• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Catherine Lim refutes Lackey Fool

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Catherine Lim refutes SG Consul-General Jacky Foo[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
June 16th, 2014 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Editorial

Jacky_Foo-300x200.jpg
Jacky Foo

Last Saturday (14 Jun), ST published a letter from Singapore Consul-General in Hong Kong, Jacky Foo, who wrote to rebut Catherine Lim’s earlier open letter to PM Lee (‘An open letter to PM Lee from Catherine Lim‘). In her open letter, she said that Singapore is in the midst of a crisis where the people no longer trust their government, and the government no longer cares about regaining their trust.

In Mr Foo’s rebuttal (‘SGs trust their leaders – PAP Govt has won many GEs‘), he argued that Singaporeans do trust and respect the government.

Mr Foo said that since the time Ms Lim started talking about the government and the people being divided in 1994, “the ruling party has taken Singapore through a number of serious crises relatively unscathed – the 1997 Asian financial crisis, the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome in 2003, and the 2008 global financial crisis”.

“In addition, it has won four further general elections by healthy margins but still Ms Lim continues to regularly bemoan a collapse of trust and respect for the government,” Mr Foo added.

Mr Foo then cited the Edelman Trust Barometer, which showed that only 37% of respondents in the US trusted their government while UK scores 42% and Hong Kong 45%.

“Singapore scored a respectable 75 per cent,” Mr Foo proudly proclaimed.

Then switching to the issue of middle class feeling squeezed, Mr Foo attributed this to globalization.

“The government has openly acknowledged the problems of income inequality and slowing social mobility. It has done much to overcome them, and is doing more in a sustainable and responsible, not populist, way. That is why trust in government in Singapore remains high,” Mr Foo said.

In her letter to ST Forum which was published today (16 Jun), Ms Catherine Lim replied to Mr Foo, completely disagreeing with him.

“I share Singapore Consul-General in Hong Kong Jacky Foo’s admiring acknowledgment of the many achievements of the People’s Action Party (PAP) Government, especially its skilful handling of global-size problems such as the financial crises of 1997 and 2008 and the Sars epidemic,” Ms Lim wrote.

“But I disagree with Mr Foo’s argument that since the Government has achieved so much, since it has won every election and finally, since it meets the Edelman Trust Barometer benchmark, it surely has the people’s trust,” she emphasized.

“This depiction of the Singapore political situation fails to take into account its evolving dynamics and omits unflattering facts such as the shocking General Election of 2011. Even though the PAP won, it must have been forced to admit that the people’s trust had been seriously eroded as shown by the startling post-election effusion of apologies from the Prime Minister and his colleagues, and its promise to ‘listen more’, ‘communicate better’ and use the ‘light footprint’.”

Indeed, at the 2011 GE, things came to a head when angry Singaporeans started to vote against the ruling PAP. For the first time since independence, all the constituencies were contested with the exception of Tanjong Pagar GRC due to a technicality – the opposition team was disqualified for submitting their nomination papers 35 seconds late.

A couple of days before polling day, sensing problems on the ground, PM Lee said “sorry” to Singaporeans for his government’s missteps. This had never been done by any Prime Minister before and obviously PM Lee wanted to win back some votes or some “trust” from the people. When the results were announced, PAP, even though it won the election, had obtained the lowest winning percentage of votes in the history of Singapore.

At 60.1%, it was a slide of 6.5% from the previous 66.6% garnered in 2006. Furthermore, for the first time, PAP lost a GRC and 2 full Cabinet ministers in an election. Not only that, 3 other Cabinet ministers, even though they retained their MP’s seat, were forced to step down from the Cabinet, due to public discontent with their ministerial performance. Party elders Goh Chok Tong and Lee Kuan Yew also left the Cabinet.

Ms Lim continued, “Three years after GE2011, the trust has not been regained. The best proof lies not in the graffiti, the mass demonstrations or the raucous social media, but in the most unlikely place – within the PAP camp itself. Here, there are voices urging the leaders to connect better with the ground, reflecting awareness that the problem has become serious enough to warrant attention at the highest levels.”

