• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Breaking..Our SG Inflation Rise to 4.6%. Who to Blame? How to tahan?

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nabei damm stupid America Idiot Causing Worldwide Inflation!!!!!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...o-2-year-high-adding-pressure-to-tighten.html

Singapore Inflation Accelerates to 2-Year High, Adding Pressure to Tighten

By Shamim Adam - Jan 24, 2011 12:00 AM ET

Singapore’s inflation rate last month rose to the highest level since December 2008, adding pressure on the central bank to damp price gains by allowing greater currency appreciation.

The consumer price index increased 4.6 percent in December from a year earlier, after climbing 3.8 percent in November, the Department of Statistics said in a statement today. The median estimate of 13 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News was for a 4.5 percent gain. Prices rose 0.2 percent from November, without adjusting for seasonal factors.

Singapore’s rebound last year from a 2009 global recession has fueled inflation, prompting the island to tighten monetary policy through faster currency gains and take steps to cool the property market. Private home prices rose to a record in 2010, while the cost of car-ownership permits surged as the economy expanded an unprecedented 14.7 percent.

“Higher-than-normal inflation is here to stay for much of this year,” Irvin Seah, an economist at DBS Group Holdings Ltd. in Singapore, said before the report. Inflation may “stay above the 4 percent level in the next few months. Oil prices and wage inflation will start to feature more prominently in the consumer price index.”

The Monetary Authority of Singapore uses the exchange rate instead of interest rates to manage inflation, which it forecasts will average between 2 percent and 3 percent this year. Inflation was 2.8 percent in 2010, today’s report showed.

Trading Band

The city state’s inflation rate may reach as much as 5 percent in the coming months, central bank Deputy Managing Director Ong Chong Tee said last week. The Singapore dollar’s appreciation is helping limit imported inflation and the currency’s trading band is providing flexibility to cope with capital inflows, Ong said Jan. 17.

The Singapore dollar has gained more than 9 percent against the U.S. currency in the past year. The central bank said in October it will steepen and widen the currency’s trading band while continuing to seek a “modest and gradual appreciation.” Its next monetary policy review is in April.

There is more than a 50 percent chance that Singapore’s central bank will tighten further in April, Yougesh Khatri, a senior economist at Nomura Holdings Inc. in Singapore, said at a press briefing today.

To contact the reporter on this story: Shamim Adam in Singapore at [email protected]

Balllessme

Alfrescian
Loyal
inflation shoot up... but you still can see people rushing to buy Baw Kwa... Go to NATA's fair for booking.... Check up the quene in major Shopping Centre... Go MBS/Resort... and so on... Some might siad that majority are FT... but I see more Singapoureans...

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
inflation shoot up... but you still can see people rushing to buy Baw Kwa... Go to NATA's fair for booking.... Check up the quene in major Shopping Centre... Go MBS/Resort... and so on... Some might siad that majority are FT... but I see more Singapoureans...
Hi No ball,so u are saying that Sinkies are doing very well under this global inflation?

U do not believe in PAP's statistics?pl produce some evidence to prove withwise!

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi No ball,so u are saying that Sinkies are doing very well under this global inflation?

U do not believe in PAP's statistics?pl produce some evidence to prove withwise!

I think the best evidence is eyewitnessing. Go to any supermarket, NTUC, CS, SS, Giant, whatever. People are carting trolleys full of stuff worth hundreds of dollars day in and day out. Not necessarily during Christmas or CNY season, it's ongoing all year round, recession or not.

Balllessme

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just my general view... just go Ikea or Bugis to check it out... was at Ikea, 2 weekend ago... my sis quene for 20++ mins just to buy some items...

Knew some contacts in Car Sales industry.... though Borneo, Kah and other Korean's brand sales is dead... the German - BMW.... is making big bucks.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just my general view... just go Ikea or Bugis to check it out... was at Ikea, 2 weekend ago... my sis quene for 20++ mins just to buy some items...

Knew some contacts in Car Sales industry.... though Borneo, Kah and other Korean's brand sales is dead... the German - BMW.... is making big bucks.
Inflation is a real global issue,I do not think China can solve this one.

And yes,it is engineered by Fed,intention is to force China to raise value of its RMB,it is still being played out,but my humble view is that China cannot win.

Inflation is REAL!

Balllessme

Alfrescian
Loyal

And yes,it is engineered by Fed,intention is to force China to raise value of its RMB,it is still being played out,but my humble view is that China cannot win.

Inflation is REAL!

