• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

| Chelsea sack Di Matteo |

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea sack Di Matteo

Posted on 21/11/2012 at 17:02, updated on 21/11/2012 at 17:18

Chelsea have announced the departure of manager Roberto Di Matteo following a Champions League defeat to Juventus.

914226-15206577-640-360.jpg

Di Matteo was given the job on a permanent basis in the summer after leading Chelsea to an unexpected first Champions League triumph but a 3-0 loss in Turin, following a run of only two wins in seven games in all competitions, has brought a swift end to his reign.

A club statement read: "Chelsea Football Club has parted company this morning with manager Roberto Di Matteo.

"The team's recent performances and results have not been good enough and the owner and the Board felt that a change was necessary now to keep the club moving in the right direction as we head into a vitally important part of the season.

"The club faces a difficult task ahead in qualifying for the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League as well as maintaining a strong challenge for the top of the Premier League while competing in three other cup competitions. Our aim is to remain as competitive as possible and challenge strongly on all fronts.

"The owner and the board would like to thank Roberto for all he has done for the club since taking over in March. Roberto helped guide us to an historic Champions League victory and a seventh FA Cup. We will never forget the huge contribution he has made to this club's history and he will always be welcome at Stamford Bridge.

"The club will be making an announcement shortly regarding a new first team manager."

Di Matteo hinted after the loss to Juve that any questions over his future should be put to Abramovich, not him.

"At the moment, I think, with the team, we are all in it together," he said. "I'm responsible for the results and at the moment I am here and I think I will be for the future.

"But that question [about my future] is probably not one you should ask me. As far as I'm concerned, I'll keep working. But I'm responsible for the result. I'm responsible for the performance.

"It's a negative evening for us – a big disappointment for us, for the team, for the club. If anyone has to take the blame, it's me. I selected a team I was convinced was the right team to win against Juventus, or get at least a draw, so the blame belongs to me."

Abramovich is reportedly willing to offer Spaniard Rafa Benitez - who has been out of work since leaving Internazionale in 2010 - a deal until the end of the season. Benitez won the Champions League with Liverpool in 2005 and reached the final in 2007.

Abramovich is believed to want to install former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola as permanent boss when his year-long sabbatical in New York comes to an end in the summer, and Benitez would appear to be the perfect stop-gap.

Di Matteo had overseen a change in playing style this season, with three attacking midfielders - usually summer signings Eden Hazard and Oscar, plus Spain star Juan Mata - employed behind a striker, with £50 million Fernando Torres finally the undisputed first choice following the exit of Didier Drogba.

However the Italian, a former playing star at Stamford Bridge, left out Torres on Tuesday, effectively playing without a front man - a bold move that backfired.

Abramovich has a trigger-happy reputation. He sacked Avram Grant after the Israeli led Chelsea to the 2008 Champions League final then disposed of his replacement Luiz Felipe Scolari after less than a season in charge following public criticism from the players.

Guus Hiddink came in on a temporary basis - alongside his duties as Russia coach - and won the Double before returning to his national job full-time.

Carlo Ancelotti was the oligarch's next victim before Andre Villas-Boas - who had enjoyed a sensational debut season with Porto, romping to the league title and winning the Portuguese Cup and Europa League - came in to instigate a change to the more fluent style that Abramovich craved.

However he also fell out with the veteran players at Chelsea, lasting only nine months before the axe fell - and Di Matteo steadied the ship, taking a more pragmatic Chelsea to that famous European triumph in Munich against Bayern.

Benitez was approached about taking over from Villas-Boas, but was unwilling to do so at that time.

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lucky i never bet on Chelsea winning the EPL.................otherwise S'porepools will get my $5................

hope Rafa Benitez be new coach..................nothing beats watching a great team self-destruct at the hands of a dumb coach..............

jw5

Loyal
Rafa Benitez or Gerard Hollier takes over and I am off to Mars.

Get ready your spaceship. Rafa taking over is very possible, the latest is that Pep Guardiola insists he is still on sabbatical.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Get ready your spaceship. Rafa taking over is very possible, the latest is that Pep Guardiola insists he is still on sabbatical.

Bro, your points have shot up to Mars. How did you do it.
Roman appoint Rafa? someone must have gone bonkest.

Last edited:

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is absolutely disgraceful from Abramovich. RDM wins CL and FA cup for Chelsea and this is how they repay him?
Represented Chelsea both as player and Coach.

Utterly disrespectful. I hope Guardiola steers well clear otherwise his reputation will be fatally damaged.

jw5

Loyal
from espnsoccernet.com

Benitez interested in Chelsea job

Rafa Benitez has declared an interest in Chelsea's vacant managerial post.

Former Liverpool manager Benitez has been heavily linked with a move to Stamford Bridge since Roberto Di Matteo was sacked following Tuesday's 3-0 Champions League defeat away to Juventus.

The 52-year-old, who won the Champions League with the Anfield club in 2005, has said he wants to return to management with a "team that can win".

Asked by Sport360 whether Chelsea officials had approached him about succeeding Di Matteo, he said: "You ask directly. I cannot answer directly.

"In football, a lot of people are talking, so we will see what happens in the next few days. I am looking for a club that can challenge for trophies, and Chelsea is one of these clubs.

"I have to talk with my agent and see what he has been doing in the last couple of days. But I am just trying to go to a team that can win."

Some reports suggest that Benitez - installed as an early bookmakers' favourite for the job along with Pep Guardiola and Harry Redknapp - could be open to a caretaker role at the West London club.

News of Di Matteo's dismissal, a little over six months after he had delivered the Champions League victory craved by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, was swiftly followed by suggestions that an approach for Benitez would soon be made.

The Juventus defeat means the Blues face the ignominy of being the first Champions League holders to exit the competition at the group stage, and the Times reported that "Abramovich has been in direct contact with Benitez" and suggested the Russian billionaire wanted to make an appointment until the end of the season.

ESPN understands Guardiola is Abramovich's No. 1 target, with the Spaniard approached in the summer only to turn down a reported £20 million-a-year offer.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
let Bryan Robson be manager...................then Peter Reid as assistant manager...................the best lah.....................

Chelsea will fly.................

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Chelsea manager job is a very lucrative one. Work for one season or less, get sacked, and received a large severance package.
I'm sure many out of job managers are queuing. :biggrin::biggrin:
9 managers in as many seasons. This Russian mafia has too much money to burn.

Last edited:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Chelsea manager job is a very lucrative one. Work for one season or less, get sacked, and received a large severance package.
I'm sure many out of job managers are queuing. :biggrin::biggrin:
9 managers in as many seasons. This Russian mafia has too much money to burn.

It is more like Zionist mafia robbing the country. Even Putin is weary of them.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
who is going Mars? the spanish waiter is officially the coach of Chelsea...LOL...lets hope he can serve excellent Torres tapas....he won Liverpool a Champions League remember? and he brought success to Valencia.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
RDM was only warming the manager's seat aka chiam see tong. His stint was extended because of their recent CL and FA Cup victories. His credentials, I am afraid, is not world class. Trust the Russian to hunt for an established manager with better credentials.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
who is going Mars? the spanish waiter is officially the coach of Chelsea...LOL...lets hope he can serve excellent Torres tapas....he won Liverpool a Champions League remember? and he brought success to Valencia.

I am going to Mars cause of all the managers they have to appoint a spanish waiter, lol. My consolation is a spanish waiter is better than that spanish school teacher.
But then again, appointing that spanish waiter they might as well appoint PN Sivaji of the Lions fame.
He looks like his Ah Neh brother.
Chee Bye! I am going to support Man U for the rest of the season till Chelsea comes to their senses.

Last edited: