• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chua Mui Hoong: I won't marry a vegetable-seller's son!

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>From Swatow and back to Singapore

</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD>Like many here, I claim multiple heritages but chose this nation for life </TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- Author --></TD></TR><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Chua Mui Hoong, Senior Writer

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
A ROW of trishaw-riders stood expectantly, watching us. I paused, wondering whose trishaw to take. There were 16 of us from Singapore, and the trishaw ride had been arranged by the tour agency.
One face leapt out at me: a long, narrow face with a high forehead and arched brows. He looked exactly like photographs of my late father in his younger days. I gravitated to his trishaw.

On the short ride through the narrow alleys of Chaozhou town in Guangdong province, I engaged him in conversation in my rudimentary Teochew.

He was 52, and had three children aged 17 to 24. His second daughter had just finished high school among the top of her cohort, winning prizes. She could make it to university, but the family was 'bo ji' - without money - and she was working in a factory. The eldest child had also bypassed university although she too had qualified. The youngest son was still in school.

The trishaw-rider himself had left Chaozhou to make a living somewhere else - my poor Teochew could not grasp where. But without proper household registration papers, he had abandoned his migrant worker's life and had returned to his hometown to earn a living as a trishaw rider.
His story struck home. He looked like my father. His children's story could have been mine and my siblings'.

Except for two accidents - one political, the other personal - our fates might have been similar: The triumph in 1949 of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) in the Chinese civil war, which forced people like my father, who belonged to the losing side, to flee the mainland; and the serendipity of my father choosing to settle not in Hong Kong or Thailand, where the boats from Shantou also landed, but in Singapore.

This year marks the 60th anniversary of the CCP's victory in China, and the 50th year of the People's Action Party's rule in Singapore. There are similarities between the two parties. Both presided over phenomenal growth in their respective countries; their strong administrations created the conditions for relatively stable societies. And both are grappling with the dilemmas of success: How to continue to grow, and make the transition to a middle- or high-income country without turbulence.

The similarities, however, end there. Whatever its shortcomings, Singapore's PAP Government has resolutely held onto its founding ideals - among them, a rejection of corruption and an insistence on meritocracy. And what a difference the actualisation of those ideals has made.

Like the trishaw-rider, my father had little education and had to eke out a living: as a cobbler, as an itinerant hawker and later as a licensed hawker.
Like the trishaw-rider's, my family had no connections. But in Singapore, you don't need to know the right people to get into a good school, nor do you need to bribe teachers/doctors/officials to get a fair deal.
Unlike the trishaw-rider's two daughters, my sister and I benefited from government-funded scholarships that enabled us to attend top universities.

I sometimes think of the what-might-have-beens: What if my parents had remained in Malaysia, where they lived for several years before heading to Singapore? I might have stopped schooling at 16, and married a vegetable-seller's son.

What if my parents had remained in Chaozhou - or moved to the port city of Shantou, an hour away? In Communist China, the children of a former Nationalist (Kuomintang) soldier would have been outcasts. My elders might have perished during the Cultural Revolution. If we had survived, we might have joined the millions of migrant workers today who roam the countryside looking for jobs.

I ruminated over these possibilities when I was in Shantou last month with a group of Singaporeans, to run a leadership training camp for over 150 Catholic teenagers.

Being in my parents' hometown of Shantou - or Swatow as it is called in Teochew - felt like a homecoming of sorts. The diet soothed my troublesome stomach. I understood the vernacular spoken on the streets. Everywhere I went, I saw old ladies who reminded me of my mother at home, and old men who reminded me of my father.

I had felt quite differently in Beijing during my first trip to China over 10 years ago. Then, I was alienated, indeed repulsed, by the capital's monumental grandiosity. Thus must my peasant ancestors have felt when they made a trip from the periphery to the distant centre of the Empire to plead their cases. The egalitarian Singaporean in me rebelled against the show of imperial power.

Shantou aroused no such resentment, only an appreciation for its faded charm and its still humane pace of life. The young in Chaozhou live amidst a living culture, in the land of their ancestors, speaking a language that had evolved over tens of centuries in the area around Guangdong's Pearl River Delta. A part of me envies their rootedness.