And indeed, during a parliament debate last month, some of the moderate PAP MPs were asking the government to listen to even the raucous online voices (‘Moderate PAP MPs ask Govt to listen to online voices‘). East Coast GRC MP Dr Maliki Osman asked the government to trust its citizens by giving them the benefit of the doubt. He stressed that citizens should be engaged before they are judged.

On the recent defamation suit by PM Lee against Roy Ngerng, Mr Foo also defended PM Lee’s legal actions in his letter.

Mr Foo said, “Ms Lim is also wrong to claim that Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s defamation suit against a blogger will further erode trust. On the contrary, Mr Lee acted because the government prizes integrity as the ultimate source of the trust it enjoys.”

“A leader who does nothing when he is accused of criminally misappropriating monies from the state pension system must engender mistrust in his honesty and leadership. The person making the accusations should have basis for the accusations, and should not be gratuitously lying,” he added.

In her reply today, Ms Lim said, “Although, as Mr Foo has rightly pointed out, the Prime Minister has every right to sue, to protect his reputation, the alarming truth is that an angry crowd will choose emotionalism over rationality, and insist that the defamation suit is one more instance of PAP bullying.”

“Mr Foo commented on my long history as a complainer. I have been writing political commentaries for 20 years now. Their central theme is the need for a robust, trusting relationship between the Government and the people, which, I strongly believe, is the only guarantee for a small country to survive in an increasingly perilous world,” Ms Lim concluded in her letter.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Why get a civil servant to reply to Catherine Lim?[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
June 16th, 2014 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

lhl2.jpg
PM Lee

Dear Sir,

Dr Catherine Lim wrote a strong article decrying the erosion of trust in the Lee Hsien Loong government.

Instead of responding personally to rebut and defend his government, he allowed the Hong Kong Consul General Jacky Foo to come to his defence.

What has happened to the PAP’s much vaunted reputation for “open debate”?

Why is he hiding behind the coat-tails of the Hong Kong Consul General Jacky Foo? Surely robust and constructive politics must warrant a firm refutation of Catherine’s letter instead of burying the proverbial ostrich head in the sand?
The HK Consul General merely cited a foreign survey company named Edelman to support the claim that Singapore enjoys a very high trust rating in the world. But the problem with such surveys are they are rather tourisy and do not go down to the reality of Singapore’s ordinary citizens in the last few years. Besides that, the civil servant merely trotted out the standard mantras that the PAP has won many elections during the last 15 years notwithstanding its worst showing in the GE of 2011. No attempt was made by him to counter the increasing distrust and discontent of the citizenry as evident in the increased buzz in coffee shops, social media, Hong Lim Park and even in the Straits Times columns.
Unlike his predecessor, Prime Minister Lee did not criticize her as being “bo tua bo suay” (no respect for your elders). Perhaps he is getting tired and besieged by so many hot potatoes that seem to pop out of the woodwork during the last 3 years. These days whenever there erupts a crisis like a riot in Little India or a strike by the Chinese nationals driving SMRT buses, the tendency is for the government to appoint a Committee of Inquiry to look into the matter. It has gotten to the point that worried civil servants are wondering why the tail is being asked to wag the dog. What has happened to their political masters?

Distrust of government is a grave matter especially when it concerns people’s hard earned savings in the Central Provident Fund (CPF)? Whatever the libel committed by Blogger Roy Nerng, the mishandling of the issue by not coming to grips with it except by setting the legal hounds on him will not satisfy the grievances of the public. The common perception is: this is my CPF money and I have allowed you to use it for a very long time. Thank you Roy for bringing it up especially now when I am old and grey I just want to withdraw it or else I will never get to use it when I am alive. The groundswell is so strong that Roy has received more than $100,000 in support of his case.

