• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

BEST PAID Govt Suck U Dry Then Ask U To Spend to Help Economy!

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi SC,

Previously we heard when the govt stated that the reserves would be used in times of trouble.

Well if this is not "times of trouble" then I don't know what is.

This is my take.

They should now reduce or temporarily halt, or better still just remove altogether the 7% GST. (Perhaps for the next 2 years as a sign that the PAP govt does indeed care for the people.)

I think the best solution is to reduce it by 3 percentage points.

Afterall, $5 billion dollars less in revenue a year is nothing compared to the losses Temasick has already racked up.

The $110 billion dollar reserve should now be tapped into to alleviate Sgeans, and I mean Sgeans that have been citizens for at least 15 years, problems.

An immediate enforcement of a moratorium on pay hikes, fee increases by monopolies, state run enterprises, civil service and GLCs - time for the fat cats to lose some weight!

They can make it up with new ERPs, more fines for sleeping in parks, stricter application of the laws when fines are imposed and by increasing water tariffs as we know 2011 is coming and the Malaysian water deal is going to be over.

No tweaking of the CPF, as it is it's been tweaked until it's sore.

Put $50 billion in a FD at a rate of say 2% p.a. which would generate about $1 billion p.a. (conservatively) rather than putting money into a blackhole that they are so used to doing. This will fund the shortfall in GST.

If we citizens have to take hits all the time, then it is about time the govt takes a bigger hit and take one for team Singapore.

Come to think of it, with the STI losing more than 50% of its value, I wonder if there are reserves left at all, given Ho Ching's investment "golden thumb".

Cheers,

MM

Hi MM,

Thanks for sharing your ideas and you must have given a lot of thought on how we ordinary citizens could be helped during this particularly difficult times.

GST: The 7% GST is excessively heavy and this is felt by the population even at the best of times. Given that HK has rejected the GST system of taxing and yet we had ours increased from 5% to 7% during a year of budget surplus shows how insensitive our govt is towards difficulties faced by its own citizens. I am with you on a 3 percentage points reduction since it would help us tide over this crisis. Yes, $5 billion is not a great sum compared to the amount GIC and Temasek has lost so far and it is for a worthy cause - its own citizens, IF the govt has any thoughts for us. If they do not, then they will whip out a thousand and one usual excuses why it should not do so.

Reserves: Yes, rainy days have come and now is time this is used to help citizens. I noticed you have specifically mentioned citizens for the last 15 years although I might add that this criteria should be for those who are not born here. While they have been investing abroad with the money it has to come a time where charity begins at home for its own citizens, unless they feel that citizens are replaceable with immigration which would then mean that being a citizen is meaningless.

Funds recovery through fines: We should bring back tighter enforcements of laws in many areas and some of which you have already touched on. In addition, if you look at the litter these days, I would believe that we should have even stricter enforcement than in the early days when this law came into force. Increase the fines 2 to 3 fold.

I would not even want to make further suggestions as to what form they need to turn to to recover the shortfall but increasingly bleeding the citizens to generate their funds will have to stop.

CPF: Any tweaking of this is always at the expense of the population so I agree with you, this should be left untouched.

Freeze on salaries and essential services: You have my complete support on this. The obscene salaries of those at the top will have to come down by at least by 50 percent. I cannot believe that while significant proportion of people are in dire straits (some losing their jobs) they can still justify their current salaries with another obscene increment on the way.

Raising tariffs and prices from utilities to transport during a period like this smacks of arrogance and displays a complete lack of rational thinking on their part. They will not only have to freeze the increases but need to make a U-turn to the previous prices. The fat cat is getting fatter at the population's expense again. The obscene salaries and the availalbiltity of scholars have not made any difference in their approach to better govern this country.

Employment: Nobody likes a hand out if one is able bodied to work for a fair salary to bring up a family. We are not convinced that keeping middle management foreigners here will help to provide jobs for Singaporeans.

They have repeated this ad nauseam hoping that by repeating over and over again it may somehow become the truth but they have yet to provide an instance of what they say is the truth. On the other hand, there are many living examples of Singaporeans being displaced in their jobs because of these foreigners.

Even when it comes to retrenchments they have declined any obligation to look after Singaporeans first. The scheme in which the NTUC chief announced for employers to keep staff on their payroll but send them for further training does not even qualify if this scheme is meant for Singaporeans only or are foreigners included. If it is the latter, then are we again spending our money on others at a time like this?

Cheers