• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can Singaore survive a multitude 7 quake

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can Singaore survive a magnitude 7 quake

In my opinion, given the land size and infrastructres of high rise buildings at least 80% will perish instantly before foreign aids arrive. Anyone agrees or disagrees......

Last edited:

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Isn't this what the Lau CB TRAITOR wants to see? He can then have an excuse to FTrashise the entire Peesai!

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Can Singaore survive a magnitude 7 quake

In my opinion, given the land size and infrastructres of high rise buildings at least 80% will perish instantly before foreign aids arrive. Anyone agrees or disagrees......

i guess singapore cannot survive.
but lucky we do not have too much earthquake recorded in history of this little red dot.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal

but lucky we do not have too much earthquake recorded in history of this little red dot.

The most fearful is the unknown, going by the frequecy of earthquakes happening any place anytime around the planet, especially those in indonesia that is so near this red dot, we might just run out of luck anytime.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The most fearful is the unknown, going by the frequecy of earthquakes happening any place anytime around the planet, especially those in indonesia that is so near this red dot, we might just run out of luck anytime.

dun think there is any fault line near us.
so i dun think we will have a massive earthquake
but we have a super volcano near us.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well, that super volcano is man made, it's not unknown thus not so fearful. It doesnt have the fury and devastating power of the devine.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

From The Times
January 14, 2010
Haiti and its 200 years of tragedy
How did you feel when you heard the news of the earthquake?
Martin Fletcher

As I heard reports of the Haiti earthquake yesterday morning my mind flashed back to a day in September 1991, when I hitched a lift from Miami to Port-au-Prince on a tiny plane chartered by a US TV network. We were the first journalists to reach Haiti after the coup that overthrew Jean-Bertrand Aristide, a fiery priest elected president nine months earlier. What we found was heart-rending.

Haiti was once the jewel of the French empire — a lush Caribbean island. In 1804 the world’s first successful slaves’ revolt won its independence. Since then it had been downhill all the way, culminating in the terrifying reigns of Papa and Baby Doc Duvalier, sustained by their Tonton Macoutes death squads. Haiti is the western hemisphere’s poorest nation, its once fertile hills stripped as bare as its coffers.

Aristide was no saint, but for the first time in 200 years Haiti’s oppressed masses had elected their own champion and he had been stolen from them. Heavily-armed goons, known as “attachés”, patrolled the slums of Carrefour and Cité Soleil. The people cowered in huts flanked by open sewers, full of fear and drained of hope. Each night corpses appeared in alleyways to discourage rebellion.

It is easy to turn on the Today programme, hear news of conflicts, massacres or natural disasters in small and distant countries such as Haiti and forget about them over your toast and coffee. It is less easy if you have been to those places and witnessed the people’s suffering.

Haiti was my first such experience. More recently I have seen how Robert Mugabe has destroyed Zimbabwe, how Ethiopia’s US-backed invasion of Somalia wrecked its best hope of peace in a generation, how millions of Iranians saw their hopes of freedom dashed in last year’s stolen presidential election. In each case the wickedness of a small elite translated into real suffering for real human beings and I felt real anger.

Journalists are often accused of callousness, but it is not true. We do become emotionally involved in stories. I felt angry again watching Alastair Campbell tell the Chilcot inquiry on Tuesday how “incredibly proud” he was of the Iraq invasion. They were the words of a man who had seen that country only cocooned in a prime minister’s entourage — not in the aftermath of suicide bombs, bodies floating down the Tigris, the unbearable grief of the bereaved and displaced. Yes Saddam Hussein was evil, but there had to be a better way.

Haiti’s earthquake was a natural disaster, but it compounded 200 years of man-made suffering for the gentle people of that wretched land. My sadness long outlasted breakfast.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQdxFHmaKP0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQdxFHmaKP0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

AhSo1

Alfrescian
Loyal

An excellent question. Methinks such an outcome would depend primarily on the order of magnitude of the natural disaster. As I understand the Richter Scale a 7.0 strike is ten times more devastating than a 6.0 event. Therefore what is the breaking point for our infrastructure? 7.0? 8.0? I am sure some enlightened soul with knowledge of our civil codes would be able to provide some valuable insight.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Well, that super volcano is man made, it's not unknown thus not so fearful. It doesnt have the fury and devastating power of the devine.

what do you mean super volcano is man made? i am not talking about the volcano in front of mirage hotel in las vegas or the copy in sentosa. i am talking about real shit. TOBA.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQdxFHmaKP0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQdxFHmaKP0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

not that one. that is just a normal volcano. bigger than normal.
but not a super volcano.

it is big but not super.

it is like comparing king kong bundy and t-rex.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

An excellent question. Methinks such an outcome would depend primarily on the order of magnitude of the natural disaster. As I understand the Richter Scale a 7.0 strike is ten times more devastating than a 6.0 event. Therefore what is the breaking point for our infrastructure? 7.0? 8.0? I am sure some enlightened soul with knowledge of our civil codes would be able to provide some valuable insight.

8.0 is hundred times more than 7.0...:biggrin:

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

not that one. that is just a normal volcano. bigger than normal.
but not a super volcano.

it is big but not super.

it is like comparing king kong bundy and t-rex.

you think sgp got a higher chances of getting wipe out by a super volcano than a earthquake or tsunami?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

first of all, it's magnitude, not multitude. a multitude of 7.0 earthquakes happening every other second will destroy any city. :biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

8.0 is hundred times more than 7.0...:biggrin:

the richter scale is base-10 logarithmic, meaning an earthquake measuring 8 is ten times larger (not hundred) than one measuring 7. 8 will be one hundred times larger than 6.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sg has very poor building codes with regards to earthquake safety, because no one in authority in sg believes earthquakes will ever happen in sg, which is partially true. the problem with that mindset of complacency and/or denial is that they are lulled into a false safety that only seismic disasters happen in neighboring indonesia and 'faraway' philippines. well, sumatra is not far away, and sumatra is perhaps one of the world's most active seismic region. the whole huge island is a result of subduction under two giant continental-size tectonic plates rubbing against each other, with one layer more dense than the other. the denser layer submerges and forms an ocean trench while the lesser emerges, forming land and the island. sumatra will only continue to expand, causing further constriction and more shallowness in the malacca straits. in such a subduction scenario, volcanoes form as soil and rock material in the denser layer melts into lava below the earth's colder crust. they have no place to go but float to the top, by pushing thru' the crust via whatever cracks and passageways they can find. it's just sg's luck or lack of it that sumatra happens to be home to one of the most dangerous super volcanoes on this planet. a combination of once in a lifetime seismic and volcanic activities on sumatra will render the whole region useless for decades.

how many times do i have to repeat this? :rolleyes:

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal

what do you mean super volcano is man made? i am not talking about the volcano in front of mirage hotel in las vegas or the copy in sentosa. i am talking about real shit. TOBA.

Oop! my bad, if it's the real shit Toba then it's total annihilation, red dots doesnt exist anymore.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tangshan, like SGP is equally further away from the nearest fault line..look at Google Map..

But still kena until very jialat jialt...dun think it's fault line problem....we are all under the God's mercy..

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is something that has been on my minds. OK we are not in earthquake area but does the supposed earthquake area ever change - even if so slightly. After all the depth in which the quake occurs makes a big difference.

On the other hand we are pushing the envelope and basing our codes on NO earthquake/tremor. What if there is a big 8.0 in a part of Indonesia that is very close to us and the quake is close to the surface? Will the buildings on reclaim land be able to withstand such a quake with our neighbor?

As it is we read about swaying buildings in Singapore leading to people evacuating in panic. In natural disasters one should plan for the 100 year floor or in earthquakes where buildings can collapse a 500 year tremor. A good move would be to base our building codes on Indo have a massive 8.5 quake near surface which might mean that we need to have our buildings designed for a 6.0 quake.

sg has very poor building codes with regards to earthquake safety, because no one in authority in sg believes earthquakes will ever happen in sg, which is partially true. the problem with that mindset of complacency and/or denial is that they are lulled into a false safety that only seismic disasters happen in neighboring indonesia and 'faraway' philippines. well, sumatra is not far away, and sumatra is perhaps one of the world's most active seismic region. the whole huge island is a result of subduction under two giant continental-size tectonic plates rubbing against each other, with one layer more dense than the other. the denser layer submerges and forms an ocean trench while the lesser emerges, forming land and the island. sumatra will only continue to expand, causing further constriction and more shallowness in the malacca straits. in such a subduction scenario, volcanoes form as soil and rock material in the denser layer melts into lava below the earth's colder crust. they have no place to go but float to the top, by pushing thru' the crust via whatever cracks and passageways they can find. it's just sg's luck or lack of it that sumatra happens to be home to one of the most dangerous super volcanoes on this planet. a combination of once in a lifetime seismic and volcanic activities on sumatra will render the whole region useless for decades.

how many times do i have to repeat this? :rolleyes: