• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canned Food Canning Mystery

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We all know canned food - canned soup, canned fruits etc.

There's a type of can that's very easy to open, just pull the ring to open the can. There's another type, without the opening ring, that requires struggling with a can opener.

Question is, since easy opening ring has been invented and in use for so long, why are some canned food producers still insisting on plain cans?

Bigger question is, from big producers like Campbell, some cans have opening rings and some cans don't. Quite a mystery to me.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
We all know canned food - canned soup, canned fruits etc.

There's a type of can that's very easy to open, just pull the ring to open the can. There's another type, without the opening ring, that requires struggling with a can opener.

Question is, since easy opening ring has been invented and in use for so long, why are some canned food producers still insisting on plain cans?

Bigger question is, from big producers like Campbell, some cans have opening rings and some cans don't. Quite a mystery to me.

I believe it is due to costs.

Anyway, I rarely see tin or aluminium cans without opening ring these days.

boundThunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some comes with a key-like device that you have to roll across.
The square or oblong ones...
Can openers are so modern in comparison.

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Can opener manufacturers : Oei don't kill our business leh!

Canned food manufacturers : ok ok so how are u going to blanjah us?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One is because of cost and 2nd because easy open can accidently pull the ring can cause leak.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tink ze ring opener type was patented ... so hv 2 pay 2 use ... cannot anyhow copy n implement ...

other reason probly ... existing canning machine still can use ... dun fix it ...