My karma, and that of most Singaporeans, is different. Ours is the heritage of the sojourner - the traveller who uproots himself, goes to a distant land, and builds a new life for himself and his family. We have not one but multiple heritages. We traverse multiple identities.

I am a Singaporean, of ethnic Chinese descent. I am a huaren (Chinese person), with parents who do not speak huayu (Mandarin), only chaozhou. I think and dream in English, but add faster in Teochew.

Amidst the plethora of heritages to which we can justifiably lay claim, amidst the clash of possible identities, we make our own choices as to which identity, which value, which ideal, we should pledge allegiance to. In love, we are first attracted to someone, and then, at some point, we make a choice, a conscious act of volition: I choose you - for a lifetime.
So too for our sense of identity, for our choice of nationhood. I might have been born in China. I might have been brought up in Malaysia. I could have made Britain or America, where I studied, my home. Somewhat to my surprise, I felt a sense of connection in Shantou.

But it was always Singapore that tugged at my heartstrings. At some point, years ago, I knew this was so. I chose you - for a lifetime.

Happy birthday, Singapore.

Last edited:

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>18496.3 in reply to 18496.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>> I sometimes think of the what-might-have-beens: What if my parents had remained in Malaysia, where they lived for several years before heading to Singapore? I might have stopped schooling at 16, and married a vegetable-seller's son. .... The egalitarian Singaporean in me rebelled against the show of imperial power....

But Chua Mui Hoong's egalitarian self did not mind showing her elitist mentality by pouring scorn on vegetable-sellers....

So, what's wrong marrying a vegetable-seller's son? Must be what she learned in her elite Raffles Girls School... Thou shall not marry any hawker or vegetable-seller or pig farmers or chicken farmers etc.

HAHAHAH!
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's face the reality of life lah!

With the way pesants are being trodden down nowadays, I also would not want to land up marrying a vegetable's seller son!:biggrin:

Then where got chance to wake-up in the morning, looking out to the sea, with a fantastic view from my Sentosa Cove Bungalow? :p

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then where got chance to wake-up in the morning, looking out to the sea, with a fantastic view from my Sentosa Cove Bungalow? :p

I'm sure Chua Mui Hoong would love to marry an Angmo and live in Sentosa Cove Bungalow?

M

moneyfacepap

This is another chee-bye ought to be F U C Ked every dog in the street to claim multiple orgasms.

Last edited by a moderator:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... I sometimes think of the what-might-have-beens: What if my parents had remained in Malaysia, where they lived for several years before heading to Singapore? I might have stopped schooling at 16, and married a vegetable-seller's son. ...
if u hd stopped schooling @ 16, u cud b a rich tycoon now ... wat a waste! ... :rolleyes:

u c veg-seller no up? ... c ur arrogant, stuck-up (world crass, world bestest, world lumpar 1) attitude, bet u never even heard of 倫文敘 b4 ... ppl sell vegetable 1 ... dun anyhow c ppl no up ... :rolleyes:

伦文叙(公元1466-1513),字伯畴、号迁冈。原籍广东南海县澜石区黎涌村。父亲伦老八在黎涌村以耕种为业,因兄弟多而田地少,便流入广州卖菜度日。

据史书记载,伦文叙出身于贫苦农家,父母省吃俭用将其送到一间私塾就读,伦文叙边读书边参与田间劳动,从小便能诗善对,在当地有“神童鬼才”之誉。

他14岁考中秀才,24岁考中举人,34岁考取进士第一名,成为皇帝钦点的状元。弘治二年(1489)伦文叙23岁,以儒士身份到省就试,中高等肄业入太学。弘治十二年(1499)伦文叙33岁时在京考试,列第一(会元),跟着殿试,又名列第一(状元),遂衣锦还乡祭祖。

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
For your information some of my relatives are vege sellers.... and they are bloody rich! (they are wholesalers, not the small time market stall sellers, just to add)

They're all living in bungalows, and send their children to Arsetralia to study becos they cannot make it in sickapore. And after that they buy houses in Australia for their kids to stay to become citizens.