Both the unprecedented influx of foreigners swelling the Singapore population and now the CPF hot potato will further incense the distrust of the people. Catherine Lim is a staunch social critic and she writes from the perspective of a patriot who is not seeking any brownie points. Surely she deserves an honest response and it is not too tiresome to get down from one’s high horse to engage in the open debate that the PAP government has prided itself for so many decades??
I do not think that anybody is being alarmistic. Many of us too sense the increasing divide across a wide segment of Singaporeans from the rich to the poor and from the young to the old. If we wish to avoid the worse scene scenarios that Catherine talked about in her most recent self conducted interview, then the Lee government must remove its ostrich head out of the sand. It must take the bull by its horns but be careful not to wear the knuckle dusters that can set us back to the eras of Operation Cold Store of 1962 or the Marxist arrests of 1987.

A besieged government is a dangerous animal. It has the tendency to bite the hands that feed them.

Patrick Low

* Submitted by TRE reader.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is a sad state of affairs when no MPs or ministers come to the defence of the PM. Instead, a consul-general thousands of miles away have to help the PM out.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a sad state of affairs when no MPs or ministers come to the defence of the PM. Instead, a consul-general thousands of miles away have to help the PM out.

When PAP MPs or Ministers come out to support the PM, they are labelled "dogs" (as though other Singaporeans with two legs are of different specie). When they don't come out to support to what is deemed a personal defamation suit, it is labelled a "sad state of affairs". Head I win tail you lose.

Winnipegjets should learn that at times Silence speaks a thousand words!
Listen to the Sound of Silence.

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When PAP MPs or Ministers come out to support the PM, they are labelled "dogs" (as though other Singaporeans with two legs are of different specie). When they don't come out to support to what is deemed a personal defamation suit, it is labelled a "sad state of affairs". Head I win tail you lose.

And no one dared

Aiyah ...typical PAP mindset ...only can see black and white, not nuances.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

And no one dared

Isn't PAP always playing head I win, tail you lose??
Only they can play the game & often even change the rules mid stream like cpf withdrawal at 55 yrs!!

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Isn't PAP always playing head I win, tail you lose??
Only they can play the game & often even change the rules mid stream like cpf withdrawal at 55 yrs!!

Hang those PAP maggots cockroaches with piano wires from lamp posts to make them dance before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.
BBQ those PAP maggots cockroaches before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.
Cut a few more arseholes into those PAP maggots cockroaches to let out their shit before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.
Make those PAP maggots cockroaches eat joss sticks and candle wax before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.

PAP is finished.
The stinking glue and terror that hold PAP together is that old fart smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY. LKY is about to die in days or weeks.
LKY will never allow good decent people into the PAP and good decent people will not want to get into the PAP. Those in PAP are the most corrupt and moral degenerates and moral bankrupts and moral filths that are being presented to stinkaporeans as moral compasses.
None of those in PAP work for anyone but that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY, to help him hold down Singaporeans to screw and fuck hundreds of BILLIONs from us all into smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY stinkapore sovereign funds.
They are there in PAP because LKY know that they are a bunch of self serving greedy bastards and scrapings of scums of society. To call them maggots cockroaches will be to insult real maggots and real cockroaches.

WE ALL ARE NOW WAITING FOR THE DEATH OF LKY IN COMING DAYS OR WEEKS.
WE ALL WILL YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AGAIN AND AGAIN DANCING SINGING ON TABLE TOPS AND STREETS
WE THEN WILL SEE THOSE IN PAP WITH SHARPENED KNIVES HOOTING ARSEHLOON A DOZEN NEW ARSEHOLES AND THE DEATH OF THE ENTIRE LEE KWA CLAN
WE THEN WILL PICK UP PIANO WIRES AND HANG ALL THOSE REMAINING PAP AND THEIR COLLABORATORS FROM LAMP POSTS AND SEE THOSE BASTARDS AND BITCHES DANCE.
AND HAPPINESS WILL RETURN TO OUR LAND.
AND STINKAPORE WILL BECOME SINGAPORE ONCE MORE.
https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en