• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can Nathan speak mandrain now?

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
_40752026_nathan203.jpg

SINGAPORE : The secret is out -- President SR Nathan has been learning Mandarin for the last five years. :p:p

225px-President_of_Singapore_SR_Nathan.jpg

And Channel NewsAsia has learnt that he might deliver his first Mandarin speech on Nomination Day, which falls on August 17.

For a group of top students from Malaysia, meeting the Singapore President at the Istana was the highlight of their four-day visit here.

The top students from the Malay College Kuala Kangsar, or MCKK, are here for the new Singapore-Malaysia Student Friendship Programme.

The initiative by the Singapore International Foundation aims to promote strong ties between students in the two countries.

Playing host to their counterparts are students from the Raffles Institution.

Said Timothy Chow Zhi Hao, head prefect at Raffles Institution, "From these small steps we can actually promote understanding between our countries. I don't think either country can survive without each other … So in terms of promoting understanding, such exchange programmes will be very crucial."

Said Mohamad Farhan bin Mohamad Sobri, a student at MCKK, "My ambition is to become a politician. So maybe one day, if God wills it, then I can meet these guys again."

Unknown to many, Mr Nathan is also studying -- he has been learning Mandarin since he became President.

His tutor is Dr Chua Chee Lay of the National Institute of Education.

Said Dr Chua, "He wanted to learn Mandarin to better communicate with his Chinese countrymen. But he doesn't want to show off his efforts. He's very sincere and down to earth in learning the language."

Said President Nathan, "Well, I want to learn, but I'm struggling because one, my programme is quite heavy, and by the time you're back at home you're tired enough to go to sleep ... And also the lessons are staggered, you can't follow. The second thing that's very difficult is that you don't have enough opportunity to hear people conversing together for you to pick words, pick a line and all that.

"So I'm struggling at my age. But nonetheless I hope someday I would be able to speak to you."

His tutor Dr Chua said, "The President is very careful in his choice of words. He also prefers to use words that are more polite and humble. There's no arrogance even though he's the head of the country. In the last five years, he has acquired much progress and confidence in his Mandarin, but despite my suggestion for him to make a public speech in Mandarin, he refuses."

Although President Nathan has been learning Mandarin for the last five years, he has never delivered a public speech in Mandarin.

But his Chinese tutor says President Nathan might just make his first attempt on Nomination Day. - CNA /ct

email0091.jpg