further 16 per cent say it's "very unaffordable".

Rents and mortgage payments were unaffordable or very unaffordable for 54 per cent.

But most - 68 per cent - still want to live in the pricey eastern suburbs, trendy inner west, beautiful northern beaches or upmarket north shore.

Only 27 per cent want to live in the vibrant and family-minded western, north west, south and south west suburbs.

And 85 per cent think an individual needs to earn at least $50,000 and as much as $150,000 to live comfortably in the nation's biggest city.

"The challenge for the government is to deliver more affordable housing in these areas and also to make the outer suburbs more attractive through job creation and cutting commuting times to employment areas," Ms Forsythe said.

Some 90 per cent of Sydneysiders catch public transport to get to work - a tiny one per cent use a bicycle - with most taking about 40 minutes to make a one-way journey.

According to Residex, the median two to three bedroom Sydney house price is $651,000, against $462,000 for London and $460,000 in New York.

The average annual salary for a working Australian is about $66,000, Australian Bureau of Statistics data show.

The latest Sydney Business Chamber Citypoll survey was conducted online.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Comfortable city living needs big bucksAAP June 2, 2010, 5:49 pm 21 CommentsBuzz up! Send

To live in Sydney and be comfortable you need an annual salary of about $100,000 and an inner city or beachside home close to work, the city's residents believe.

"Sydney is still very much a harbour and beach city with a clear attraction to regions of Sydney near the water or close to the CDB, but it's a dream that's slipping away," the head of the Sydney Business Chamber Patricia Forsythe said.

The survey conducted for the chamber shows 60 per cent of respondents believe living in the nation's biggest city is less affordable than a year ago while a further 16 per cent say it's "very unaffordable".

Rents and mortgage payments were unaffordable or very unaffordable for 54 per cent.

But most - 68 per cent - still want to live in the pricey eastern suburbs, trendy inner west, beautiful northern beaches or upmarket north shore.

According to Residex, the median two to three bedroom Sydney house price is $651,000, against $462,000 for London and $460,000 in New York.

The average annual salary for a working Australian is about $66,000, Australian Bureau of Statistics data show.

The latest Sydney Business Chamber Citypoll survey was conducted online.

PM rudd DID SAY that A$250K salary is "not a lot" in some areas of Australia in a budget speech some time ago. Not bashing, just pointing out A$250K is close to S$300K a year and few can earn A$250K a year, plus it puts you in the top tax bracket in Australia

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM rudd DID SAY that A$250K salary is "not a lot" in some areas of Australia in a budget speech some time ago. Not bashing, just pointing out A$250K is close to S$300K a year and few can earn A$250K a year, plus it puts you in the top tax bracket in Australia

Hmm.. if we don't earn this income then what the hell we're still here ?

I was in SG last month and my banker blan-jia me a sushi lunch worth $140 sia.. with complement from the bank (NB, I should have order more !) meeting in a special room at UOB building with one-to-one personal service.. I was treated like a king !

I wonder why POSB/DBS didn't treat me this way when I was a sinkie ? What the.... Hahaha

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm.. if we don't earn this income then what the hell we're still here ?

I was in SG last month and my banker blan-jia me a sushi lunch worth $140 sia.. with complement from the bank (NB, I should have order more !) meeting in a special room at UOB building with one-to-one personal service.. I was treated like a king !

I wonder why POSB/DBS didn't treat me this way when I was a sinkie ? What the.... Hahaha

I think you'll find that Singapore has changed in some ways and not changed in others, but overall the situation is different then when you migrated. Its not the same Singapore you remember.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you'll find that Singapore has changed in some ways and not changed in others, but overall the situation is different then when you migrated. Its not the same Singapore you remember.

Oh yes, this is why I keep telling them "I love SG" :wink: The treatment I received is superb ! even my secondary frz are treating me differently - extremely nice ! hmmm.. is it becoz I am a foreigner or my chicken accent ? haha.. knn, what the hell.. I like it anyway ! hahaha... SG pls wait for me...

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
u have any statistics to prove, so u just write base on what ur cock think?

i dunno about you, but i'll be living rather happily anywhere in the world, be it SG, Australia cos unlike you, i make a decent living for myself.

plec140

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think all they did was interview a bunch of pommies.

Originally Posted by axe168 View Post
I was in SG last month

Its been a while since i went back and dont feel like going back either.
did you travel on a red passport or your australian one ?

i dunno about you, but i'll be living rather happily anywhere in the world, be it SG, Australia cos unlike you, i make a decent living for myself.

Amen to that.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think all they did was interview a bunch of pommies.

Plec,

even if you keep your red passport, eventually it will expire....

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aiyo.. it has been 4 yrs since I left.. gotto return and contribute to their economy lah. It is good to be back and enjoy ~ not so sure about working there. I enjoy spending money there.. good shopping and good food :wink:

I have given up my red passport liao. Redraw my CPF and make it grow like crazy.. heehee..

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyo.. it has been 4 yrs since I left.. gotto return and contribute to their economy lah. It is good to be back and enjoy ~ not so sure about working there. I enjoy spending money there.. good shopping and good food :wink:

I have given up my red passport liao. Redraw my CPF and make it grow like crazy.. heehee..

Can't tell the difference between withdraw and redraw. Good thing you gave up your red passport.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't tell the difference between withdraw and redraw. Good thing you gave up your red passport.

Ok. The answer is 'withdraw'.. honest mistake :wink:

I'm glad you agree it is a good thing for me to give up red passport. Emotions cannot go hand-in-hand with Growth & Opportunity. With my diploma status and my gutsy balls hanging outwards, Australia is going to be just fine for me.

Don't cry for me SG.. Whatever will be, will be..