In technical wise.. Yes.. Inflation globally is very real as I believe some supermarket in China is change price tag for item a few times in a day.
Hopefully this dont happen here... :(

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
In technical wise.. Yes.. Inflation globally is very real as I believe some supermarket in China is change price tag for item a few times in a day.
Hopefully this dont happen here... :(
Well.PAP has allowed S$ to go up by nearly 10% against USD ,since most of the goods are priced in USD,one can imagine the serious consequence of this development,.

It is still early days yet.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Breaking..Our SG Inflation Rise to 4.6%. Who to Blame? How to tahan? ...
inflation 4.6%? ... datz nutting! ...

ze world's greediest politicians led by ah loon has astronomical salaries! ... dat ah say evry month c his cpf n feel so rich dat he laff until lao sai! ... watz inflation 4.6%? ... din feel anyting! ... :confused:

Balllessme

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well.PAP has allowed S$ to go up by nearly 10% against USD ,since most of the goods are priced in USD,one can imagine the serious consequence of this development,.

It is still early days yet.

yeap... now is trading at 128.32... have a casual talk with one of the AM guys from Banks... they wont be shocked if one day is 1 to 1....:eek:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes our inflation is rising much faster than wages.....we can buy less with our money while in the US the Americans have has 0.9% inflation in 2009, 1.1% inflation in 2010. Sing prices have increased 10% more than in the US. All nations are suffering except US where the consumers are the most fortunate. No wonder so many Singaporeans flocking to the US to go on shopping sprees.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inflation is REAL!

The worry is not for China or USA. I don't give a fuck about them as long as they don't disturb our daily lives. But the moment China join the fucker USA and Europe in printing money to rescue their bankcrupt system, Singapore is fucked for good.

How long do you think PAP can or will hold up SGD for us? The exporters will kpkb to the gahmen. They need to make living also. So how? PAP has track record for "pro business". What you think will happen to us?

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lah, US wants inflation and low interest rate to inflate away the high debt levels and low interest helps spur growth. It is not to force China to increase Yuan. If so, it has not been successful because the country is better able to mitigate high inflation than poorer countries.

QE2 is too blunt an instrument to use on China. Countries being killed by QE2 are those with products that compete with US (not the lower end goods that the US do not mfg). Stuff like GE jet engines, Boeing planes, caterpillar tractors....... The Germans/Japs are the ones that get hit the most.

Inflation is REAL!

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lah, US wants inflation and low interest rate to inflate away the high debt levels and low interest helps spur growth. It is not to force China to increase Yuan. If so, it has not been successful because the country is better able to mitigate high inflation than poorer countries.

QE2 is too blunt an instrument to use on China. Countries being killed by QE2 are those with products that compete with US (not the lower end goods that the US do not mfg). Stuff like GE jet engines, Boeing planes, caterpillar tractors....... The Germans/Japs are the ones that get hit the most.
I agree with Richard Duncan,China can't win a trade war,and he explained it very well

‘China can’t win a trade war; it will be massacred’
Posted on November 29, 2010 by Venky
(This interview with economist and fund manager Richard Duncan, on the prospects of a trade war, and its implications, was published in DNA edition dated November 29, 2010.)

siciliandefence.wordpress.com/2010/.../‘china-can’t-win-a-trade-war’/

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

Of course , the high COE price will squeeze out those who are not rich and not poor. The rich will still continue to buy cars and they normally buy european cars. So it doesn't really affect them. Life still goes on.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah both US and China cannot win a trade war. Their economy is that closely connected. Why do you think there was the recent lovefest with Hu and Obama in Washington. The entire US panel was all top US CEOs. US mfg goods are all high tech and the largest growth for such goods is in China.

GE, Boeing, GM all salivating at China market. US exports to China topping $100B and growing at close to 30%. All these exporters compete directly with Germany, japan, France, Korea. I seriously doubt if US side will want a tradewar. GM sells more cars in China than in the US!

Well who knows whether politics will drive such a confrontation will but a tradewar will drive the world into a global recession and the poorer countries will suffer.

Already US and EU debt being supported by the Chinese. Almost $3T is reserves. Any trade war would mean Beijing is forced to use these reserves to support its economy. Selling these debt instruments could collapse Portugal, Spain and US interest rate would jump.

I agree with Richard Duncan,China can't win a trade war,and he explained it very well

‘China can’t win a trade war; it will be massacred’
Posted on November 29, 2010 by Venky
(This interview with economist and fund manager Richard Duncan, on the prospects of a trade war, and its implications, was published in DNA edition dated November 29, 2010.)

siciliandefence.wordpress.com/2010/.../‘china-can’t-win-a-trade-war’/