• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chiam confirms his wife Potong Pasir candidate-successor

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Speaking to The Straits Times at his Meet-the-People session last night, Mr Chiam said he chose his wife as she was his 'natural successor'.

Referring to his constituents, he added: 'They told me for Potong Pasir, Mr Chiam is the first choice and anyone else who stands, they won't win, except for Mrs Chiam.'

As for Mr Lim, she agreed there was a time when they had groomed him as a possible replacement.

'But somehow or other, I'm sorry to say, he just didn't have the X-factor, (or) even the personality,' she said.

think Chiam reasons are fair enough. politics are all about winning elections. It's no use sending a more talented/capable man to PP if he really can't win there where Mrs Chiam can win.

Mrs Chiam should say Desmond is not suitable for PP, not the X-factor stuff. It's like saying the man can't win votes and not suitable for elections.
since she say that, I hope their SPP don't send this no X-factor, no personality guy to contest in my constituency.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also dounc'h know leh. :confused:

Really scratching my head on this question leh. Can name one family that is so exceptional that one generation can pass the job to next generation while elevating himself to a higher position created by the incoming generation, and key positions in a company or party to relatives ?

Really tough question to answer in a meritorcracy environment.

The above would not be possible in a democratic society. No way. :cool:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Chiam passes on to his wife, isn't he the same as Old Fart? What makes him any better then?

sampierre

Alfrescian
Loyal
think Chiam reasons are fair enough. politics are all about winning elections. It's no use sending a more talented/capable man to PP if he really can't win there where Mrs Chiam can win.

Mrs Chiam should say Desmond is not suitable for PP, not the X-factor stuff. It's like saying the man can't win votes and not suitable for elections.
since she say that, I hope their SPP don't send this no X-factor, no personality guy to contest in my constituency.

Fellow Samsters,

PLEASE DO NOT DELUDE OURSELVES INTO THINKING THAT LINA CHIAM OR DESMOND LIM OR EVEN CHIAM HIMSELF CAN RETAIN THE POTONG PASIR SEAT FOR THE SPP AT THE NEXT GE. THIS FCUKING CHIAM IS A HOPELESS CASE AND HE SHOULD JUST DISSOLVE SPP AND JOIN THE PAP INSTEAD OF PUTTING UP A WAYANG SHOW.

I AM 101% SURE THAT PAP WILL WREST BACK THIS SEAT, WHOEVER THE PAP CANDIDATE IS.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

You're right. PAP found "talents" and fielded "talents" in the past, also lost the election. Like Ng Pock Too. If it's another Chiam she might just win. If people were so against "dynasties" PAP would have been voted out long ago. In fact it seems they like familarity. For SPP, just keep PP and focus on a GRC, don't worry about the rest.

On what Mrs Chiam said. If RP and NSP both join SDA (for NSP it's "rejoin"), the sheer size of SDA will make an impact. Although NSP has been focusing hard on its brand name after leaving SDA, it hasn't built enough to outperform the brand name of parties like WP or Barisan (in the past) that would be accomplished the sheer size of SDA.

Imagine the number of stalwarts in one party/alliance and time given for party broadcast. The SDA with 7 GRCs and 7 SMCs alone gives them 40+ seats, enough to form the govt if it wins all.

jw5

Loyal
You're right. PAP found "talents" and fielded "talents" in the past, also lost the election. Like Ng Pock Too. If it's another Chiam she might just win. If people were so against "dynasties" PAP would have been voted out long ago. In fact it seems they like familarity. For SPP, just keep PP and focus on a GRC, don't worry about the rest.
One of the biggest talents who was fielded and lost was MBT, who stood in the 1984 elections and lost to CST.
That's why it was surprising when Chiam said that he would retire if he lost and asked whether we have ever seen someone who lost, come back.
Well, we have, because MBT stood for elections again in Tampines GRC in 1988 and the pap took the GRC.

metalrover

Alfrescian
Loyal

On what Mrs Chiam said. If RP and NSP both join SDA (for NSP it's "rejoin"), the sheer size of SDA will make an impact. Although NSP has been focusing hard on its brand name after leaving SDA, it hasn't built enough to outperform the brand name of parties like WP or Barisan (in the past) that would be accomplished the sheer size of SDA.

