• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Brunei - The Only ASEAN Country With A Falling Living Standard

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
This situation isn't unique to Singapore. It occurs in all big cities where space is a premium.

Ahh.. you touched on an interesting point.

When I mentioned owners of capital, I am also referring to business owners, people who plow money back into their businesses. You are probably referring to asset owners, in this case, owners of real estate properties.

Clearly there is a difference between how business owners and asset owners make money. Asset owners like property investors invest into asset creation because it is more profitable than anywhere else, if they have the means to choose. Asset investments are profitable because businesses are profitable. Businesses are profitable because revenues exceed costs. Costs include rentals as well as wages.

Are wages too low in Singapore compared to other comparable cities around the world? I suggest looking at the GDP breakdown between corporate profits, household income and government receipts. It is imperfect, but it is the best starting point that an anonymous poster in an internet forum can give to political aspirants.

If low household income is the problem, you can try to increases wages, reduce government receipts from households or make transfer government payments to households. Governments would have less tax receipts or more social expenditures. The "status-quo" solution for the establishment is to increase taxation for owners of physical capital, and not that of operating businesses. Property income needs to be taxed like corporate income.

The Gini coefficient will still stay unfortunately, but households are better off.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My friend is now based in Brunei and will refute this report. There is an increase in economic development as the mat sultan finally has realized that relying on oil for his small little kingdom will eventually spell the demise and eventual obscurity of it. The food prices are still relatively controlled via subsidies and petrol while cheap, the subsidies are being taken away slowly and not suddenly. Where did you get this report anyway? One thing though, the inefficiency and the lack of economic initiative is killing the mats slowly. What do you expect when most of the mats are working for the government and Shell?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah Ah Sam, you are a real ultra right wing Nazi man,,even Hitler will be a shamed,,but at least for now you are consistent,,,

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Wah Ah Sam, you are a real ultra right wing Nazi man,,even Hitler will be a shamed,,but at least for now you are consistent,,,

I'm not right wing. I simply believe that people have to take personal responsibility for their lives and the outcomes of the choices they make along the way.

I don't support distorting the free market with too many laws and regulations either. Any laws which are enacted should do nothing more than ensure free and fair competition rather than propping up those who aren't talented enough to play the game.

exobay

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not right wing. I simply believe that people have to take personal responsibility for their lives and the outcomes of the choices they make along the way.

I don't support distorting the free market with too many laws and regulations either. Any laws which are enacted should do nothing more than ensure free and fair competition rather than propping up those who aren't talented enough to play the game.

Does that tenet applies to politics as well? You abhor shackled and unfair competition, but not in politics?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Does that tenet applies to politics as well?

Of course it does. The way the PAP keeps moving goalposts and suppressing dissent is shocking. It shows a total lack of confidence in their abilities.

exobay

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course it does. The way the PAP keeps moving goalposts and suppressing dissent is shocking. It shows a total lack of confidence in their abilities.

So you think they are unfairly propping up those not talented enough to play the game right? Since they are suppressing others who may be more talented, then it confirms they have overpaid undeserving politicians who otherwise should earn pittance.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

All these are right-wing beliefs you twit! :biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
So you think they are unfairly propping up those not talented enough to play the game right?

If they did that, they should be taken to task. However, the PAP team is definitely talented. Some of them may not be eloquent but their dedication and intelligence are undeniable.

exobay

Alfrescian
Loyal

No doubt they will lose more wards if they had not resort to unfair practices, this point we do agree.

If they did that, they should be taken to task. However, the PAP team is definitely talented. Some of them may not be eloquent but their dedication and intelligence are undeniable.

What then is puzzling your contention that they are a great team and all definitely talented. How could that be?

Youalso said "If they did that," which we had already agreed, they actually did suppressed dissent and commit unfair practices, and therefore there is no "if's or but's."