• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China Trip Help Needed!

michaely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro & Sis

I'm planning to go on a 1-week trip to China (Dongguan, Xiamen & Ningbo) after Chinese New Year.

I'm on a shoe-string budget so will be taking budget airlines to China. As I've set aside 1-week for this trip, I don't mind taking trains between cities, but of course domestic flight is still preferred if the price of train and air is not too big.

I've done some research on AirAsia (sorry no Tiger Air for me), they fly to both Guangzhou and Hangzhou, so my starting city could be either Dongguan or Ningbo.

Hope forummers who are expert in China can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance!

michaely

Alfrescian
Loyal
wat advice u r looking 4, actually? ... :confused:

Sorry, I was thinking which is the better options:

1) Fly to Guangzhou, first city Dongguan and move north, last city Ningbo and fly back from Hangzhou

2) Fly to Hangzhou, first city Ningbo and move south, last city Dongguan and fly back from Guangzhou

Just wondering which option is more economical.

Thank you.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, I was thinking which is the better options:

1) Fly to Guangzhou, first city Dongguan and move north, last city Ningbo and fly back from Hangzhou

2) Fly to Hangzhou, first city Ningbo and move south, last city Dongguan and fly back from Guangzhou

Just wondering which option is more economical.

Thank you.

Domestic flights in mainland usually cost RMB 450 ~ RMB 550 in single trip. But near Chinese New Year a single trip air-ticket may cost RMB 800 ~ RMB 1000.

(1) Guangzhou to Dongguan - by bus should cost around RMB 200 on one trip

(2) Guangdong to Zhejiang - by flight cost around RMB 800 now

(3) Ningbo to Hangzhou - by bus should cost around RMB 200 on one trip

michaely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Domestic flights in mainland usually cost RMB 450 ~ RMB 550 in single trip. But near Chinese New Year a single trip air-ticket may cost RMB 800 ~ RMB 1000.

Thanks bro for your help :smile:

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Be prepared to queue for hours if you have not bought your tickets in advance. The transport system there is jam packed for the duration of the Lunar New Year with the working population travelling home for the festive season.

Once I was stranded in Guangzhou and had to spend 2 nites there because I couldn't get any connecting flights / buses / trains to Yangshuo. I finally managed to buy an overpriced train ticket to Guilin after waiting in line for 2 days..... and had to stand in the packed train all the way to Guilin for the 16 hour journey.... and from Guilin hired a van to bring me to my destination in Yangshuo. :(

I learnt not to do any travelling to China during their holidays. :mad:

S

sammydaddy

Their train and bus stations during this period will be like fish market.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
1_crowd_trainstation2.jpg

a-big-crowd.jpg

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Bro & Sis

I'm planning to go on a 1-week trip to China (Dongguan, Xiamen & Ningbo) after Chinese New Year.

I'm on a shoe-string budget so will be taking budget airlines to China. As I've set aside 1-week for this trip, I don't mind taking trains between cities, but of course domestic flight is still preferred if the price of train and air is not too big.

I've done some research on AirAsia (sorry no Tiger Air for me), they fly to both Guangzhou and Hangzhou, so my starting city could be either Dongguan or Ningbo.

Hope forummers who are expert in China can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Travelling in China on the 1 week before and after CNY is a no no. Unless you are on international trip such as Sin-Guangzhou-Sin, or Sin-Shanghai-Sin, in between cities will be a nightmare, whether by flight or trains as it will be jam packed.

Nevertheless still in time to look for alternate places, except China, unless absolutely necessary.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Be prepared to queue for hours if you have not bought your tickets in advance. The transport system there is jam packed for the duration of the Lunar New Year with the working population travelling home for the festive season.

Once I was stranded in Guangzhou and had to spend 2 nites there because I couldn't get any connecting flights / buses / trains to Yangshuo. I finally managed to buy an overpriced train ticket to Guilin after waiting in line for 2 days..... and had to stand in the packed train all the way to Guilin for the 16 hour journey.... and from Guilin hired a van to bring me to my destination in Yangshuo. :(

Never never try to travel to China during China long week holiday. Because all transport will be crowded( Train/bus/air/illegal taxi will be fully book).
CNY is the worst due to snow delay all type of transport.
Mistake that will regret for like. And many pick pocket will be active because easy to prey on victim.

michaely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm, seems like going to China during CNY period is a no-no, maybe I should go in either Jan or Mar then.

Thank you all for your great help :smile:

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are right bro .. if you have not bought your tickets in advance. Likely you will stranded there.
Transportation cost is very pricy during Lunar New Year period.

Imagine thousand of PRC queueing up railway stations for tickets :(

I prefer to go China in May :biggrin: