• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can he own a car at 19

desperateuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both me and my wife do not have driving licence except 19 yr old son has.

Can i buy him a used car and register under his name? And how about the car insurance?

All answer welcomed. (good or bad one)

Thank you all

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
your son is extremely lucky... to own a car at 19. Your avatar looks very happening for a 40-50 something year old person.... (You said all answers are welcome right)...

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
he can own a car...insurance no prob...no ncb only as he is first time owner...the only setback is that he will have difficulty taking a loan as he is not working...no prob if you are paying for it in cash...

Starving.Artist

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes you can register under his name and yes you can insure it too... do note due to his age your insurance will be high. Best to select a 'low risk' kind of car... meaning definitely no 2 door cars, no coupes, no cabriolets, no turbo etc... as the latter will attract higher insurance premiums... another way to go is if you pay for a car in full, you will need only buy cheaper 3rd party insurance as opposed to comprehensive when you take a loan for a car.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
debt+free+car.jpg

desperateuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes you can register under his name and yes you can insure it too... do note due to his age your insurance will be high. Best to select a 'low risk' kind of car... meaning definitely no 2 door cars, no coupes, no cabriolets, no turbo etc... as the latter will attract higher insurance premiums... another way to go is if you pay for a car in full, you will need only buy cheaper 3rd party insurance as opposed to comprehensive when you take a loan for a car.

Thank you for your help and have a nice day

desperateuk

Alfrescian
Loyal

he can own a car...insurance no prob...no ncb only as he is first time owner...the only setback is that he will have difficulty taking a loan as he is not working...no prob if you are paying for it in cash...

Thank you for your help and have a nice day

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both me and my wife do not have driving licence except 19 yr old son has.

Can i buy him a used car and register under his name? And how about the car insurance?

All answer welcomed. (good or bad one)

Thank you all

What is the reason you're buying him a car? Transport only?

If it's only for transport, I would recommend you buy him a 10 ~ 15 years Toyota Corolla, those could be had between 10 ~ 20k and should be pretty reliable as long as you do an STA inspection before buying to ensure there're no major faults.

You could insure the above type of car under 3rd party making it much cheaper for a new + under 21 driver else, your premiums would be sky high. Stay away from coupes, turbo charged, big capacity engines, continental cars, Civics, Lancers & Imprezas, they generally attract higher premiums.

Financing the car wise, you can be a guarantor for your son but bear in mind the interest rates for such cars. They can be upwards of 3% PA.

Given that it's his first car and that he is young, a cheap car would be sensible as he is most certain to get into an accident, minor or major and if the car is old or cheap, it'll tax you less financially.