Imagine the number of stalwarts in one party/alliance and time given for party broadcast. The SDA with 7 GRCs and 7 SMCs alone gives them 40+ seats, enough to form the govt if it wins all.

If RP & NSP join SDA, that will certainly be a boost for SDA in terms of reputation and resources. 7 GRCs & 7 SMCs contested, sounds like a good idea... haha.... But will that happen or not remains a big question mark... :p

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam pass the baton to his wife because his wife has been around with him all these while he has been serving the people of Potong Pasir. She is the closest person to him who knows all about the people there and building on their work for the people of Potong Pasir.

That is the key difference why other opposition members cannot be like him. Their main interest is in overturning the ruling party and serving the people seems to be secondary. If the opposition makes serving the people their main priority or 1st priority, then we can see at least few GRCs in the hands of opposition.

Anyway Chiam is not interested in how much the opposition can win, he is only thinking of doing his best for the people. But honestly I don't think his winning chance is high in Toa payoh Bishan GRC. Because his age will be his drawback this time round

lancerglxi

Alfrescian
Loyal
you guys disappointed with Chiam?
what if Chiam say later, he did an opinion poll on his successor among PP residents and it was his wife who polled highest ahead of Desmond and others.
If like that, ok?

Why Chiam has to do this. Choosing a family member is PAP style. We always expect better moral standards from opposition.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not forgetting their daughter is within the party too.
It is a family affair political party.

What is this??
Family day planning?

:( :o :(

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
If RP & NSP join SDA, that will certainly be a boost for SDA in terms of reputation and resources. 7 GRCs & 7 SMCs contested, sounds like a good idea... haha.... But will that happen or not remains a big question mark... :p

It's practicality. WP probably wouldn't join in SDA as the only party more recognized that SDA, given that it is 50 years and remembered by more generations. SDP sees itself as a party with the best all-round strategy and different from others. I surmise any NSP candidate or GRC team would score more or less the same votes if we had a time machine and have it replace its star/sun with SDA's star and 4 circles on the ballot slip. But, and a big BUT, if SDA becomes the largest, much larger than the rest of the oppo combined, each SDA candidate whether SMC or GRC gets a boost. As for RP, I am not very sure how much the Jeyaretnam name boosts it, but its logo itself on the ballot slip won't ring more bells like any new party.

metalrover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why Chiam has to do this. Choosing a family member is PAP style. We always expect better moral standards from opposition.

Cannot believe the entire SPP/SDA got no one suitable to take up the Potong Pasir seat, don't think the voters will have any issue with someone else from SDA contesting in PP.

Got to keep it in the family, the MP allowance. Disappointed with Chiam's way of running the SPP. It's all in the family, the rest will eventually fade away when they get frustrated to their limits... Sad :(

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just read Mrs Chiam report on straits times...
she said....she hab to continue her hubby legacy...and residents in potong pasir
oso encouraged her...

but but but...isn't wat PAP Lee family is doing.....continue their legacy?

I'd respect for Mr Chiam...
but
doesn't agree with Mrs Chiam reasoning.
and saying Desmond Lim doesn't hab the "x-factor" in the media..
is like a slap on her hubby's initial decision...grooming Mr Lim as successor.

Dun understand why she had to say this to sabotage her own team members
despite the differences. It doesn' look good on the party and leadership.

sigh.

:( :o :(

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are couple of issues that might not be consistent with your point about serving the people. Chiam first contested the seat of Cairnhill and lost. It was not like he was born and lives in PP that drive his need to run in PP. He found MBT a soft target and stood in PP.

Secondly he should have realised that having rejected the PAP, PP residents lost out a lot in terms of upgrading and other pork barrel tidbits. I am sure they did not choose Chiam because of his skill in managing housing estates. I am sure the residents of PP were all about laying the foundation to have a proper political environment and parliamentary system that works for the people.

Chiam has thus failed in the big picture scenario. He only succeeded in keeping the PAP away. He should have taken the opportunity to build a reasonably strong party apparatus to throw out leaders and new blood to keep the political battle going. If he had groomed or chosen his daughter, people might not be upset but his ageing wife. This is despite being in politics for over 30 years and in parliament for 26 years. Stringing Desmond along knowing full well that he is not in the zone is poor by any standard.

In essence, as a politician and a leader of a Political party, he failed miserably and the legacy he is setting is little. I have no doubt that he was effective in his earlier terms in parliament and gave the nation hope but this has been rather disappointing.

Chiam pass the baton to his wife because his wife has been around with him all these while he has been serving the people of Potong Pasir. She is the closest person to him who knows all about the people there and building on their work for the people of Potong Pasir.

That is the key difference why other opposition members cannot be like him. Their main interest is in overturning the ruling party and serving the people seems to be secondary. If the opposition makes serving the people their main priority or 1st priority, then we can see at least few GRCs in the hands of opposition.

Anyway Chiam is not interested in how much the opposition can win, he is only thinking of doing his best for the people. But honestly I don't think his winning chance is high in Toa payoh Bishan GRC. Because his age will be his drawback this time round

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP have a chance at this seat..

Unless Lina Loh is really popular in Potong Pasir..
Anyone have any idea how well-received she is?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those who have worked with Chiam or know his associates would have realised the serious flaw in his character. His desire to control like the old man has been an issue from the very start. It has surfaced many times. It started with the Chee affair, the veto vote in SDA to repeated fall out with fellow politicians after the 1991 success.

To Chiam, the party CEC holds an administrative role and their highlights would cover housekeeping and resource management.

I recall a bitter and emotional post from the wife of one of his party associate from the 1991 team in the old SBF and it was telling. Note there is no one from the 1991 team with him. Even those left SDP to follow him initially.

If you look at his party, it membership is full of helpers, supporters and do-gooders, rather than aspiring politicians and those that can provide political direction and develop political strategy. I have no doubt that Chiam is politically astute but as a party leader he has little to show.

Funnily he is not alone. JBJ was similar in that respect. Very poor in party matters. To JBJ's credit he at least allowed the CEC to carry out its role.

Cannot believe the entire SPP/SDA got no one suitable to take up the Potong Pasir seat, don't think the voters will have any issue with someone else from SDA contesting in PP.

(

metalrover

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are couple of issues that might not be consistent with your point about serving the people. Chiam first contested the seat of Cairnhill and lost. It was not like he was born and lives in PP that drive his need to run in PP. He found MBT a soft target and stood in PP.

Secondly he should have realised that having rejected the PAP, PP residents lost out a lot in terms of upgrading and other pork barrel tidbits. I am sure they did not choose Chiam because of his skill in managing housing estates. I am sure the residents of PP were all about laying the foundation to have a proper political environment and parliamentary system that works for the people.

Chiam has thus failed in the big picture scenario. He only succeeded in keeping the PAP away. He should have taken the opportunity to build a reasonably strong party apparatus to throw out leaders and new blood to keep the political battle going. If he had groomed or chosen his daughter, people might not be upset but his ageing wife. This is despite being in politics for over 30 years and in parliament for 26 years. Stringing Desmond along knowing full well that he is not in the zone is poor by any standard.

In essence, as a politician and a leader of a Political party, he failed miserably and the legacy he is setting is little. I have no doubt that he was effective in his earlier terms in parliament and gave the nation hope but this has been rather disappointing.

The present state of the SPP/SDA says it all. Even a relatively new party dare ask for harsh terms and conditions from SPP, during talks of joining the alliance. No disrespect to his good work in Potong Pasir, but besides that, all these reflects how far Chiam has taken SPP... :(