For all my 'education' i cannot even come close to what my cousins have, In fact i am struggling with my job now and having money problems. So what's the secret here?

All these silly jobs like 'analyst' and 'manager' are airy-fairy roles. Focus on the essentials of living, like eating, housing, even making coffins.... and you'll always have money coming in!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Would u want him even if it's for free?

mh_chua.jpg

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Would u want him even if it's for free?

mh_chua.jpg

Fuck lan jiao face, blow me for free I also dont want. Her face like tio langga by lorry. :biggrin:

Oh no! Our butoh6050 will soon come after you..

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2"> </td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> butoh6050
user_offline.gif
<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_281254", true); </script>
Alfrescian
</td> <td width="100%"> </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> Join Date: Aug 2008
<fieldset class="fieldset"> <legend>My Reputation:</legend> Points: 34 / Power: 13
reputation_pos.gif
</fieldset>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Like the trishaw-rider, my father had little education and had to eke out a living: as a cobbler, as an itinerant hawker and later as a licensed hawker....

I sometimes think of the what-might-have-beens: What if my parents had remained in Malaysia, where they lived for several years before heading to Singapore? I might have stopped schooling at 16, and married a vegetable-seller's son. ...
a quitter n a dotter of a cobbler n hawker look down on a vegetable-seller's son ... :rolleyes:

if ur life hd been betta, u oredi hv grandchildren by now ... wif a vegetable-seller's son ... :rolleyes:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
you think you high class iszit? prostituting to the leeregime..

i dun want my son to marry you!!!!

your're disgrace to my family...

brot10.jpg

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>From Swatow and back to Singapore

</td></tr><tr><td><!-- headline one : end --></td></tr><tr><td>Like many here, I claim multiple heritages but chose this nation for life </td></tr><tr><td><!-- Author --></td></tr><tr><td class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colspan="2">By Chua Mui Hoong, Senior Write

</td></tr></tbody></table>I sometimes think of the what-might-have-beens: What if my parents had remained in Malaysia, where they lived for several years before heading to Singapore? I might have stopped schooling at 16, and married a vegetable-seller's son.

The truth is out...She is another Malaysian FT telling Sinkies to be proud of Sinkie...Got bursary and scholarship somemore !

If Sinkies can get bursaries and scholarships form Malaysia I am sure Sinkies will be also be singing praises about Malaysia also lah.

Why is it that ST publishes only Canadians & Malaysians sucking up to Leegime but not how a true blooded Sinkie who had served NS feels?

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of history's most illustrious personalities were indeed farmers.They could very well had been selling vegetables too.They are Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and George Washington...Cincinnatus was was Roman consul in 460 BC and dictator twice, in 458 BC and 439 BC . His first term as dictator began when Rome was being menaced by the Aequi tribe . The Roman Senatee pleaded with Cincinnatus to assume the mantle of dictator to save the city. George Washington admired Cinncinnatus and followed in his footsteps.

George Washington (February 22, 1732 – December 14, 1799) was the commander of the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary Warr (1775–1783) and served as the first President of the United States of America (1789–1797).For his central role in the formation of the United States, he is often referred to as the father of his country.

BOTH HANDED BACK THEIR AUTHORITY AFTER COMPLETING THEIR MISSION AND WENT BACK TO THEIR FARMING THOUGH THEY HAD ABSOLUTE AUTHORITY IN THEIR HANDS AND COULD USE IT IN ANY WAY THEY WANT.

Perhaps,Chua Mui Hoong's hatred for vegetable sellers arose because she worships Leegime and hates people like Cincinnatus and George Washington.

Last edited:

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chua's attempt at romantic melancholy falls flat on its face in its effort to drum up patriotism on National Day.

It show with a strong flavour her inner distaste of commoners and only people with true emphaty and compassion can compose a story that pulls on the heartstrings, unlike Chua.

Chua on the other hand leads people to understand why they hate this country so.