• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese "Sing Song" Contest Sing English Songs...WTF ?

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here in Taiwan there are at least 3 variety shows run like singing competition. The thing I don't understand is why do some contestants choose to sign English songs in a Chinese singing competition ? And why do the organizers allow contestants to sing English songs in the first place ?

I haven't come across any English/American singing competitions where contestants sing Chinese songs. What the fuck is wrong with Chinese these days ?

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because 95% of the Chinese suffer from Pinkerton's Syndrome. :rolleyes:
Anybody who sings Western songs will be perceived as superior.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here in Taiwan there are at least 3 variety shows run like singing competition. The thing I don't understand is why do some contestants choose to sign English songs in a Chinese singing competition ? And why do the organizers allow contestants to sing English songs in the first place ?

I haven't come across any English/American singing competitions where contestants sing Chinese songs. What the fuck is wrong with Chinese these days ?

Unlike narrow minded Singaporeans, Taiwanese programmes are not so particular about the language of the song.

I remember Liang Wen Ying sang a Cantonese song during the competition.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike narrow minded Singaporeans, Taiwanese programmes are not so particular about the language of the song.

I remember Liang Wen Ying sang a Cantonese song during the competition.

Most judges don't understand anything other than Chinese. How are they going to judge the pronunciation ?

jw5

Loyal
Most judges don't understand anything other than Chinese. How are they going to judge the pronunciation ?
They don't judge the pronounciation, they only judge based on tone and pitch.

Some of the Taiwan singers who sing english songs don't even recognize or know the meaning the words. They simply memorize the pronounciation.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
They don't judge the pronounciation, they only judge based on tone and pitch.

Some of the Taiwan singers who sing english songs don't even recognize or know the meaning the words. They simply memorize the pronounciation.

But when they sing Chinese, the judges have lots to say about pronunciation. Surely the judge must first understand the meaning of a particular phrase in the song before he or she can advise on the proper articulation. This, they always do with Chinese songs. But English ? It's not that they don't; they CAN'T, for goodness sake.

WTF is wrong with the Chinese ? Despise their own culture ?

jw5

Loyal
But when they sing Chinese, the judges have lots to say about pronunciation. Surely the judge must first understand the meaning of a particular phrase in the song before he or she can advise on the proper articulation. This, they always do with Chinese songs. But English ? It's not that they don't; they CAN'T, for goodness sake.

WTF is wrong with the Chinese ? Despise their own culture ?
Not all the judges don't understand chinese.
Huang Guo Lun for example (the moustached guy who wrote songs for Faye Wong and is married to Nancy Kou) is pretty fluent in english.
Sometimes, it's the contestants who can't pronounce the words properly and not that the judges can't judge.

Don't think that the taiwanese despise their own culture. It's just that they appreciate the western culture including the music and artistes. And after the fame achieved by fatboy Lin Yuchun, they realise that being able to sing english songs is one way towards fame.

wonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mandarin Radio Stations play english songs but u never hear english radio stations playing mandarin songs. Ning Nah Beh!

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not all the judges don't understand chinese.
Huang Guo Lun for example (the moustached guy who wrote songs for Faye Wong and is married to Nancy Kou) is pretty fluent in english.
Sometimes, it's the contestants who can't pronounce the words properly and not that the judges can't judge.

Don't think that the taiwanese despise their own culture. It's just that they appreciate the western culture including the music and artistes. And after the fame achieved by fatboy Lin Yuchun, they realise that being able to sing english songs is one way towards fame.

The problem is Huang Guolun is not the only judge. It's only fair the contestants sing something that ALL judges understand. So it's an off day for the rest who couldn't understand English. I can tell you Yuan Weiren's English is zero. Which means he is blank when a contestant sings an English song. It's very unfair in a Chinese singing competition for 'some' and not all contestants to be singing English songs. It's not fair to the rest who sing Chinese songs who will be judged more critically.

So Taiwanese appreciate Western culture and sing English songs. But the truth is Western singing competition you will never see their contestants singing Chinese songs.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mandarin Radio Stations play english songs but u never hear english radio stations playing mandarin songs. Ning Nah Beh!

Might is right. Has always been the case since time immemorial. It's the victors that write the history and dictate what is "good" and "evil".

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Another fuck up thing is even when they sing chinese songs, they sang it in English R&B style.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is there any rules in the contest stating that taiwanese singing contest cannot sing English songs?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
All your questions are very simplistic. Here is how you resolve issues that are seems challenging.

1) What are the motive behind such competition? - commercial, cultural etc
2) If its commercial, then profit motives will call for wider audience and variety
3) Are the organisers concerned about the Chinese culture or should they be.

Do you wonder why American Banks in Canal Street, New York and Chinatown, SF have Chinese Character sign boards?

You can't even fill in simple emigration form to NZ not because it is hard, because you refuse to think and comprehend.

Honestly if you are custodian of Chinese culture do you want a commercial entity like TV competitions to wave the cultural flag.

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) To stand out.

2) To impress people that they know another language.

3) It is a singing competition not a chinese song only singing competition.

Don't read too much into it.